Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with a dog in heat

• 16-07-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Our 7 month old Samoyed came into season during the past few days, she's walking around with a pair of boxers on feeling very sorry for herself indeed.

I was just wondering does anyone have any tips on what to do with her? I can't decide if I should walk her or not, I can't exactly expect her to be happy with trips to the garden for the next few weeks can I? There are a lot of dogs in our estate and I don't want to parade her around in front of them, but I'm worried about bringing her off somewhere incase we meet any intact dogs off their leads. She's used to her walks everyday and instead of being hyper without them, she just seems depressed.

She will be spayed after this cycle so at least she'll only have to go through this once but I feel so sorry for her.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Walk her late in the evening or very early morning. Keep her onlead at all times. If you drive to somewhere to walk her rather than starting out at your house it should help reduce the amount of dogs hanging around your house. Never leave her outside unsupervised.

My cousins pup has gone into heat for the first time and they have had so many dogs turn uo at the house that none of us have seen around before. Our neighbours dog spends hours outside the gate howling too. Not fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Tis a headache, we are nearly at the end of it. Over here they sell doggie pants which you can insert a sanitary pad into. We used them indoors, she wasn't delighted at first but got used to them.

Early and late walks also. Need to be super vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Thanks for the advice. She usually has the back door left open for her but we've kept it closed and only let her out to the toilet and for play sessions with us. Definitely do not want any accidents! Going to walk her somewhere tomorrow night and see how we get on, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Im the same at the moment with my female Husky...
    She is miserable being locked up inside all day the poor thing!

Advertisement