Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerovation tips?

• 16-07-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭

HI,
    Out soil has come compacted. So much so that it is started to crack. In addition, beside our cobble lock there is no grass growth. This is possibly due to some weed killer put on the cobble lock. (See photos attached)

So, anyway to deal with the compacted soil friends have told me to get a n aerovator.

What is the best time of the year to get this? Is the garden unusable for a few weeks after using it?

Any other tips?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

HI,
    Out soil has come compacted. So much so that it is started to crack. In addition, beside our cobble lock there is no grass growth. This is possibly due to some weed killer put on the cobble lock. (See photos attached)

So, anyway to deal with the compacted soil friends have told me to get a n aerovator.

What is the best time of the year to get this? Is the garden unusable for a few weeks after using it?

Any other tips?

Thanks

Cracking is probably due to ground drying out. After a bit of wet weather this will go away. To help a good forking to loosen up soil will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I would leave any renovation till the autumn. Pick up this book and get to work in September/October. You'll have a nice lawn next spring and summer ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0903505487/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373972948&sr=1-1&keywords=the+lawn+expert&condition=used

1p plus delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

An important factor here is the size of your garden. For a small garden this type of aerator is cheap. It removes plugs of soil, which in my case I then filled in the holes with compost. It's important that when aerating you remove the plugs instead of just punching holes with a garden fork. (just more compaction)

I had the same bad topsoil which was full of clay and turned to stone in dry weather. I bought some clover seeds online, (couldn't find any in garden centres) and scattered them all over the lawn. Clover is a nitrogen fixer which helps the grass.

This solution is only viable if you're not a purist ;) who wants that perfect lawn seen on the box of lawn seed. I'm more than happy with my results and the lawn now stands up to 'traffic'.

Here's a photo of my back garden. Last year I only had to cut the grass twice a year, since the grass barely grew. It was patchy and light brown to yellow.

Vfy1SPf.jpg

Advertisement