Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Victims of Salthill Gang urged to come forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Yep, you sre right. The level of scumbaggery in this town is getting worse. My sixteen year old got a chunk bitten out of his eyebrow by a twenty six year old man. We were advised by the gards not to persue it on account of the ****head family this man is from. No names, but everyone who lives in galway for a a few years knows this family

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

parttime wrote: »
    Yep, you sre right. The level of scumbaggery in this town is getting worse. My sixteen year old got a chunk bitten out of his eyebrow by a twenty six year old man. We were advised by the gards not to persue it on account of the ****head family this man is from. No names, but everyone who lives in galway for a a few years knows this family

God that is horrible. Sorry to hear your son went through that.

I have heard of other people being encouraged not to pursue convictions on the same basis though, even one of an under age girl who was sexually assaulted. The family were told it was just not worth what might be brought upon them and their other children if it went ahead. The very sad thing is it was probably true too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

biko wrote: »
    It seems one or more kids got such a beating they had to visit a dentist I'd say that's petty bad alright, not sure if it qualifies as "horrific" but from reading about various scumbag crime beating and robbery will leave the victim afraid to go out and become less trusting towards others, for many years.

My understanding is that the Senator supported his claims with reference to dentists, and GPs I think, having remarked on treating a number of cases of injury in the circumstances described.

In my view this counters, at least to some degree, allegations of sensationalism and publicity-seeking.

The Mayor's attempt to have the matter played down, in order not to send out "the wrong message" about Salthill, then became part of the story as well, not surprisingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

Beaten kids should form their own gang and bash these clowns...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    My understanding is that the Senator supported his claims with reference to dentists, and GPs I think, having remarked on treating a number of cases of injury in the circumstances described.

In my view this counters, at least to some degree, allegations of sensationalism and publicity-seeking
    No it doesn't. It just proves the incidents took place, which nobody is doubting. Safe to say you don't go to your GP with a "horrific injury".
    The Mayor's attempt to have the matter played down, in order not to send out "the wrong message" about Salthill, then became part of the story as well, not surprisingly.
    Agreed. As if Americans are even going to get wind of it anyway. "Gee guys we better cancel our trip to Eye-land I heard on CNN there are gangs in Salthill". Anyone would think we're hosting a World Cup!

• Advertisement

NoPasaran wrote: »
    No it doesn't. It just proves the incidents took place, which nobody is doubting. Safe to say you don't go to your GP with a "horrific injury".

Agreed. As if Americans are even going to get wind of it anyway. "Gee guys we better cancel our trip to Eye-land I heard on CNN there are gangs in Salthill". Anyone would think we're hosting a World Cup!

Most people google somewhere before the go on holidays. What's online in local papers and whats discussed in threads like this are quite likely going to add to peoples impression of the city.

That said, most Americans would probably find Galway "gang" violence pretty tame. After all people are shot on a near weekly basis in Dublin and it doesn't seem to be affecting tourism.

Also it's worth pointing out for anyone who does come across this that nearly everyone in Galway walks the prom in Salthil alone and at all times of the day and I've never met anyone who's had a bad experience. It's a very safe and friendly atmosphere.

Not meaning to take away from these reports by saying that,I'm horrified to hear that is happening, if that happens even once it's too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Most people google somewhere before the go on holidays. What's online in local papers and whats discussed in threads like this are quite likely going to add to peoples impression of the city.

That said, most Americans would probably find Galway "gang" violence pretty tame. After all people are shot on a near weekly basis in Dublin and it doesn't seem to be affecting tourism.

Also it's worth pointing out for anyone who does come across this that nearly everyone in Galway walks the prom in Salthil alone and at all times of the day and I've never met anyone who's had a bad experience. It's a very safe and friendly atmosphere.

Not meaning to take away from these reports by saying that,I'm horrified to hear that is happening, if that happens even once it's too much.

First of all around 1 million people live in Dublin and the vast majority of these shootings happen in the rougher parts of the city and are mainly drugs related.Random assaults affect all sorts of innocent people and that sort of behaviour shouldn't be tolerated just because there is no gangland crime in Galway.This is happening in one of the nicest parts of Galway and while it's all well and good saying i never notice this behaviour.I feel very safe etc the facts are that there are people who have been the victims of nasty assaults in the Salthill area and other parts of Galway who disagree with you.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

First of all around 1 million people live in Dublin and the vast majority of these shootings happen in the rougher parts of the city and are mainly drugs related.Random assaults affect all sorts of innocent people and that sort of behaviour shouldn't be tolerated just because there is no gangland crime in Galway.This is happening in one of the nicest parts of Galway and while it's all well and good saying i never notice this behaviour.I feel very safe etc the facts are that there are people who have been the victims of nasty assaults in the Salthill area and other parts of Galway who disagree with you.

