Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Victims of Salthill Gang urged to come forward

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

jkforde wrote: »
    this is just a plain daft state of affairs (not specifically at you OP)... a gang of teenage bullies passively bullying an adult out of an area, the next generation of prison inmates getting a clear run at their cell doors. and all the while we all whine and complain of Garda inaction while it's our own inaction that's contributing to the general tolerance of this kind of attitude. what are we like?

I agree with you in sentiment but in reality, confronting 5 teenagers who may be off their heads is not the wisest move, and the poster probably did the sane thing getting back into their car. It's a personality thing too, and everyone deals with stuff like this differently. Some friends of mine stood their ground in NY when a gang of teens did something really similar, now one of them is dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

@redpepper , the rattlesnakes.... !
    Hopefully this can be nipped in the bud by AGS pretty quick, was always the way back in the day in Salthill, gangs of lads you just didnt want to bump into, no fun being on the receiving end no matter how minor it might seem to others, and the sunshine sees more about than usual....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

brutes1 wrote: »
    @redpepper , the rattlesnakes.... !
    Hopefully this can be nipped in the bud by AGS pretty quick, was always the way back in the day in Salthill, gangs of lads you just didnt want to bump into, no fun being on the receiving end no matter how minor it might seem to others, and the sunshine sees more about than usual....

Yes indeed, the Rattlesnakes. Salthill was a dangerous place in the 1980s. I am sure there were a few other rival gangs from other areas of the town but the Rattlesnakes appeared especially lethal.
    I suppose Salthill was a different place back then with all the busy nightclubs and pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Guess where most of Galways Gardai are ? Out in a bog in Monivea protecting it so that our younger generation can enjoy it's beauty in future years. That's if they survive a beaten in Salthill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Chivalry

jkforde wrote: »
    and all the while we all whine and complain of Garda inaction while it's our own inaction that's contributing to the general tolerance of this kind of attitude. what are we like?

Well I never whine about the Guards, if anything I whine about the Guards not getting enough respect,pay,equipment and power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 cbd18

I'd be very careful in the area - we parked the car and went for a walk on the prom last weekend (TONS of people out as it was warm and sunny weekend day) and we came back to the car to find the window smashed in and our valuables stolen from the boot (which were not visible). We were parked on the main stretch along the prom, it's incredible no one seemed to see or hear it happen. Almost unbelievable. I won't be going back to Salthill for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

cbd18 wrote: »
    I'd be very careful in the area - we parked the car and went for a walk on the prom last weekend (TONS of people out as it was warm and sunny weekend day) and we came back to the car to find the window smashed in and our valuables stolen from the boot (which were not visible). We were parked on the main stretch along the prom, it's incredible no one seemed to see or hear it happen. Almost unbelievable. I won't be going back to Salthill for a while.

Not just happening in Salthill. My mothers car was broken into about 2weeks ago outside the entrance to Kilcolgan Swimming Pool. Smashed a window and robbed what they could. The guards were at her car when she got back and they said she was the 5th car to be robbed that day. A week later, she was walking in Renville out in Oranmore and when she got back to her car, the guards were at another car that had been broken into, so it is going on everywhere. Its an opportunistic crime and don't know how the guards are going to catch them unless they are there when it happens. All these locations are very busy public locations but it doesn't deter these scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I've heard of it happening at churches during weddings and funerals (and not just in galway).

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

That is awful, What did the Guards do?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cbd18

The Guards took a statement from us - description of everything stolen. At first they hardly believed our window was smashed with so many people around (and I still have a hard time believing no one saw or heard it ! The prom was packed and we were parked on the busiest part) Was frustrating, I only just moved to Ireland from Chicago (where my car was never broken into, go figure). It also got reported to the embassy bc I think they keep statistics on crimes against Americans abroad. Just a pity there's scum bags no matter where you go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement