Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep made up formula when out of the house?

Options
  • 16-07-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Was hoping I could get some insight into how mums of bottle fed babies store the formula when they are out and about.

My 7 week old was on aptimal first milk up until two weeks ago and when I would be out with him I would bring a sterilized bottle along with a small carton of formula.

He is now on aptilmal comfort and you cannot buy the small cartons. I'm not sure if I can keep a made up bottle in his bag due to the risk of bacteria.

I would really appreciate any info as I feel like I'm tied to the house as he is being fed every three-four hours and i dont like being out without his food in case of a delay.Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

cant26 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Was hoping I could get some insight into how mums of bottle fed babies store the formula when they are out and about.

My 7 week old was on aptimal first milk up until two weeks ago and when I would be out with him I would bring a sterilized bottle along with a small carton of formula.

He is now on aptilmal comfort and you cannot buy the small cartons. I'm not sure if I can keep a made up bottle in his bag due to the risk of bacteria.

I would really appreciate any info as I feel like I'm tied to the house as he is being fed every three-four hours and i dont like being out without his food in case of a delay.Thanks!

I met my friend last week for lunch and she is ff her baba. When it came to time to feed him she took out a bottle with water she'd boiled before leaving the house and the container I've linked below. It had two portions of the exact Amt of formula she'd need for a feed. Added the formula to the water and bobs your uncle. I thought it was very clever!

http://www.toys.ie/ClevaPortion-!126343-prd.aspx

I couldn't get over the price of the cartons of individual formula when she told me!

Edit: sorry I linked the wrong container. Here's the one she had

http://www.toys.ie/Philips-Avent-Milk-Powder-Dispenser-!100810-prd.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I use a flask. Before I head out I boil the kettle leave for 30 mins then pour the water into a flask and bring my little tub that holds the formula. The tubs hold 3 feeds. When out you can then make up bottle when needed. You'll just need cold water to cool it. A premade bottle is only good for 2hours once made or taken from the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I used these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Nature-Dispensers/dp/B000UUO61Y

As I used the same brand bottles they fitted into them. I used the boiled wated, cooled for 30 minutes, put the right amount of formula in, popped it into the bottle, put the lid on tight and off you go. Similar brands have similar storage pots.

Digs wrote: »
    I met my friend last week for lunch and she is ff her baba. When it came to time to feed him she took out a bottle with water she'd boiled before leaving the house and the container I've linked below. It had two portions of the exact Amt of formula she'd need for a feed. Added the formula to the water and bobs your uncle. I thought it was very clever!

I couldn't get over the price of the cartons of individual formula when she told me!

I did this once when I was using comfort food and found because the water wasnt hot enough by feeding time the formula didnt mix well. As far as I know you can do it with the regular formula but I think because comfort is thicker it needs really hot water. I suppose if you timed it right it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Digs wrote: »

Thanks I actually have that container! Haven't used it yet though. Yes the cartons are 90cent each but for the first few weeks I didn't mind as I was still finding my feet..slowly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

elly123 wrote: »
    I did this once when I was using comfort food and found because the water wasnt hot enough by feeding time the formula didnt mix well. As far as I know you can do it with the regular formula but I think because comfort is thicker it needs really hot water. I suppose if you timed it right it would work.

Ah ok sorry you're prob right. As far as I know she isn't using comfort formula it's just normal, haven't any experience with either myself but thought the container was a clever idea!

Yes i heard that the comfort formula doesn't mix well unless the water is very hot. I might get a flask. How long would the flask last for?

Yes i heard that the comfort formula doesn't mix well unless the water is very hot. I might get a flask. How long would the flask last for?

I bought a ltr size flask in tesco for just under €7 and water stays at same temp for 8hrs. I don't know why I never taught of it in the early days. Only taught of if when little one was 12 weeks. But handy for night feeds aswel.

lazygal wrote: »
    I used these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Nature-Dispensers/dp/B000UUO61Y

As I used the same brand bottles they fitted into them. I used the boiled wated, cooled for 30 minutes, put the right amount of formula in, popped it into the bottle, put the lid on tight and off you go. Similar brands have similar storage pots.