I'm not disagreeing. I'm just saying that Salthill isn't the wild west either. Tourists who are most likely to walk the prom in the daylight and visit hotels and restaurants don't need not be afraid of coming to Galway.

As I said in my post that point didn't take away from the fact that this is happening and that it's terrible. Its a problem for every single one of us.I don't want it taking hold here at all. I LOVE Salthil.

Also just so ya know I don't think there is a scale of acceptability when it comes to crime, I wasn't inferring that random assaults are "better" than gangland attacks. I just meant tourists googling info on Dublin don't seem deterred from visiting on the basis that there are attacks there.

Now I'm wondering why I've essentially repeated my entire post for your benefit.
    :rolleyes:@myself .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I'm not disagreeing. I'm just saying that Salthill isn't the wild west either. Tourists who are most likely to walk the prom in the daylight and visit hotels and restaurants don't need not be afraid of coming to Galway.

As I said in my post that point didn't take away from the fact that this is happening and that it's terrible. Its a problem for every single one of us.I don't want it taking hold here at all. I LOVE Salthil.

Also just so ya know I don't think there is a scale of acceptability when it comes to crime, I wasn't inferring that random assaults are "better" than gangland attacks. I just meant tourists googling info on Dublin don't seem deterred from visiting on the basis that there are attacks there.

Now I'm wondering why I've essentially repeated my entire post for your benefit.
    :rolleyes:@myself .

Oh of course you don't need to be going around walking on egg shells it's just no harm to be cautious and vigilant.That is reasonable behaviour.Oh and i didn't ask you to repeat anything so less of that little blue face smiley please.:D

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

We all know that our esteemed Mayor would never, ever, ever, ever resort to publicity-seeking! :D

• Advertisement

.Oh and i didn't ask you to repeat anything so less of that little blue face smiley please.:D

Yes dad! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

So if a tourist gets attacked in Salthill would that send the "wrong message" to kids,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

any innocent person, no matter what age or gender, being mugged/jumped on/attacked/beaten up/teeth knocked out/etc is a serious violation of their civil right to roam free without fear - anyone who doesn't believe this has their threshold of tolerance for this level of thuggery set too high and if that threshold is more widely accepted then all society suffers in the long run. thin end of the ole wedge...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Eeden wrote: »
    We all know that our esteemed Mayor would never, ever, ever, ever resort to publicity-seeking! :D

That is so true. Discretion is the better part of valour, and a quiet word with the right person at the right time is often the best way to keep things in order.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/id-blow-the-legs-off-any-intruder-in-my-home-says-councillor-28958562.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

That is so true. Discretion is the better part of valour, and a quiet word with the right person at the right time is often the best way to keep things in order.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/id-blow-the-legs-off-any-intruder-in-my-home-says-councillor-28958562.html

Let's hope the councilor doesn't take up counseling

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

He said WHAT??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I visit Galway a good bit for various client meetings and friends that live close to Salthill. I have certainly noticed a good bit of what I'd call bullying, aggressive and unsocial behaviour from young (teen to early twenties) in Salthill. I haven't been targeted, they seem to target people of the same age so it just looks like handbags or a silly teen row. I lived in inner city Dublin, so I'm no stranger to the goings on of built up areas and the issues that comes with them. There's certainly some issues that need to be addressed, the shocking litter and dog ****e (probably the worst I have ever seen), public disorder, even little things like public urination, bad driving etc... that seems to be the norm.. if left ignored do tend to lend a sense of lawlessness in the community.

However, for every one gob****e in Galway, you're going to come across eight hundred of the nicest people you can meet.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    For every one gob****e in Galway, you're going to come across eight hundred of the nicest people you can meet.

There are a lot more than 94 gob****es in Galway City, so thank heavens for all you lovely visitors. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Chivalry

Here we go:
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/895-gang-of-thugs-terrorising-young-people-in-salthill

I must say Thank you to the Garda for addressing this issue.
    Its really nice when the Guards come out and give public speeches about this as it's sometimes like a warm blanket for those that have been effected by thugs in the streets.

My full Salute to the Garda!

