Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas Keneally

Options
  • 16-07-2013 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭

I just finished read The Daughters of Mars and thought it was a brilliant book.

Can anyone recommend some other books of his.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

If you're interested in Australian history from the colonisation onwards then 'A commonwealth of thieves' is a good read.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

cloudatlas wrote: »
    If you're interested in Australian history from the colonisation onwards then 'A commonwealth of thieves' is a good read.

I wouldn't mind a few recommendations of books on this subject. I recently read "Wanting" by Richard Flanagan, and although I didn't really enjoy the book itself too much I found myself really interested in the setting and the history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I wouldn't mind a few recommendations of books on this subject. I recently read "Wanting" by Richard Flanagan, and although I didn't really enjoy the book itself too much I found myself really interested in the setting and the history.

'Fatal Shore: The Epic of Australia's Founding' by Robert Hughes is touted as the definitive text and is certainly quite detailed. Keneally is a lot lighter. Alternatives: Watkin Tench's 1788 by Tim Flannery. Australians: Origins to Eureka by Thomas Keneally. Not sure about a text for Aboriginal history maybe Richard Broome.

Advertisement