Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin astronomy stores

Options
  • 16-07-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this subject is common knowledge hereabouts and has been covered before, but I'll be heading over to Dublin in the next few weeks, and would appreciate a steer to any and all stores catering for the hobby of astronomy, mainly in view of the fact that prices in Ireland seem to be less than over here!

If anybody is shy about pointing out the good, bad or ugly, a PM will suffice.

TIA

tac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

tac foley wrote: »
    Apologies if this subject is common knowledge hereabouts and has been covered before, but I'll be heading over to Dublin in the next few weeks, and would appreciate a steer to any and all stores catering for the hobby of astronomy, mainly in view of the fact that prices in Ireland seem to be less than over here!

If anybody is shy about pointing out the good, bad or ugly, a PM will suffice.

TIA

tac

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/
    http://www.scopesandspace.ie/
    http://www.camera.ie/binoculars-scopes

That's all I know. I would shop around in that order but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Nerro - that will do me just fine - many thanks indeed.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't know which of those territories (UK,Canada & Oregon) that you actually live in but I can't imagine that anything is cheaper here than in any of those places.

How did you come to the conclusion that prices are cheaper here before you knew the names of stores selling astronomy kit in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I live most of the time in UK. Optical products that I'm already familiar with - rifle scopes in particular - are noticeable less expensive in the RoI than there are here, often by between 15 and 20%. This is due to the UK being outside the Eurozone, of course. I also figured out that Dublin might also have a greater selection of competing stores than Greystones or Newton Mount Kennedy.

Add to that hauling or shipping a large box of telescope from any part of North America will cost you far more than any savings in purchase price ever would.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flyer2oo8

Hi Tac,

As far as I know, Ktec telescopes is operated from the sellers house.
    Scopes & Space I know are the dealers to the camera center and I have been to their store a number of times. There are some very knowledgeable and friendly people there who will kindly help you in anyway they can and they have a huge selection of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

As far as I know, Ktec telescopes is operated from the sellers house

Its operated from a warehouse in North County Dublin. ;)

I couldnt hold this much stock in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flyer2oo8

Do you have a walk in store though where one can look around or is it just an online store?

flyer2oo8 wrote: »
    Do you have a walk in store though where one can look around or is it just an online store?

Just online, with despatches from the warehouse.

Much lower overheads than a retail store, which keeps prices low, and helps me incorporate such attractions as free delivery on all scopes and orders over €50 anywhere on the island.

:)

I can organise to have scopes viewed alright, but rarely have requests to do so. Customers often collect from the house, as its more accessible, and easier to find.

Most people have done their homework, or have emailed/chatted on the live chat function previously with me about their proposed purchases/requirements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Kersh wrote: »
    I couldnt hold this much stock in a house.

Oh so you're Ktec :cool:

I was wondering about your depth of knowledge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Oh so you're Ktec :cool:

You'd think Kersh sig was a giveaway!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

ZeRoY wrote: »
    You'd think Kersh sig was a giveaway!

Oh yeah of course... !?!:confused::D

I changed it for you :D:D :pac:

Advertisement