Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithwick's site plans.

Options
  • 16-07-2013 1:37pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Plans for a €3.5 million “innovation hub” redevelopment of a section of the Smithwick’s St Francis Abbey Brewery site in Kilkenny were unanimously approved at a joint meeting of Kilkenny County and Borough Councils yesterday evening.

There was a meeting, things were discussed.

Read all about it:
    Irish Times
    Ourplan.kilkenny.ie
    Kilkenny Coco - same as our plan from what I can see.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Were they not going to retain some form of craft brewing setup or even a brewery museum there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Sky King wrote: »
    Were they not going to retain some form of craft brewing setup or even a brewery museum there?

It's a big enough site, I'm sure they will. I went through the notes there and Joe Crockett said there isn't much going to happen in the short term and it could possible serve as a coach park until building gets under way. I didn't watch the video but if I do, I'll give a short summary.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Great to see this coming along this, and hats off to the local authorities for acting on it. We bit*h about them often enough, so no harm to acknowledge when they do something right.

The article mentions that Diageo are going to invest in a brewing experience or museum so that ticks that box.

With this site, Mary's Church, and hopefully the new library and arts centre on John St, Kilkenny will be getting some greak new additions in the next few years.

Now, if only we could live up to our medieval status and strip away the plaster covering up the original brickwork of many of our buildings...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Interesting fact: Lots of old castles etc in medieval times, while built with stone, were still actually finished with plaster.

So even though we see them today as bare grey stone buildings (foulkesrath castle etc) they actually looked more like this at the time of being finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Yeah, agree with that, but I'm talking about the buildings on High St and the like which are caked in plaster, completely obscuring the fact that some of them date back centuries. If you wander down the Butter Slip, the stone is expposed- why not do the same on some buildings on High St or elsewhere?

• Advertisement
Advertisement