Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you decide where to go?

Options
  • 16-07-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I've just been let go from a job I started not even 3 months ago, I had hoped for it to have continued a little longer so I could save more but it hasn't. I've been talking about heading away for a long time, first Holland (where I was born and lived till 98), then my brother (and cousins) went to Oz and planted a little seed to go there, A few friends are in Canada and love it and just recently it looks like there might be work for me in New Zealand.

So, how do you decide where to go if going abroad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If you answer some questions, then we might be able to help.

1. What's your background? Do you have any qualifications?
    2. How much money have you saved?
    3. In which countries do you have a place to stay while you get set up?
    4. What are your interests? Sport? Music? Outdoor stuff?
    5. How old are you?
    6. What would you like to work at?
    7. Which is more important, money or the experience?
    8. Importantly, do you want to stay in your new country for a couple of years, or for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

1. Background is in Architecture, I'm a Architectural Technologist with approx 18months experience (few months with Revit which is what I'd like to use in a job)
    2. Only about 1.5-2k at the min but I might manage to lend money from a family member if I was stuck
    3. Holland - Family/Friends, Canada - couple of friends, Oz (Perth) - family, NZ - no one. But I don't think this bothers me much or will it make a difference?
    4. I've been way to lazy the past few years and wouldn't object at all to a more active lifestyle! Cycling is about the height of what I do, odd swim and would be tempted to play basketball again
    6. as above, I'd want to work in a architects office or related industry but preferably somewhere that uses Revit Architecture (as opposed to AutoCAD)
    7. Good money would be nice but if I got a good opportunity to work in a good office I'd be happy enough getting by and being able to save a little
    8. Probably a year or two, I've always said I'll move back to Holland but it never happened yet because of different reasons. I don't want to go there yet, I'm 31 next May which means this is effectively my last year I could go to Oz (not sure about NZ?) and I'd rather go there than look back in 2 yrs and regret not going. Also, Holland isn't great at the min for my work, from what I can gather at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, if you're mulling over Aus, you may as well take the plunge. You could then maybe look at Canada or NZ after it, but maybe you might like to try a non English speaking country as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'm leaning more towards NZ at the min, just to be a little different although I suspect there's also many Irish over there like in Oz.

As for non-English speaking countries, I'll concider Holland but not just yet. Maybe Germany also but I think I need to get a year in Oz/Nz/Ca/other done before doing so

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

jozi wrote: »
    As for non-English speaking countries, I'll concider Holland but not just yet. Maybe Germany also but I think I need to get a year in Oz/Nz/Ca/other done before doing so

What about Switzerland, we've got a building boom going on at the moment and if you can speak Dutch then understanding Swiss dialects should not be too much of an ask...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I had thought about Switz. I speak Italian and French and someone recommended me to suss out CH...

Advertisement