Chivalry wrote: »
    Here we go:
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/895-gang-of-thugs-terrorising-young-people-in-salthill

I must say Thank you to the Garda for addressing this issue.
    Its really nice when the Guards come out and give public speeches about this as it's sometimes like a warm blanket for those that have been effected by thugs in the streets.

My full Salute to the Garda!

I fully agree, it would be nice to see more issues tackled like this. These things need to be taken seriously for the victim and for the wider community. Hopefully the fact that there'll be more awareness and annoyance over the issue might see the thugs doing it think twice.

If anyone knows them or suspects they know them report them please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

One of my friends told me yesterday, that last summer her 14 yr old son along with 4 of his friends were approached by a 17 yr old and a 15 yr old in Leisureland. The 17 yr old asked the youngest lad for his name & address, and did the same for the other 4. The lads were afraid not to tell the truth, as the 17 yr old is well known for causing trouble and had stabbed another boy previously.
    He then produced a knife, and took phones & sim pin numbers off all the lads, and threatened them that he would stab them if they went to the authorities. Her son was afraid to tell her, and told her a few days later that he 'lost' the phone. She only discovered the truth weeks later when she overheard her son speaking to his friend about it.

The really sad thing is that our justice system does not deal well with young offenders without any parental controls who do not co-operate with the probation services, and in cases like this both the victims and aggressor know that they will get away with it for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Three places in Salthill that I find a lot of teenagers gathering and drinking in are the green area at Devon Park, the park in Salthill and the park opposite the Salthill Hotel, it has got very bad recently with the warm weather so with a few drinks on board them its a recipe for thuggish carry on.

I passed by the park at Salthill one evening and they were roaring and shouting at people going by including myself, I was not afraid but if a few of them were to come towards me I would not like it then, best thing is to totally ignore them and keep walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

John_Rambo wrote: »
    However, for every one gob****e in Galway, you're going to come across eight hundred of the nicest people you can meet.

I think the current ratio is 1:750 actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Chivalry

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I was not afraid but if a few of them were to come towards me I would not like it then, best thing is to totally ignore them and keep walking.

Yeah, I had this before too. Funny thing is, it was very near a Guards station. A group of them were coming towards me yelling and shouting at me(about 5 in the group). I had to get back into my car and skip doing my own business in that area at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Whenever I see drunks or idiots roaring at people in Salthill I ring the station and let them know. I'd encourage everyone to do the same.

Does anyone know if the cameras mounted along the prom near the station actually work? Ever see em move?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Chivalry wrote: »
    I had to get back into my car and skip doing my own business in that area at that time.

this is just a plain daft state of affairs (not specifically at you OP)... a gang of teenage bullies passively bullying an adult out of an area, the next generation of prison inmates getting a clear run at their cell doors. and all the while we all whine and complain of Garda inaction while it's our own inaction that's contributing to the general tolerance of this kind of attitude. what are we like?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    we all whine and complain of Garda inaction while it's our own inaction that's contributing to the general tolerance of this kind of attitude. what are we like?

With respect, I disagree.

Though not in the present context, my experience over a number of years is that reporting things to AGS does not necessarily result in effective action, or indeed any action.

I would agree, though, that many people are not persistent enough in following up on incidents, whether of assault or anything else. Perhaps it should be regarded as a civic duty, given that it draws official attention to what may be a recurring social or public order problem which affects all of us to one degree or another?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

theUbiq wrote: »
    Beaten kids should form their own gang and bash these clowns...

I'm sure that's precisely what Salthill needs right now, gangs and vendettas.

People need to put pressure on their local TDs and council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

What was the name of the gangs that stalked Salthill in the 1980s wield flick knives etc? Were they the "Snakebites"? Wasn't there another gang they used to have fights with?

• Advertisement

With respect, I disagree.

Though not in the present context, my experience over a number of years is that reporting things to AGS does not necessarily result in effective action, or indeed any action.

I would agree, though, that many people are not persistent enough in following up on incidents, whether of assault or anything else. Perhaps it should be regarded as a civic duty, given that it draws official attention to what may be a recurring social or public order problem which affects all of us to one degree or another?

I agree. That said today's Advertiser mentions a women in Salthill who reported anti social behaviour and later had her car walked on in retaliation. I can understand people being frightened to get involved.

I guess we probably all need to start being a bit more aware and watch out for others as well as ourselves. Where you see something dodgy looking going on take a pic and send it to the guards. Maybe if we create an atmosphere where every bodies watching there might be less thugs who think they can do whatever they want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement