Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterminating mosquitoes worldwide

Options
  • 16-07-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Do you reckon this is possible and if so, what kind of effects would it have on the ecosystem?

I wouldn't imagine there are many creatures that depend solely on mosquitoes as their are billions of insects in the world.
    These parasites spread very dangerous diseases like malaria and dengue (which I caught a few months ago) and most of all, they're bloody annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They are hugely important in the food chain and for pollinating some species of plant. Only the females drink blood. It sounds great, but a mass extermination of mozzies would probably be a catastrophe.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I genuinely don't think there's a single living thing on the planet that wouldn't have a negative impact on their respective ecosystem if they were exterminated, ranging from the tiniest insect right up to the largest mammal. I would also apply that to plants too.

The only time a plant or animal should be exterminated imo is when they end up somewhere they're not supposed to be (more often than not as a direct result of human activity unfortunately) and are actually having a negative effect on the local ecosystem.

Mosquitoes, midges, sandflies etc are all very annoying but they all fulfil an important function to some level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I genuinely don't think there's a single living thing on the planet that wouldn't have a negative impact on their respective ecosystem if they were exterminated, ranging from the tiniest insect right up to the largest mammal. I would also apply that to plants too.

Things go extinct all the time and the world keeps on spinning.

Surely there are some things that humanity can only benefit from not existing.

... like vampires :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

kylith wrote: »
    They are hugely important in the food chain and for pollinating some species of plant. Only the females drink blood. It sounds great, but a mass extermination of mozzies would probably be a catastrophe.

ah fuuck. hate the baastards.

Advertisement