Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

60's hair and makeup

• 16-07-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am going to a 60’s themed party soon and I have bought a dress that while is quite 60’s in style isn’t fantastic, so I would like to make an effort with hair and makeup. Problem is, I am brutal at both! I have shoulder length hair and am not skilled enough to do a beehive or anything like that, so what simple style could I get away with? Also with makeup, I am presuming lots of liquid eyeliner and a frosty pink lipstick is the way to go? Any advice where I could get a (cheap) suitable lipstick? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kitschy_Cat

False lashes are a must! A hairband is always an easy one to go with (thick one preferably).. backcomb the hair just beneath the upper layers on the crown to the back of your head using a comb, spray with some hair spray and brush a layer of hair over to give the appearance of volume just behind the hairband. You could use a curler/ghd to curve the ends of the hair upwards.

Youtube some 60's hair and make up videos for tips and tricks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks Kitschy Cat, I have never backcombed my hair or applied fake eyelashes, so this could be interesting! I will head to Penny's tomorrow and see if I can pick up a headband and some cheap pink lipstick. With backcombing, is it better done on slightly less than clean hair? Should I wash my hair that morning or would I be ok washing it just before styling?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Better to have unclean hair, it's easier to style. Use a paddle brush or teasing comb to backcomb the hair.

For lashes, check out Youtube for tips on how to apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kitschy_Cat

Hey,

I find it depends on the hair type! Curling etc is generally easier/holds better on unwashed hair..
    If you have normal hair, leave it un-washed. If you have slightly oily hair, I'd wash it before back-combing to give it better volume. Don't forget the hairspray :-p Have a look on youtube for tips on back-combing to get a better idea of what to do. Eyelashes can be tricky but they're well worth it for good effect! Don't forget the liquid eyeliner..
    A good tip for eyeliner too, if you mess up the line, wet a cotton bud and smooth out the line rather than erasing the whole line and starting again. I've been wearing liquid eyeliner for years (I love the 1940's pin up look) and find that it really helps when you're having one of those days hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks Kitschy Cat, I have never backcombed my hair or applied fake eyelashes, so this could be interesting! I will head to Penny's tomorrow and see if I can pick up a headband and some cheap pink lipstick. With backcombing, is it better done on slightly less than clean hair? Should I wash my hair that morning or would I be ok washing it just before styling?

Ever used a hair doughnut? One of the hairdressers in my salon had one in last week and it looked very 60's as she had it wrapped very loosely around the donut and backcombed a little..not a neat bun style, all loose and big and pouffy, which gave it that 60's look..

You could also google some pics of dusty springfield or twiggy or the likes, to see how their makeup is applied back in the day, as another poster said, black false lashes, loads of kohl and yes the frosty pink paler lips was the flavour of the day then. I think Rimmel do one, look in Boots.

• Advertisement
Advertisement