Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitten in apartment - keeps trying to jump out windows

• 16-07-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

As title says, 13 wk old kitten, currently making a break for integrated balcony. Its a straight drop to a busy road. Its currently in a v explorative phase, and also wants to jump out open windows too.
    With this heat my nerves are shot, as its so warm I need windows open, so im watching her like a hawk. I clap and go 'ah ah' loudly and she will jump down from the sill. However minutes later she is up again.

This week she peed on a cushion and my duvet twice (cotton one not a down duvet). she has lots of toys, plenty of water bowls, a scratching post, food, and is not alone for too long each day. Should I try feliway? Would that calm her down? Could it stop the mad dashes to jump the balcony every time it's opened??

I know the peeing thing is not too worrying, had similar behavior with a previous cat.
    With New kitten, I picked her up mid flow when I caught her and put her into her litter.
    Ultimately duvets can be replaced, it doesn't bother me too much, its the possible suicidal tendencies that scares life out of me.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You can buy special balcony nets from Zooplus.ie and other pet supply companies that will allow you to open the doors but stop puss from escaping. I can't remember the exact price but I think they were fairly cheap and are available in various sizes. I hope that helps:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Really? Brilliant! Will get on website and check them out! Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I saw a great cat balcony setup on reddit - let me see if I can find it and link for you.

I found a link to an article about it:
    http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/photos-catio-cat-safe-reddit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Yes, those nets are fab. I have friends in London that use them on balconies to make them cat safe, add a shelf in a sunny spot, something to climb, lidded litter tray (most cats prefer to go outside even if its in a litter tray) and you will have one happy kitty.

Also, we have an 11 month old kitten here, I honestly thought she only slept and hour a day, she was nuts, day and night until about 7 or 8 months old. Only reason she's calmer (well a bit calmer) is she gets outside every day. I don't think anything calms them down except time, sorry!

Edit: I would still only let her onto balcony when you're home, just to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

My balcony is integrated so its not v big for her to explore. Thanks for the links. I think one of those screens will work well it doesn't need huge fixing and wont cause concern for the landlord.
    Cataire and flat cat are two sites that do the screens. Not too dear either. I think I had just convinced myself there would be nothing available that I could use that would not require drills and a fair bit of hassle!

Kitty is finally asleep, looper has ran herself tired!

• Advertisement
Advertisement