Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you cut your neighbours side of hedge?

• 16-07-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭

Have an adjoining hedge shared 50/50 with my neighbour. Over the last 10 years i have cut my side and the complete top twice a year. Over the last few years the hedge has grown over 8ft tall and very wide as my neighbour doesnt trim their side. It is becoming impossible to cut the top all the way across without going into my neighbours garden and who i dont really get on with. Would you bother cutting the top of their side as they wont even offer to help clear the branches from their garden, never mind a thanks, and plus i will have to dispose of it.
    My main issue is it doesnt look great half trimmed at the top.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Absolutely I would keep it at a height that suited me and not make a big deal of it. If you let it become a towering monster your hatred for your neighbour will grow like the hedge each year, better to tackle it now!!

By the way you don't have to dispose of the waste but if they make a fuss about it they may decide not to let you cut their side at all so again I'd get on with it, annoying but thats life.

If it didn't block the sun coming into my garden i'd just leave it be to be honest and trim my side and leave the top.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Even if your relationship isn't that great with the neighbour, no harm in asking if you can come round and trim the rest of the hedge. Don't make it sound like you are doing a favour or they should be doing it, just ask, would you mind if I come round and trim this side of the hedge? If they say flat out no, then you will have to put up with it, but you never know, you might find you have both forgotten whatever started the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

I have a hedge planted on my side of the party line - I cut both sides and tidy up afterwards. I also cut the neighbours curb-side grass all the time, mainly because they are lazy sods. More annoyingly my house faces the side of another house and I have to cut most of that curb-side grass as well - another lazy neighbour - I wouldn't mind if they actually said thanks now and again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Its a thankless task but take solice from the fact that you have done a lovely job to be proud of and it makes your garden look all the better. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,Is it your hedge or you neighbours hedge?

Who's boundary is it in?.Who planted it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

OP,Is it your hedge or you neighbours hedge?

Who's boundary is it in?.Who planted it?

The hedge is shared 50/50 and is equally in my garden as it is his. It was planted by the builder who built both our houses. I dont hold out much hope he will cut his side ws he won't even cut his grass.

Advertisement