Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I stop anti-social behaviour outside my home?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

djimi wrote: »
    Surely you can control the level of them?

Apparently you can but how do you judge how loud it is if you cant hear it, the one linked at its max is as loud as your average outdoor concert. Even at low volume like in Supermacs in Heuston Station its fairly painful and it hurts people that have done nothing wrong.

It could be somewhat acceptable depending on how you use it, if you only turn it on for 60 seconds when its needed it could be ok, but the few I've heard are on 24-7.
    ScottStorm wrote: »
    Well; it is likely to be more effective than your one about her pretending to be a senile old tw*t and her boyfriend pretending to be a paedophile.

What I've said are all things that have worked before, while violence may work it is wrong and illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

GarIT wrote: »
    If there's any men in the house get them to pretend to be a pedo, saying things like "you're a nice young boy" nothing that could get you into trouble but it will freak them out.

What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Not much really, it's not doing anything illegal, just creeping them out so they feel uneasy about being there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

You can't just hurt innocent people to get people off you wall.

And there we go

And there we go

Please explain why you should do something like that. Why should someone like me suffer because of what other teens do. Adults don't realise how painful these things are. If you are so adamant that it is acceptable why don't you tell her to get the one that hurts everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I completely agree with this poster and don't like the party.

But I know of a long standing serious anti social issue with teenagers that was solved in days through contact with local SF person. I honestly don't know what happened but it did work and the kids have been seen walking around looking unscathed, so perhaps a polite but firm talk was sufficient.
    Have you got in touch with your local Sinn Fein? In no way am I trying to promote them as a party, but they usually know a few heavies to sort the problem out.

Not much really, it's not doing anything illegal, just creeping them out so they feel uneasy about being there.

Stoopid idea. When the scum hear pedo, they will probably gang up and kick the **** out of said "pedo "

Stoopid idea. When the scum hear pedo, they will probably gang up and kick the **** out of said "pedo "

I suppose that depends on the people and factoring in that they have been aggressive before it might not be a good idea, but still going out and sitting in the garden listening to them and commenting on what they saying things like "you shouldn't be disrespecting girls like that" etc will annoy them and they will leave to get peace. However if the OP isn't that brave I guarantee that they wont sit on a wall once you have greased it up. A dummy cctv camera would discourage them too. All you need to do Is not let them have somewhere to sit and relax, make it annoying to be outside your house without resorting to cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It could be somewhat acceptable depending on how you use it, if you only turn it on for 60 seconds when its needed it could be ok, but the few I've heard are on 24-7.

Theres the solution really. Flick the switch when you see them at your wall and turn it off when they leave. Repeat until the message sinks in.

I suppose that depends on the people and factoring in that they have been aggressive before it might not be a good idea, but still going out and sitting in the garden listening to them and commenting on what they saying things like "you shouldn't be disrespecting girls like that" etc will annoy them and they will leave to get peace. However if the OP isn't that brave I guarantee that they wont sit on a wall once you have greased it up. A dummy cctv camera would discourage them too. All you need to do Is not let them have somewhere to sit and relax, make it annoying to be outside your house without resorting to cruelty.

I don't think the scum care about how cruel they are being to the OP

If cruelty to the scum keeps them away, I would have no problem at all wit that.

• Advertisement

Theres the solution really. Flick the switch when you see them at your wall and turn it off when they leave. Repeat until the message sinks in.

The thing that puzzles me is that a device can be bought that hurts everyone yet nobody will promote it. If its ok to hurt innocent teenagers why isn't it ok to hurt adults too? Those devices are just picking on young people for no reason.

I don't think the scum care about how cruel they are being to the OP

If cruelty to the scum keeps them away, I would have no problem at all wit that.

Its not just them though, it will hurt children in the surrounding area too. The most amazing thing is when I asked about do this to keep animals out of the garden I was the cruel one, its ok to hurt kids but not animals sh*ting in your garden apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

If it's as bad as you say, there's only one solution. Get out. One way or the other get out. No point spending your whole life dealing with something like this. The effort and hassle it will take to move will be worth it.

Please explain why you should do something like that. Why should someone like me suffer because of what other teens do. Adults don't realise how painful these things are. If you are so adamant that it is acceptable why don't you tell her to get the one that hurts everyone?

My only concern here is the scum. Obviously I don't want innocent people affected.

As stated if one could turn it on only when scum are there, lower the level of it etc.

My only concern here is the scum. Obviously I don't want innocent people affected.

As stated if one could turn it on only when scum are there, lower the level of it etc.

It's still not an ideal solution. Some people will abuse it. The devices should be illegal really. If anyone was going to get one be fair and get the 8Khz one that hurts everyone's ears.

The thing that puzzles me is that a device can be bought that hurts everyone yet nobody will promote it. If its ok to hurt innocent teenagers why isn't it ok to hurt adults too? Those devices are just picking on young people for no reason.

Its not really for no reason though. The devices were brought out to combat groups from loitering in front of shops etc, and it tends to be mostly young people who loiter in this manner (it would be rare enough to see a group of 30+ year olds loitering in a group).

Also having a device that prevents adults from entering your store is not really good for business!

Its not really for no reason though. The devices were brought out to combat groups from loitering in front of shops etc, and it tends to be mostly young people who loiter in this manner (it would be rare enough to see a group of 30+ year olds loitering in a group).

Also having a device that prevents adults from entering your store is not really good for business!

This scenario is outside a house not a store, there's no point in targeting just one group of people. What you have said is its ok to hurt innocent people because they are of a similar age to the offenders but it's not ok to hurt adults. Adults don't seem to realise how painful this is. I have had to spend €40 just to get away from one and I did it just because I had to, it really wasn't possible for me to wait and get a train I had paid for so I went and got a bus instead.

What you are saying is some teenagers cause trouble, some are innocent.

Some ( but much less) adults cause trouble, some are innocent.

But lets go after just the teenagers even the innocent ones. Why cant I have one in my garden that keeps animals out? And she is in house not a shop, why does it matter if the noise hurts adults too.

Im not saying that they are right; Im simply pointing out why they are designed to target younger people.

And lets not pretend that gangs of kids loitering in certain areas is not a problem, and also lets not pretend that its not almost exclusively gangs of people younger than their mid 20s at the oldest.

I take your point; its a far from perfect solution and it will affect some that are not causing trouble. My understanding of these devices is that they are designed to be at a level where they are annoying rather than actually painful on the ears (I would suggest that if it is painful then the device is turned up far too loud), and that its intention is to move on gangs from hanging around rather than really affect those who are simply passing by.

Im not saying that they are right; Im simply pointing out why they are designed to target younger people.

And lets not pretend that gangs of kids loitering in certain areas is not a problem, and also lets not pretend that its not almost exclusively gangs of people younger than their mid 20s at the oldest.

I take your point; its a far from perfect solution and it will affect some that are not causing trouble. My understanding of these devices is that they are designed to be at a level where they are annoying rather than actually painful on the ears (I would suggest that if it is painful then the device is turned up far too loud), and that its intention is to move on gangs from hanging around rather than really affect those who are simply passing by.

I agree that some young people are a problem but take these figures into account, 1 in every for people in Ireland is under 21. How many do you see causing trouble. Where I live there are 20k people that's 5k young people and there are maybe 3, max 5 groups that cause trouble, each group could have an average of 10 people, that's 50 people of 5k, 1% and still adults group in the other 99% of teens as trouble.

You say its not a perfect solution but seem to imply its something that is ok to do. Would you agree that if I got one and set it up that it can't be heard outside my garden its ok to use on animals?

You say your understanding of these devices, Adults don't understand the pain they cause they just install it turn it up to the max and its fine because they cant hear it. My GF has actually cried from the pain of the one in Heuston station, yet this id ok because in Ireland teenagers are seen and not heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I don't know much about this but it might be worth doing a bit of research

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

That sounds cool.... I would give it a try

• Advertisement

They are designed to be at a level where they are annoying rather than actually painful on the ears (I would suggest that if it is painful then the device is turned up far too loud

I have heard three of these devices in my lifetime, Supermacs Heuston, Supermacs Galway City and a local shop. Each have been painful hundreds of meters away. If you know Dublin you will understand this, I was at the luas stop outside of Heuston station, and what it felt like is when you accidentally poke one of those ear cleaner sticks in too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I agree that some young people are a problem but take these figures into account, 1 in every for people in Ireland is under 21. How many do you see causing trouble. Where I live there are 20k people that's 5k young people and there are maybe 3, max 5 groups that cause trouble, each group could have an average of 10 people, that's 50 people of 5k, 1% and still adults group in the other 99% of teens as trouble.

