Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"%$££&*** Caterpillars

• 16-07-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

My cabbages/cauliflowers and swedes are being constantly attacked by caterpillars. I go around a few times a day picking them off but with only about a dozen of each kind of plant I can't really afford any losses.

The ones on the swedes are fe***ng tiny and really difficult to spot. Too late to put up netting as I'd only be trapping the buggers in to a free meal.

Anyone any tips on how to get rid of them except picking them off, would pref ere something natural/organic as I'll be eating anything left :pac:

Would a nicotine/soapy type spray make any difference :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I rub the eggs off (or the little caterpillars if they have hatched). They take a week or so to hatch so I inspect once a week. The Large White lay a batch of yellow eggs usually on underside of leaf, hence are easy to find. The Small White lays them singly and are much harder to find but once my eye is in I find most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

There is a natural spray of a bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis-which parasitizes the caterpillars. it's completely safe and natural. I don't know if it is available in small quantities, but you could call some of the hort shops like Mr. Middleton.

www.mrmiddleton.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A lot of egg laying now. Here's a Large White egg batch.
    263911.jpg

Closeup, I think the white speck above is an egg from either Small White, Green-veined White.
    263912.jpg

Here's a closeup of a single egg. The egg is smaller than the eggs of the Large White batch but are easy to rub off.
    263913.jpg

The eggs take a week or more to hatch, so an inspection once a week takes care of them. The Large White eggs don't really rub off, they squash into goo which kind of scorches the leaf in that spot. If a Large White batch is missed then the hatched caterpillars will still be in a group together, but they'll have eaten little. Its during the next week they really get going and you have the situation the OP is in.

The green caterpillars of the Small White and Green-veined White blend into plant and are hard to see. They often rest towards heart of plant. I know I'm not going to get all these, but I don't lose sleep over it :)

Advertisement