Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I stop anti-social behaviour outside my home?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

So if there are teenagers/children/27 year olds like me living next door who can all hear these awful mosquito things they can all lump it then?

If a neighbour refused to get rid of it I'd be off to the gardai / introducing it to a hammer. Seriously though, do people who can hear them have no right to peacefully enjoy their homes/backgardens?

More effective then a Mosquito is classical music/opera. The OP should open up her windows and blast out a few arias, they'll soon be gone because it's teen kryptonite. I remember reading somewhere that a shopping center with an anti-social element switched it's muzak for classical and the troublesome teens dissapeared overnight as it generates the same irritation factor in them that I suffer whenever exposed to their 'um-cha-um-cha-um-cha' blaring from car stereos and all night parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

ELISHA82 wrote: »
    Thank u all so much for your replys nd sorry for not replying sooner have been so busy

Ive had a few more sleepless ngts since, but to my surprise one parent who lives right nx door came to me nd apoligsed for all the noise at ngt aparently she hadnt known so thats good. But the problem with alot of the kids who sit otside on the wall is ther not from the estate i live in and i dont no who ther parents are.

I had to laugh but one other day i came home to find theyd put an old armchair right outside my house so they could sit on it, my bf threw it over a wall only to find it back again a few days later so this time he took it away.

Jus to update ive used the greese idea altho it has backfired somewat as they rubbed it all over my bf,s van and my newly painted wall, but i think ill keep tryin and they will eventually give up hopefully..i think i mite also get either a real camera or a dummy one to see if it deters them.

Thers a lot of debate over the musquito idea and altho i think its a good idea my estate is too small wit alot of oter kids playing about so this idea wouldnt work in this case. It really is a pity that so many ppl have to put up with this sort of thing, i hav a teenage daughter myself but she is never left to run about other peoples estates till all hours annoying ppl.

Elisha x
    Well at least you know there are normal people here, you aren't crazy to expect normal behaviour. Problem in Ireland is a lot of people are anti social, and ironicly depend on social welfare. They do not engage in normal work environment and don't have those pressures, like getting up in the morning or teaching their own kids to get up in the morning. Giving people money for nothing is the most anti social thing you can do, it instils parents and kids a horrible negative mindset. I accept there are some recent hard luck cases, we could all easily land in that situation. People should be forced to work for money... you know like all the other people who are forced to work for their wage. This would cure any number of ills in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I think there's going to be a fine line where you need to do just enough to make them move on, but not so much that they see your place as a challenge, or end up doing damage in retaliation - case in point, wiping the grease from the top of the wall all over your BF's van.

Best solution I've found in the past has been a garden sprinkler, set near the house with -just- enough range to clip the top of the wall. Nothing illegal about watering your lawn, with a nice random timer than can also be turned on from inside the house at a moments notice. Make sure that the guts of the sprinkler is buried in the ground and the water feed too. If they do come into your garden to mess with it, then you can call the cops on the grounds of criminal damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

We were in the same situation a few years back and in the end moved. If you don't recognize these yobs its because most won't be from your estate, they can't mess about near their own homes for fear someone will recognize them and the parents will be in trouble with the local authority that's all they fear they know the guards can't touch them. With us any damage done was by kids in private housing hanging wit the local authority kids, cause they know guards can't touch them and they had no housing authority to answer to, my advice listen to them out side get names even nicknames and get on to the local authority I bet they will know who they are, and push for them to do something. Chances are they have been moved on from repeatedly gathering somewhere before and there will be other complaints against them one letter to the perents from the authority should do it. Best of luck, I know what's its like lying awake at night waiting for something bad to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Wasting your time going to the guards. Their hands are tied and they can do sweet f.a. despite what you might hear.

I've had to deal with this crap for over ten years too.

One thing I discovered is they hate it if you walk outside with a videocamera/cameraphone and make it obvious that you are filming them.

They usually bugger off with their hoods pulled up after that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Wasting your time going to the guards. Their hands are tied and they can do sweet f.a. despite what you might hear.

I've had to deal with this crap for over ten years too.

One thing I discovered is they hate it if you walk outside with a videocamera/cameraphone and make it obvious that you are filming them.

They usually bugger off with their hoods pulled up after that.

Is that not askin for a few slaps though ?

And they probably try and take your phone too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

CCTV camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would tread very carefully with this sort of approach if Im honest. Given the society that we live in, videotaping kids outside your garden is likely to attract entirely the wrong sort of attention for you.

djimi wrote: »
    I would tread very carefully with this sort of approach if Im honest. Given the society that we live in, videotaping kids outside your garden is likely to attract entirely the wrong sort of attention for you.

Na, it's a public space. I can't see a security camera trained on your property that also captures the street outside it causing any problem.
    You're not filming kids, your recording anybody that enters and passed your property on a public footpath. I can't imagine what kicks that you could be accused of getting from that footage.

conorhal wrote: »
    Na, it's a public space. I can't see a security camera trained on your property that also captures the street outside it causing any problem.
    You're not filming kids, your recording anybody that enters and passed your property on a public footpath. I can't imagine what kicks that you could be accused of getting from that footage.