You say its not a perfect solution but seem to imply its something that is ok to do. Would you agree that if I got one and set it up that it can't be heard outside my garden its ok to use on animals?

You say your understanding of these devices, Adults don't understand the pain they cause they just install it turn it up to the max and its fine because they cant hear it. My GF has actually cried from the pain of the one in Heuston station, yet this id ok because in Ireland teenagers are seen and not heard.

Your GF shouldnt be loitering around Hueston then :)

No but seriously the range on these things is tiny, so whatever your points are they are completely irrelevant.

And as for encouraging people to 'act overly interested' in youngsters i think your keyboard should be taken off you or internet service removed. Its possibly the most idiotic thing ive read on these boards in a good while. Initially i assumed it was a joke but from your post afterwards on the defence of what you said.... well...

perplexed to say the least.

Just based on some loose stats, a larger per cent drivers speed than young people cause trouble. Yet we cannot limit the speed on ever car in Ireland to 120Km/h because that would be punishing innocents for the crimes of the few, and at that how would we be punishing them, how many drivers would actually use their road cars to go racing on a track but restricting speed has actually been classed as an infringement on peoples freedom. Yet we can actually hurt young people because maybe 1% causes trouble and the young people wont be allowed speak up about what is being done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just based on some loose stats, a larger per cent drivers speed than young people cause trouble. Yet we cannot limit the speed on ever car in Ireland to 120Km/h because that would be punishing innocents for the crimes of the few, and at that how would we be punishing them, how many drivers would actually use their road cars to go racing on a track but restricting speed has actually been classed as an infringement on peoples freedom. Yet we can actually hurt young people because maybe 1% causes trouble and the young people wont be allowed speak up about what is being done to them.

What is it you are on about ?

We also brought in new laws restricting provisional drivers, which were not there in the past . Does this inhibit personal freedoms ?

As I have said, if someone is getting hurt from this then it is not being used properly; they are designed to irritate, not to cause physical pain. Did you go into Supermacs and complain? It seems very strange to me that Supermacs would have such a system anyway considering a large percentage of their target customer base would be affected by such a device...

listermint wrote: »
    Your GF shouldnt be loitering around Hueston then :)

No but seriously the range on these things is tiny, so whatever your points are they are completely irrelevant.

And as for encouraging people to 'act overly interested' in youngsters i think your keyboard should be taken off you or internet service removed. Its possibly the most idiotic thing ive read on these boards in a good while. Initially i assumed it was a joke but from your post afterwards on the defence of what you said.... well...

perplexed to say the least.

That idea I actually got off boards before and apparently it worked, it was in the thread about the guy who was killed when he went out to move teenagers away from his house. However maybe it was a stupid idea, my stupid ideas still don't take away from the cruelty from those devices. They have a massive range, 1km isn't a short range.

Putting grease on the wall is a much more civil solution that only affects the people that are actually causing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

aaakev wrote: »
    If its arround the perimiter of the garden it might be far enough away from the house to not bother the op...

I like the paint idea and the music, reckon the music is worth a shot first
    is there not a paint made especially for this bull****e, it is made in derry, it does not set, it is impossible to remove it once it is applied to walls pipes etc, it cannot be removed from clothes, perfect for you op, the trouble is you will have to do a little research, to find a name and a supplier.

As I have said, if someone is getting hurt from this then it is not being used properly; they are designed to irritate, not to cause physical pain. Did you go into Supermacs and complain? It seems very strange to me that Supermacs would have such a system anyway considering a large percentage of their target customer base would be affected by such a device...

I did, they have since turned off the one in Galway, they only use it when they absolutely need it (I've heard its often turned on at 3am when they want to close). Supermacs Heuston have said they won't remove it because it also works on pigeons and that one is on 24-7 on a on for 30 seconds off for 30 seconds system. The one in the local shop was removed after people protested outside the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

What are you on about GatIT??!?!?

All I gather from your posts is that you hang around Supermacs.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    What is it you are on about ?

We also brought in new laws restricting provisional drivers, which were not there in the past . Does this inhibit personal freedoms ?

I'm saying putting a limiter on every car in the country is apparently going too far with punishing drivers because some speed. But hurting all young people to punish a few is ok.

Advertisement