Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Swimming

Options
  • 16-07-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

With this weather the number of people taking part in swimming in rivers is more than I can remember. With this tho comes a lot of danger. I personally witnessed in the last two weeks two head injuries with people diving into water that is too shallow. Can anybody recommend anywhere to swim where the water is deeper than 3 meters. Places other than Knockbeg, the Park, Milford and Graiguenamanagh. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The reservoir in Killeshin.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Gorebridge and Bagnalstown. Bagnalstown even has a life guard on the river beside the outdoor pool
    With this weather the number of people taking part in swimming in rivers is more than I can remember. With this tho comes a lot of danger. I personally witnessed in the last two weeks two head injuries with people diving into water that is too shallow. Can anybody recommend anywhere to swim where the water is deeper than 3 meters. Places other than Knockbeg, the Park, Milford and Graiguenamanagh. Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Clashganny, down past Borris. They have lifegaurds there too.
    Someone posted images of the new changing facilities in the link below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055480101&page=20

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Thanks guys, are these places deep enough to be diving and is there places to jump from a reasonable height?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I went down to Bagenalstown on Saturday for a swim and there were people diving in off the wall. The lifeguard was there from around lunch time.

I was in Carlow on Sunday afternoon and didn't see anyone in the water at the park.

What is Knockbeg like for swimming in? I went to school there and finished in 2003 but never went down to the river to see what is was like. I heard they cleaned up the area recently.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    I went down to Bagenalstown on Saturday for a swim and there were people diving in off the wall. The lifeguard was there from around lunch time.

I was in Carlow on Sunday afternoon and didn't see anyone in the water at the park.

What is Knockbeg like for swimming in? I went to school there and finished in 2003 but never went down to the river to see what is was like. I heard they cleaned up the area recently.

It used to be great, there was a diving board with a swing there too, but since the tree that was supporting it has uprooted and fell into the river, no there is just the weir and the canal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Killeshin reservoir would not be my idea of safe, like a lake it may have cold spots and there is no life guard and even very few people there in case of accident.

Killeshin reservoir would not be my idea of safe, like a lake it may have cold spots and there is no life guard ad even very few people there in case of accident.

It does in fact have cold spots, I would class the reservoir a lot safer than most rivers. I was out there last week and there was around 25 people there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Any of them trained life savers though?

Any of them trained life savers though?

For a matter of fact yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭fits

How do you get in to knock beg swimming spot? in main gates of school?

fits wrote: »
    How do you get in to knock beg swimming spot? in main gates of school?

Yes that was the way to get in but security will ask you to leave, through the field next to the school or else up the barrow track are the ways to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thanks, drove down to main gates today but they were closed. Must go for an explore.

Advertisement