A security camera is a slightly different matter; Im talking about not walking out with camera in hand pointing specifically at a group of kids.

Even with CCTV you have to be a bit careful; I enquired about it some time ago when I wanted to set up something to protect my car at night and was told that unless you can set it up so that its not pointing at or into someone elses property then it might cause trouble.

• Advertisement

If someone is engaged in anti-social behaviour outside my property I will film them. The footage will be self-explanatory if they have a problem with it.

If someone is engaged in anti-social behaviour outside my property I will film them. The footage will be self-explanatory if they have a problem with it.

Tell that to your outraged neighbours who now think you are spying on their kids and recording them. Logic and being in the right will not help you when you get that sort of a reputation.

I know I sound ridiculous but if this sort of thing has to be pointed out to you then you must have been living under a rock for a long time now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Tell that to your outraged neighbours who now think you are spying on their kids and recording them. Logic and being in the right will not help you when you get that sort of a reputation.

I know I sound ridiculous but if this sort of thing has to be pointed out to you then you must have been living under a rock for a long time now.

It's fookin ridiculous all the same.

The law is always on the side of the scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Powerful lawn sprinklers & a bad tempered dog?

Actually I've been living under hell from this behaviour. The only thing that worked was standing up to these scumbags and that included the parents. You can't let them intimidate you, they are bullies, letting them know in no uncertain terms that you will not be pushed around is the ONLY thing that works because NOBODY else will help you.

I think you're gripped by paedo-paranoia.

If logic won't help the situation with such irrational individuals then I'd tell them, 'I'd be happy to go down to the police station with them right there and then and let the Guards review the footage, and since we're going there anyway, I may as well make an offical complaint once the Guards reviewed the antics of their offspring'.

Its a fairly rational thing to be paranoid about in fairness! You telling me that there arent people out there who would exploit a situation like this to its fullest? It only needs one person to kick up a stink and suddently everyone is behind them.

Its a fairly rational thing to be paranoid about in fairness! You telling me that there arent people out there who would exploit a situation like this to its fullest? It only needs one person to kick up a stink and suddently everyone is behind them.

Then everyone can turn up on my doorstep and I'll let them all review the footage on my 40" TV, I'll even provide the popcorn.
    When you have an antisocial element in a neighbourhood, it rarely only effects one house, those kids are probably a plague on the whole neignbourhood. I can assure you that 'everyone' knows well what goes on on their road, and who's responsible for it. I doubt you'd get anything but a pat on the back from your neighbours for standing up to it.

Youre not really getting it, are you? They are not going to be turning up on your doorstep, willing to review any evidence. You are just going to find yourself branded as the creepy perv who likes to videotape kids. Once that sort of name sticks you will not shake it.

There are ways of dealing with this. Recording people outside your garden is not going to solve much anyway, so it would be an absolute last resort. If you want to go down that road then put up CCTV pointed at your property; that at least has doesnt look as creepy as walking out with a recorder in your hand.

Youre not really getting it, are you? They are not going to be turning up on your doorstep, willing to review any evidence. You are just going to find yourself branded as the creepy perv who likes to videotape kids. Once that sort of name sticks you will not shake it.

There are ways of dealing with this. Recording people outside your garden is not going to solve much anyway, so it would be an absolute last resort. If you want to go down that road then put up CCTV pointed at your property; that at least has doesnt look as creepy as walking out with a recorder in your hand.

You're not getting it.
    If sombody starts shouting 'E's been filmin' me kids!' you're neighbour are only likely to say 'probably with good reason'.
    Asbo baiting kids that are a plague on a neighbourhood are going to be well known to all your neighbours and nobody is likely to side their irresponsible parents. I for one would notbe prepared to cower, paralysed behind my curtians by what sombody with no credibility whose kids are a well known anti-social element 'might say'. A peep out of them and they will see me in court.

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    You're not getting it.
    If sombody starts shouting 'E's been filmin' me kids!' you're neighbour are only likely to say 'probably with good reason'.

Its not the rational neighbours that you have to worry about. Someone accuses you of perving on kids and you see how many people they suddenly find rallying behind them. Rationality does not come into it.

I am of course talking worst case scenario, but the way I see it I dont see why anyone would take such a ridiculous risk (for relatively little reward; do you honestly think that these kids or their parents care that you have a video of them?) when there are better ways of dealing with the situation.

Anyway, Ive made my point on this. I shouldnt need to explain to anyone why, in this day and age, its a really bad idea to be seen videotaping kids, but if you think that its a good idea then more power to you I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Have you got in touch with your local Sinn Fein? In no way am I trying to promote them as a party, but they usually know a few heavies to sort the problem out.

Class

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Like "you took a video of my kids misbehaving, so you're a paeodo".

Honestly.

It's absurd. People need to be more assertive and stand up to these people. Sometimes it gets ugly and confrontational but the minute you back down you have lost and they will walk all over you forever. However in the vast majority of cases if you stand up to these people and show them you will not be intimidated they will back down.

Advertisement