Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adjust laptop fan speed myself?

Options
  • 16-07-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Hi, a while ago my mams laptop gpu crapped out and we got it replaced (think it was overheating), only the cooler fan turned up high all the time and sounds like a small jet engine!
    I can replace HDs or RAM myself but is there anything special about turning down the fan speed?

It's a Dell Inspiron 1545, running Linux Mint (I have researched software fan control solution, but for this model it seems really difficult!)

If I provide pictures maybe someone can guide me or as a last resort I'll give someone a few bob to fix it, in the Celbridge area. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Check in your bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Khannie wrote: »
    Check in your bios.
    No fan control in there either!
    I'm not sure why it goes so loud, the old fan used to turn off every now and then (probably causing the original problem), but there must be some way to control it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I believe this link has the solution Ubuntu Forums link - Inspiron 1545 & Fan control on Linux

So the fan was controlled by Ms Windows, not the BIOS.
    Looks like the ACPI needs to be set to be controlled by Linux.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If it's a fan on the GPU itself, that would be controlled by the GPU drivers. I don't know what the GPU driver situation is in Linux these days. Last time I looked, for the main vendors, there was closed binary drivers that supported most functionality (like fan speed etc), the open drivers weren't as feature complete, so you may need to install a closed one.

There's possibly also a genuine heat issue after getting the GPU replaced. It might be worth booting into Windows and getting all the drivers installed so you can check temps and fan speeds before trying to manually slow them in Linux (unless you can also monitor the temps there too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

None of those forum solutions really helped, jet engine as soon as I boot up. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Are you sure the fan plug is correctly seated on the motherboard cpu fan header? There are 3 and 4 pin headers. If you connect a 3 pin plug to a four pin header you have to make sure they're on the right way. If you do connect a 3 pin plug to a four pin header the fan will always be on and there will be no fan control. Usually the cpu fan header on the motherboard is 4 pin.

Advertisement