Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle and scope which ones?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

zeissman wrote: »
    I think the cz are 1/9 twist.
    Most CZs come in 1:12. A 1:9 can be ordered, but in the Kevlar it is standard or, afaik, only comes in 1:9.

However mine would should the lighter (40-53) as well if not better than the heavier rounds.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

After reading the posts here and researching on the American sites it is looking like the 1.9 twist would be the best twist to fire the greatest range of bullet weights. Am I right in this?

Would a 1.8 twist destroy the lighter cheaper rounds if using them for short range target shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

After reading the posts here and researching on the American sites it is looking like the 1.9 twist would be the best twist to fire the greatest range of bullet weights. Am I right in this?

Would a 1.8 twist destroy the lighter cheaper rounds if using them for short range target shooting

No 1:8 twist will not destroy lighter bullets it will shoot anything from 40gr to 80gr with no problems,

I have a cz 527 kevlar with 1;9 twist thats shoots everything from 40gr to 75gr bthp bullets, but doesnt like the 75gr amax as it is a longer bullet than the 75gr bthp,

1;8 or 1;9 is the way to go it will let you shoot almost any bullet you can find in terms of weight

1;12 twist will limit you to around 60gr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

swift220 wrote: »
    No 1:8 twist will not destroy lighter bullets it will shoot anything from 40gr to 80gr with no problems,

I have a cz 527 kevlar with 1;9 twist thats shoots everything from 40gr to 75gr bthp bullets, but doesnt like the 75gr amax as it is a longer bullet than the 75gr bthp,

1;8 or 1;9 is the way to go it will let you shoot almost any bullet you can find in terms of weight

1;12 twist will limit you to around 60gr

+1 on the above. BUT I have a 1/9 twist, measured its actually 1/9.5. 75 gr BTHP don't seem to keep stable past 300, they are marginally stable at best. If I could, I would have a 1/8 just to be on the safe side.

Went looking for a .223 today. In general , Why is it that dealers selling firearms don't know the ins and outs of what they are selling. They only appear to know what they will sell them for as in price. I was in 3 different dealers today in 1 the main man was out fair enough but the other 2 could not tell me the twist rates of the rifles they were selling only the calibers and 1 of them is claiming to be the importer. Surely I am not the first to ask what the twist rate of the rifles are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I see a few problems with dealers.

First one is a lot of dealers are a long time in the business. They are "stuck" in their ways and most new lads coming into the sport have access to the web and generally know more than either the dealer or lads from 10+ years ago.

Secondly i've seen lads working in gun shops that do not know about guns, but were put there because they worked in another section of the company or because they are a friend of the dealer. One guy i know admitted he knew nothing about them, but was put in because things were busy and is still there today, and another only knows about fishing and runs the shop in the evenings while the dealer is out and about.

The third thing i guess at is the amount of firearms. I have a decent grip on firearms, and the basics. I do not know all the calibers, let alone makes, models. Not to mention the accessories, ballistics, ammo and everything else associated to them. Nobody could.

The last thing could simply be lack of interest. I've met one or two dealers in my time that seem to have lost interest in their trade, and each day is a pain. However the gun trade is worse than marriage. It's for life. To try and wrap up and leave it would go on forever, and with all the laws both old and new it's a hard trade to be in.

Just my 2 cents worth. However after saying all that there are some things that should be known. Twist rate of the popular makes, prices, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I know what you are saying. Most of my knowledge is got from a few hours skimming the web and I only want to buy 1. Imagine the knowledge I could accumulate if I was trying to sell a load of them.

I saw a lovely ruger m77 in .223 in O Hollarans in Dargan today. Anyone know what the twist rate is I am having problems accessing the ruger site.

Are all ruger .223 1 in 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

I know what you are saying. Most of my knowledge is got from a few hours skimming the web and I only want to buy 1. Imagine the knowledge I could accumulate if I was trying to sell a load of them.

