Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I stop anti-social behaviour outside my home?

Options
  • 16-07-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi

I am a local authority tenant for over 10 years and for 10 years i have been putting up with anti-social behaviour right outside my house. Some examples;

damage to my car, damage to my BFs car, my fence damaged. Balls being constantly hit of my sitting room window when I watch tv. I came home one night and they was a gang of about 15 of them literally right outside my door sitting on my wall and my front street, when we pulled in the street they wouldn't even move until we beeped the horn.

I've thought of many ways to deal with them-

I've shouted at them resulting in them trying to burn down my fence, kicked my gate to pieces, tried to hit my dog with a plank of wood through the fence. my window has been broken and im constantly having to pick up there rubbish.,

Ive called the gaurds, they came gave out to them, as soon as the gaurds went they came right back and became even louder!

Now for the last few weekends it is getting to the point were they are out all night shouting and singing. I am a very light sleeper so it literally keeps me up until they stop which has been around 5 or 6 am recently, i also work in as a student nurse in a hospital doing 13 hour shifts so this is affecting me physically and mentally.

I can't afford a rental place as its 3 times the price of the on im in. so today i've asked for a transfer and ther sending me out a form. but this could take ages.

I suppose im jus looking for anyone going through the same thing or any ideas on how to deter them, it seems confronting them jus makes it worse for me.

any help would be great sorry for the long rant 2 :-) x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

What sort of age are they? Young teen? older teen? Adult? Also do you know any of your neighbours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FiachDubh

My aunt lives in a..... not very friendly part of Limerick City.
    She has two rottweilers that are also not very friendly.
    She has no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What suggestions has the housing officer at the council made?

Have you attempted to befriend any of their families? That's usually the most effective way, though it doesn't work in larger cities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't know much about this but it might be worth doing a bit of research

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I was working as a teacher in Birmingham when these were used outside a few shops. My only complaint was that I was under 25 at the time so could still hear them. Apparently you can achieve the same effect by playing classical music on a perennial loop outside a building with none of the human rights concerns! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

you can complain to council of these people live in LA housing too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

couple of practical cheap solutions that i used. none of these are effort-free and TBH 10 years sounds like you have let the problem carry on for FAR too long. simply put, they feel like its their hangout area and are essentially claiming squatters rights.

when I initially moved in, I had the same situation. the kids were aged from 8 to 15. earlier in the day the younger kids would be on the wall outside my house. later in the evening it would be the older ones. so after shouting didn't work I used the following. NONE worked in isolation, but the combination worked fine:

sprikler in garden with reach to my wall. pipes buried, sprinker under RIGID fencing.
    constantly, EVERY SECOND NIGHT, paint the cappings of my wall (midnight or later). the paint is soft and smudges on clothing the next day.

The above reduced the large frequent congratations to more adhoc smaller groups. at this point i installed cameras and became militant about them sitting on my wall. if they wouldn't move i left my stereo on the crapest 80s sh1te and went out for a walk/cycle. they were never there when i returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Get your local TD's contact details, all of them.
    Then report every incident to the Gardai with pic's and recordings if you can. Take the Gardas number when you report it.
    After you have a catalogue of complaints made send them on to your TDs and tell them the problem is not being dealt with in a meaningful manner and get them to follow up for you. It worked a treat for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

whatnext wrote: »
    Get your local TD's contact details, all of them.
    Then report every incident to the Gardai with pic's and recordings if you can. Take the Gardas number when you report it.
    After you have a catalogue of complaints made send them on to your TDs and tell them the problem is not being dealt with in a meaningful manner and get them to follow up for you. It worked a treat for me.

Good thinking, it's best to keep an accurate log as that way you can make more specific complaints. Naturally people are free to congregate in public places but if you have pics and recordings then no one can dispute how events played out - you never know some of the kids may already be "known" to the Police. :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I hope no stupid do gooder starts spouting about human rights now.

OP, I feel for you. There seems to be an awful lot of this type stuff going on. Hang in there.

• Advertisement

I read something like this recently and somebody recommended putting down Jeyes Fluid, as the smell is supposed to be horrid, and the kids move on. Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    I read something like this recently and somebody recommended putting down Jeyes Fluid, as the smell is supposed to be horrid, and the kids move on. Worth a shot.

Unfortunately the OP would also have to put up with the smell!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Couple of chicken breasts, dig up a bit of the grass where they congregate and put the breasts under it.... the rotting chicken smell will soon have them gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

djimi wrote: »

If its arround the perimiter of the garden it might be far enough away from the house to not bother the op...

I like the paint idea and the music, reckon the music is worth a shot first

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The Mosquito sounds the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,You could get a few 'Rotting Flesh' plants for your garden or you could get rapid growing hedges.I know this worked for people with your problem as the kids could no longer sit on the wall when the hedge got too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and what about neighbours who are able to hear it? why should they be punished?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Also you could put this in your garden

IMG00078-20110909-0830___t160.jpg

It'd be a small price to pay though...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Would planting a row of thorny plants/hedge along the wall/ boundary deter people from hanging around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Anti climb paint is the answer! I also like the idea of keeping a diary with video proof. Put up a CCTV and train it outside. They don't cost much, and you'll need to get as much evidence as possible.

I'd also be getting on to the council weekly with the diary evidence. If the little darlings live on the same estate, and it's proved they're indulging in anti social behaviour, then the parents can be evicted for that.

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    It'd be a small price to pay though...

Do you know how bad Jays Fluid smells? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That is so cruel, I've been doubled over in pain from them when they are a few doors down. They are so horrible, think about all the kids and babies you are causing severe physical pain to.

However a dummy CCTV camera can be picked up for maybe €20 and will keep them away. Another thing that always works is to go out and sit with them, comment on everything they say in a motherly way, maybe record the conversations on your phone. If there's any men in the house get them to pretend to be a pedo, saying things like "you're a nice young boy" nothing that could get you into trouble but it will freak them out. Buy a pot of oil ot grease and cover the wall in it.

Do you know how bad Jays Fluid smells? :p

No! Is it absolutely septic? I read it elsewhere :D

I hope no stupid do gooder starts spouting about human rights now.

OP, I feel for you. There seems to be an awful lot of this type stuff going on. Hang in there.

You can't just hurt innocent people to get people off you wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Have you got in touch with your local Sinn Fein? In no way am I trying to promote them as a party, but they usually know a few heavies to sort the problem out.

Have you got in touch with your local Sinn Fein? In no way am I trying to promote them as a party, but they usually know a few heavies to sort the problem out.

I don't think promoting violence is an appropriate solution.

GarIT wrote: »
    That is so cruel, I've been doubled over in pain from them when they are a few doors down. They are so horrible, think about all the kids and babies you are causing severe physical pain to.

Surely you can control the level of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't think promoting violence is an appropriate solution.

Well; it is likely to be more effective than your one about her pretending to be a senile old tw*t and her boyfriend pretending to be a paedophile.

Advertisement