Thanks lazy gal I haven't come across those before! Do they keep the formula hot like a flask would? I'm using avent bottles at the moment but have loads of closer to nature ones that he didn't take to at the start. I'm hoping to try them again soon. Save me buying even more bottles!

I bought a ltr size flask in tesco for just under €7 and water stays at same temp for 8hrs. I don't know why I never taught of it in the early days. Only taught of if when little one was 12 weeks. But handy for night feeds aswel.

That's a great idea. I have the avent food container already so think ill try this out. Thanks a mill. I'm lucky I don't have night feeds. He has been sleeping through the night since he was three weeks but if decides to stop the flask will be handy!

• Advertisement

That's a great idea. I have the avent food container already so think ill try this out. Thanks a mill. I'm lucky I don't have night feeds. He has been sleeping through the night since he was three weeks but if decides to stop the flask will be handy!

It's very handy. Your so lucky with baby sleeping. My little fella is 16 weeks and has only started sleeping the night although his night feeds finished about 12/13 weeks he would still wake.

The flask is worth a try and it's cheap enough option aswel :-) the formula containers are great so handy.

Our little fella was on the comfort from 4-13 weeks and is back on the regular aptimal now and have had no problems since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

We did the same with a flask of water and a container with formula in it. Water stays same temp for about 8 hours so we used it for night feeds as well. Didn't think of it for the first baby, but my god it was so much easier this time around. Just leave the water in the kettle til it gets to the temp you desire, then fill the flask and seal. Small containers holding the amount of formula needed and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Thanks lazy gal I haven't come across those before! Do they keep the formula hot like a flask would? I'm using avent bottles at the moment but have loads of closer to nature ones that he didn't take to at the start. I'm hoping to try them again soon. Save me buying even more bottles!

No, I always gave formula at room temperature from the first formula feed. I'd put a fully made up bottle in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes if I was out to warm it up if you wanted to give one that was warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Can you use a cool pocket/bag to keep the bottle cool as soon as soon as you take it out of the fridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

yellow hen wrote: »
    Can you use a cool pocket/bag to keep the bottle cool as soon as soon as you take it out of the fridge?

I would agree with this.
    Bacteria multiply much quicker at warm temperatures, so putting it in a flask just keeps it warm for longer therefore more bacteria will grow. In fact this is how lots of people make yoghurt, by putting warm milk in a flask and bacteria grow and sour the milk much quicker.

This is why you are advised to make your bottles and cool them down as quick as possible in a sink of cold water and put in the fridge.

I make bottles, cool them, put in fridge, then put in cooler bag when I am going out.

I ask coffee shop or wherever to warm it up a little or bring a flask of hot water with me to warm it.

It is supposed to be given at room temperature but I unfortunately got in the habbit of warming it . Try not to do this if you can as it can be a nuisance when she won't drink it at the wrong temperature and you have nowhere to warm it.

Tesco have nice little cooler bags for about 5 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

My baby was on comfort milk too, water needs to be hot enough for powder to mix. I'd make up my bottles for the day, pop in the fridge. When heading out put bottle in one of those insulated bottle carriers and I have the Tommee Tippee travel bottle warmer to heat up.

It's very handy. Your so lucky with baby sleeping. My little fella is 16 weeks and has only started sleeping the night although his night feeds finished about 12/13 weeks he would still wake.

The flask is worth a try and it's cheap enough option aswel :-) the formula containers are great so handy.

Our little fella was on the comfort from 4-13 weeks and is back on the regular aptimal now and have had no problems since.

Yes so lucky with how he figured out night and day so quick! He doesn't sleep much at all during the day though. I am hoping he won't be on the comfort milk for long. Tbh I'm not sure if its doing anything different than the first milk. He has very painful wind so it was recommended for that. Thanks again for the flask tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

How long does bottles remain cool in cooler bag??
    The avent cooler bag i have states 2 hrs max, is there a better one?

Advertisement