I saw a lovely ruger m77 in .223 in O Hollarans in Dargan today. Anyone know what the twist rate is I am having problems accessing the ruger site.

it could be 1:12 or 1:9 as far as i know, depending on which model it is

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I had a look at the ruger website and all the m77 hawkeye rifles in 223 seem to be 1/9 twist . The m77 mk2 target rifle is also 1/9 . Im not sure what twist the older m77 model rifles are.
    Was it the heavy barrel model you were looking at ?
    The ruger website is www.ruger.com

It was I think. I saw so many that day. I got a look at the ruger site. I am on the west coast at the moment and my signal on the phone is patchy at best. All the newer models seem to be 1.9 and looking at the yank forums the older ones seem to be 1.12 did they change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

It was I think. I saw so many that day. I got a look at the ruger site. I am on the west coast at the moment and my signal on the phone is patchy at best. All the newer models seem to be 1.9 and looking at the yank forums the older ones seem to be 1.12 did they change?
    Im not sure. They did change the model m77mk 2 rifles and brought out the hawkeye model so maybe they changed then. The heavy barreled rifles are still the m77 mk 2 models but they are listed as a 1/9 twist.
    I had a ruger varmint in 220 swift and 204 and they were really accurate.
    I know 4 other guys who also have them and they all shoot great.

I got the serial number and sent it off to ruger to see if they can tell me the twist rate

Ruger got back to me it is a 1.12 twist the search continues.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Here's the update.

I did a deal on a Tikka Tac in .223 today so should get the paperwork in this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Here's the update.

I did a deal on a Tikka Tac in .223 today so should get the paperwork in this week

Excellent choice!

... and now for the glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

I have the same situation myself the barrel in my swift is shout out .
    I have a sako .22 and Heym .270 so i need a new rifle.
    What twist is on the tikka
    Is there good value buying new out there
    Is there any nearly new stuff out there
    I prefer European makes .
    Saying that I've shot 3 foxes lately with the .270 which is considered a varmint round in the USA.

FISMA wrote: »
    Excellent choice!

... and now for the glass?

Thanks

At the moment I have a Steiner military 3-12*56 on the .270 a Steiner 4-16*50 xtream preadtor for the .17 hmr if the subtution ever gets here and a Burris Six X series 2-12*50 sitting in the safe so I might do a little bit of playing around when I get the license

feartuath wrote: »
    I have the same situation myself the barrel in my swift is shout out .
    I have a sako .22 and Heym .270 so i need a new rifle.
    What twist is on the tikka
    Is there good value buying new out there
    Is there any nearly new stuff out there
    I prefer European makes .
    Saying that I've shot 3 foxes lately with the .270 which is considered a varmint round in the USA.

It's a 1-8 twist its the one in the for sale section here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Clear glass and reasonable magnification you need if you want to shoot in ''comfort'' out to 400 yards. If you want good glass let it be swarovski,zeiss,smith and bender or kahles...European optics are the best out there imo. German or Austrians be the masters. I use 6-24 power magnification and its comfortable. All down to your budget

This is the scope I am thinking of using it is on the .270 at the moment and I will probably put it on the .223 off deer season. I hit a deer at 453 yards with this and a clay at 525 yards and never felt under powered I have it just under a year now and its a keeper. sighting in crows etc. at over 1000 yards is no problem to it either. I know the review time says almost an hour but it is just under a half hour. He compares it to some of the top end American and European glass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yzx3DscRvwo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

what happened the deer did he run or did he drop on the stop.you must have a good shot.i wouldnt dare pull on any deer over 230 yards to be honest.i dont like seen anything suffer.in saying that iv only a 243.

allan450 wrote: »
    what happened the deer did he run or did he drop on the stop.you must have a good shot.i wouldnt dare pull on any deer over 230 yards to be honest.i dont like seen anything suffer.in saying that iv only a 243.

To answer your questions I'll take them one at a time.

He took 2 or 3 staggered steps then went down.

I have a fairly good shot (at least I think so anyway) but in saying that I have a huge amount of confidence in my equipment and I am a confident shooter. I use 130gr Hornady SST and It will have a retained energy of over 1100 ft-lbs at 600 yards that's not saying I want to shoot them at that distance but my rounds have the energy to do so.

He was my longest shot to date on a live target but again I have shot more deer under 50 yards then I have over 200 yards I just like to use the full range my equipment has to offer rather then shoot all my deer at between 100 and 200 yards.

Here's a picture of him I took him above the shoulder and note the blood coming out his nose.

fair play man thats some shot in my opinion.i us the sst 95 grain in my 243.i nearly went for the stiner to same model.but i went for the z6i with the bt turret.its like dialing in for dummies.ha ha

Thanks. I got it from eurooptic.com as a ex demo but it came brand new in a shrink wrapped box it cost €1600 after import and duty here. Compared to €2200 here

same one i was looking at mate.i think their was an other one aswell.best of luck with it anyway.

I picked up a 4-16*50 predator as well

Advertisement