Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Victims of Salthill Gang urged to come forward

Options
  • 16-07-2013 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

What's all this I am hearing about some story going to be in Tribune/Sentinal about a group of young thugs terrorizing young ones in Salthill causing horrific injuries to them. Has anybody else heard about this. I think they were trying to keep it under wraps so that tourists and people going to the beach would still keep going to Salthill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

Jesus, First I've heard of it. Have anymore details?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, let's wait until it's actually reported before the discussion start.

When someone has a source, please PM a mod to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Check on The Connacht Tribune online

Seemingly there is a gang going around Salthill attacking young people. Anyone else know about this.

Did have another Thread but Biko killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Link to the story:

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/895-gang-of-thugs-terrorising-young-people-in-salthill

Also heard it on the Galway Bay FM news this morning. Made me choke on my cereal.

amazing .....

biko - now that it has been "confirmed" in your eyes, you should lift that very quick "closure" your stuck on the original post. It has been on the news since last night.

• Advertisement

why shouldn't this be publicized and have everybody know about it. It shouldn't be kept under wraps just because it is happening in Salthill - young people should be aware of their safety in Salthill when they go swimming. To be honest our own local people's safety is far more important than keeping it under wraps because of sun worshippers coming to Salthill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Don't publicise it - it will scare the tourists!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

But sure it is being publicised, its in the paper and online, what do you want, signs saying 'thugs ahead' or 'beware of the youth'? The Gardai are obviously aware of it so let them do their job and hopefully that will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Disgraceful. I find that eyre square has become a horrible spot for thugs and drunks. I don't feel safe in galway anyone

fishy, you did not manage to find a source yourself and yet you opened a second thread.

We will allow most discussion, as long a there's a linked source. No source - probably no discussion. We don't want to perpetrate rumors someone only heard.

Cheshire Cat, thanks for the link.

• Advertisement

ArtyC wrote: »
    Disgraceful. I find that eyre square has become a horrible spot for thugs and drunks. I don't feel safe in galway anyone

Really?? During the day or at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

hopefully the guards clamp down on this quickly and effectively. tourists or not gangs like this need to be caught and prosecuted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where is Fidelma in all this? I would've thought she'd be all over this scéal

snubbleste wrote: »
    Where is Fidelma in all this? I would've thought she'd be all over this scéal

Too busy being concerned with the unborn children to worry about the grown up ones. Zinggggggg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

biko wrote: »
    fishy, you did not manage to find a source yourself and yet you opened a second thread.

Biko in fairness this has been on the news since yesterday afternoon, the GBFM link is timestamped 5.24pm yesterday: http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/1847-young-victims-of-salthill-gang-urged-to-come-forward

Then it should have been easy to add that to the first thread.

Eogclouder hadn't heard about it either so you see how easy we miss news, the onus is on the OP to provide details particularly for these type threads.

On topic, that is fecking scary. Scumbags robbing and beating kids up.
    The Sinn Féin senator said he had become aware of a “gang of thugs” in their late teens and early 20s attacking other youths in beachside suburbs, stealing their money, mobile phones and giving their victims “a fair beating”.

“A parent contacted me whose son had his front teeth broken. The dentist said she’d seen numerous cases like this. The GP said the same thing. These young people are very afraid to report this to the Gardaí because of a fear of reprisal,” the politician told the meeting.

I know parents that let their kids go down to salthill unsupervised, it's probably kids like these the scummers go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Galway is small, a few Gardai on view would put a halt to this

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I dunno, this jars with my personal experience. I've been pleasantly surprised at how good natured and safe Salthill has felt in the past week given the crowds. I haven't seen one bit of aggro or scobish behaviour and I've been around the prom quite a bit. Littering is the only thing I would complain about and even that has been annoying but not devastating, considering the numbers and the need to drink outdoors in public that we have.

That said, I don't dispute the story above at all, what I would dispute is the new bit in newsworthy. Kids have always been vulnerable to scobes in the summer in Salthill and elsewhere. I would have been wary in Blackrock as a teen 20 odd years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Gambas wrote: »
    That said, I don't dispute the story above at all, what I would dispute is the new bit in newsworthy. Kids have always been vulnerable to scobes in the summer in Salthill and elsewhere. I would have been wary in Blackrock as a teen 20 odd years ago.

It does read as a politician looking for headlines, as the senator brought it up after garda statistics were released, whereas local councillors had been bringing this to the attention of the gardai in the ground.

However it is something that should be brought to the public's attention to make sure that it is not allowed to continue as this kind of thuggery should not be tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

mitosis wrote: »

small?it is in its hole small.
    salthill is small.

awful story hope the cnuts are caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

mitosis wrote: »

maybe they should open a station in salthill. Somewhere just off the prom would be a good place and who knows maybe some cctv....oh wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

If you're looking for a silver lining I think it's a good sign that people are so shocked by a few scumbags going around robbing people. Some of us come from places where that doesn't even make the local paper.

I think there is some sensationalising going on too. There is a very big difference between somebody getting "a fair beating" (words of the Senator raising the issue) and "horrific injuries" (words of... the newspaper).

It seems one or more kids got such a beating they had to visit a dentist I'd say that's petty bad alright, not sure if it qualifies as "horrific" but from reading about various scumbag crime beating and robbery will leave the victim afraid to go out and become less trusting towards others, for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Jayz, having read the OP I thought limbs were gettin sawn off young fellas over in Salthill

biko wrote: »
    It seems one or more kids got such a beating they had to visit a dentist I'd say that's petty bad alright, not sure if it qualifies as "horrific" but from reading about various scumbag crime beating and robbery will leave the victim afraid to go out and become less trusting towards others, for many years.
    Getting a tooth knocked out from a box isn't a horrific injury though. Says the slightly disappointed sadist somewhere inside me :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Several months ago a friends sister was walking her dog in salthill, she's about 5'3 and a tiny little thing but in her mid 20's. The dog was a small timid terrier cross.

She took the dog over to the park beside leisure world to let it off the lead and run around and while she was there a group if teens, male and female, came over and the girls jumped her, took her phone and wallet and give her a bit of a kicking.

She went to the guards and they basically did nothing, took a statement and she never heard anything back.

Luckily it was an old phone and the only thing she had in her wallet was a few bank cards and stuff like that, all stuff that's easily replaced and she had no serious injuries.

Seaneh wrote: »
    She went to the guards and they basically did nothing, took a statement and she never heard anything back
    Must have been because of her attitude, the Gardai are infallible.

/boardsie response

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

In fairness, this sh!t has been going on for months in Salthill, I've seen it myself. The guards in the following link put it down to Junior Cert celebrations. It was in its hole, it's every Saturday during the school year and almost every night in Salthill and parts of Knocknacarra:

http://www.connachttribune.ie/component/content/article/38-archive-news/8048-gardai-visit-schools-in-bid-to-stamp-out-street-trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

I reckon losing a tooth from a box at the age of 13,14,15 or 40 is pretty horrific. Do you really think its not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement