Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a road roller on a lawn??

• 16-07-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

Had a landscaper into redo lawn after cattle made a mess of it. The job he did was not great. Missed a good few bits and garden is bumpier in places than it was before cows came in.

He says he will use a road roller to smooth it out but surely this is too much and I will have bugger all drainage left. Iassume this should only be used for pathways and gravelled areas etc. Plus a lot of areas have dips and bumps that even a heavy roller wont sort out.

Has anyone heard of someone using a road roller on a lawn??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

gramlab wrote: »
    Had a landscaper into redo lawn after cattle made a mess of it. The job he did was not great. Missed a good few bits and garden is bumpier in places than it was before cows came in.

He says he will use a road roller to smooth it out but surely this is too much and I will have bugger all drainage left. Iassume this should only be used for pathways and gravelled areas etc. Plus a lot of areas have dips and bumps that even a heavy roller wont sort out.

Has anyone heard of someone using a road roller on a lawn??
    Farmers use similar all the time, but they usually do it in the spring when the ground is firm and there is still a bit of give in the ground.
    It should work ok now but personally I'd wait until we get some rain first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Manuel

I used a road roller ("whacker") to smooth all the small bumps out of my lawn after the lawn had been down a couple of years. I made sure the ground was very firm/hard - like it is now. It did the job fine, except that, being a man, I couldn't just leave the pneumatic button alone after driving it around for a few hours .... so I got cocky then and started using the whacker, which was really stupid. Now I have a big dip in my lawn around the spectic tank system, where it sank a good 6 inches over time ....

So let him roll, but don't let him whack! (I'm sure he wouldn't).

[Edit]: My lawn was well established at the time. If yours is a new lawn I'm not so sure ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Manuel wrote: »
    I used a road roller ("whacker") to smooth all the small bumps out of my lawn after the lawn had been down a couple of years. I made sure the ground was very firm/hard - like it is now. It did the job fine, except that, being a man, I couldn't just leave the pneumatic button alone after driving it around for a few hours .... so I got cocky then and started using the whacker, which was really stupid. Now I have a big dip in my lawn around the spectic tank system, where it sank a good 6 inches over time ....

So let him roll, but don't let him whack! (I'm sure he wouldn't).

[Edit]: My lawn was well established at the time. If yours is a new lawn I'm not so sure ....

I never roll lawns after sowing ,use a vibrating roller the year after sowing if it needs it without vibration on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

I use a landscape rake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

td5man wrote: »
    I never roll lawns after sowing ,use a vibrating roller the year after sowing if it needs it without vibration on.

So that would be a...roller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I use a landscape rake.

Use one to take the big stones off then the stone burier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

td5man wrote: »
    Use one to take the big stones off then the stone burier.

To remove the stones and to level the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Cheers for the replies. Bit late getting back as lightning killed my router so no internet till now.

Will insist on being there the day he rolls it so to make sure he just rolls and doesn't vibrate.

He says he is waiting for the rain as ground is too hard but judging by replies should the ground be hard or have a bit of give before rolling. Garden is down about 3 months at this stage.

Advertisement