Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this path a cycle lane or a pedestrian only area?

Options
  • 16-07-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Is the path by the river from the Bridge Street (Bridge Mills) to the Cathedral bridge (University Road) a pedestrian only path?
    I had a "bad encounter" with a cyclist there and I believe it's a pedestrian only zone, just want to be sure next time I am in the area, some cyclists tend to not move out of the way when the go through there and I want to check I am on the right or do I have to move out onto the grass..
    ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

lucianot wrote: »
    Is the path by the river from the Bridge Street (Bridge Mills) to the Cathedral bridge (University Road) a pedestrian only path?

If there aren't any clear signs up then presumably no, it wouldn't be pedestrian only.

Edit - a quick glance at google streetview (images 4 years old), shows no pedestrian only signs and there's no infformation on the city council map viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

I don't recall any signs anywhere, but is a common thing cyclists passing by on this road but never had an issue before.

I don't recall any signs anywhere, but is a common thing cyclists passing by on this road but never had an issue before.

If there was no danger of injury (i.e. having to move so quickly you'd fall into the canal) I wouldn't pay it any mind, I've probably had such run ins myself and forgotten about them.

I'm not sure what could be done though in the other case. Perhaps a query to the cycling in the city thread might be better?

I usually don't mind, people play safe most of the times, they slow down, etc, but this time it was not so pleasant and I got a nasty sarcastic comment from this guy, that's all.
    I just want to be sure I was not wrong thinking it is a footpath and not a cycle lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

See, that path to me, should be shared use, but it's not marked at all and it's entirely possible that bicycles aren't meant to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, if it's not a public road (and I think it's not) and there are no signs, then my guess is that probably there are no laws about whether cycles are allowed to be there.

Not a public road? What will make it private? It is of public use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I cycle down it regularly but I get onto the grass if I'm near pedestrians. Sorry you met an asshole on a bicycle but that doesn't make all cyclists assholes.

I'm more worried about getting a fish hook onto the head going down there...

'c

I cycle to work :) I just think I met an idiot, not a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

As a pedestrian I get out of the way slightly on that road if it's a cyclist, particularly if it's by a bump. As a cyclist, I cycle along there really slowly if there's someone in front. I never ask people to move, but most step aside to let me continue on the path. I'm never going fast enough to be a 'threat'.

A**holes exist from both camps, walking 4 abreast and glaring when you say excuse me, also speedy cyclists, that you feel you have to get out of the way or be hit.
    Overall I get the feel some pedestrians think that cycling is forbidden there, but in fact it doesn't seem to be, hence the attitude of some of the former. Most are grand though. It's common sense on there.

• Advertisement

"It does not seem to be". I just want to be sure it is or not :)

"It does not seem to be". I just want to be sure it is or not :)

No sign, it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Its a path in Ireland bicycles are supposed to use roads or designated cycle lanes not paths. If you were hit by a bike they would be completely in the wrong. Legally cyclist should dismount and walk the length of the path the same as with Shop Street.

That said sur tis grand what harm are they doing

Its a path in Ireland bicycles are supposed to use roads or designated cycle lanes not paths. If you were hit by a bike they would be completely in the wrong. Legally cyclist should dismount and walk the length of the path the same as with Shop Street.

That said sur tis grand what harm are they doing

It's a path but not a foot path, it's tarmacadam, so the verdict is still out.
    Normally pedestrians don't walk on a black path.
    That being said I agree. Just move if you can and don't be a d*ck, that goes for both footies and wheelies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I'm pretty sure that there were No Cycling signs when we first came to Galway. They seem to have 'disappeared'.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

inisboffin wrote: »
    That being said I agree. Just move if you can and don't be a d*ck, that goes for both footies and wheelies :)

it doesn't really matter what it's made out of. At both ends is a path with no provision for bicycles how would this be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Nobody has asked the most obvious question - why do cyclists use this "way"?
    Think about it.

Nobody has asked the most obvious question - why do cyclists use this "way"?
    Think about it.

Because it's available.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Because it's available.

Try again

it doesn't really matter what it's made out of. At both ends is a path with no provision for bicycles how would this be any different.

I don't get your point? Plenty of cycle-access paths begin and end at a footpath or road.

• Advertisement

Try again

Nothing else relevant, it's available to them so they use it, same as they get up on footpaths to go contra flow instead of crossing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

As a cyclist you'd have to cross the footpath first (and dismount) to get access to the path in question. There is no indication either the footpath discontinues here. Therefore I'd say the path is not intended for cycling. Oftentimes you'll see parents with children feeding the ducks at the Mills Bridge end. Not a good idea to be cycling here with children running about.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »

Ahh, to me the whole area looks like a riverside reserve / public park, not a roadway with a footpath.

There's space for people to picnic, seats to sit on, rubbish bins, river and birdlife to watch. No cars, or ability for cars to get in to the area.

And AFAIK there are no rules saying that bicycles may not be ridden in public parks, either off or on the pathways.

And I gotta ask - if pedestrians don't normally walk on black paths - when what do they walk on, and what's the point of black paths? Muchly confused ...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nah, that path is for bikes and pedestrians alike. At least I've not seen any signs there saying otherwise.

Nothing else relevant, it's available to them so they use it, same as they get up on footpaths to go contra flow instead of crossing the road.

One way streets.
    If you want to get from Newtownsmith/Woodquay area to Mainguard St; its a much shorter journey than going via Nun's Island or Docks (on the road.)

And AFAIK there are no rules saying that bicycles may not be ridden in public parks, either off or on the pathways.

And I gotta ask - if pedestrians don't normally walk on black paths - when what do they walk on, and what's the point of black paths? Muchly confused ...

Yeah this is the main point. There is usually a "NO CYCLING/SKATEBOARDING" or whatever sign if you can't - otherwise you can.

In terms of the black paving, all I meant is one could argue the pathway between the bridges is a different surface to the cement footpath that borders either end. People were making the point that it is all the one.

As far as I am concerned cyclists can and should use it once they are careful, and pedestrians should neither tolerate a*hole cyclists or be scowly d*cs themselves when a bike passes!:D

One way streets.
    If you want to get from Newtownsmith/Woodquay area to Mainguard St; its a much shorter journey than going via Nun's Island or Docks (on the road.)

Newtownsmith is two way and I've never seen any cyclists pay attention to a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Two bits of tarmac walk into a bar, one sees an old friend in the corner and goes to walk over to him - the other grabs his arm and shaking his head violently says:

"Don't go near him, he's a cycle-path!"

*runs*

Newtownsmith is two way and I've never seen any cyclists pay attention to a one way street.

Yes it is hence ability to access the Canal Way easily on the bike - but Bowling Green, Market Street and Abbeygate Street are One Way. If you where to cycle to your namesake's bridge - O'Brien's bridge from Woodquay have to go via Nun's Island or the Dock Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Um, hyperbole much? by the very nature of the thing, you won't see them if they're not going down the wrong way....

Advertisement