Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dit Kevin Street

Options
  • 16-07-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey just accepted dt080 in Kevin Street on Cao and was wondering has anybody any info on campus, stuff to do etc,women, just the general kind of stuff,
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

What kind of information about the women are you looking for exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pctech24

Are there any haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nerdosaurus

pctech24 wrote: »
    Are there any haha

Yes, me. Just not on your course XD.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Hey just accepted dt080 in Kevin Street on Cao and was wondering has anybody any info on campus, stuff to do etc,women, just the general kind of stuff,
    cheers
    Kevin St is a total sausage fest, hard luck pal, all the women are around the corner in Aungier St. and I'm be pretty certain networking would be 90% lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

cheers

Hey i got accepted too as a mature student. Lets be friends :p

Yeah it sucks ass bout the woman but i got offered a place on info tech managememt in nci plenty more woman but DIT is a better course defo and im 24 now and need to stop thinking wit my penis, least no distractions aye! there'll be plenty time for that on the social nights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Kevin St. is a bit rickety and old (I haven't actually been in it in a while) but there is a great atmosphere in there and its a great place to study too - less distractions compared to Auinger St.

I used to love the quiet in the labs over there, particularly when you were finishing an assignment last minute! :pac: And there is always a computer available somewhere!

There are some women in Kevin St. but its probably like 4 blokes to every woman.

Good news is that you are literally across the road from Auinger St. which is full of women ha ;)

Most people in Kevin St. pop over to hang out and play pool in the SU during their breaks, and you can use the library and labs there too if you want! :)

I studied computer science briefly in Kevin Street before changing courses, made some great friends in my time there, and am very fond of the place.

dorkacle wrote: »
    Kevin St. is a bit rickety and old (I haven't actually been in it in a while) but there is a great atmosphere in there and its a great place to study too - less distractions compared to Auinger St.

I used to love the quiet in the labs over there, particularly when you were finishing an assignment last minute! :pac: And there is always a computer available somewhere!

There are some women in Kevin St. but its probably like 4 blokes to every woman.

Good news is that you are literally across the road from Auinger St. which is full of women ha ;)

Most people in Kevin St. pop over to hang out and play pool in the SU during their breaks, and you can use the library and labs there too if you want! :)

I studied computer science briefly in Kevin Street before changing courses, made some great friends in my time there, and am very fond of the place.

Is there any sneaky free parking spots within a 5min walk radious up near kevin st i was crusing this evening an seen a few undesirable back neighboorhood roads is anywere free near the college ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Is there any sneaky free parking spots within a 5min walk radious up near kevin st i was crusing this evening an seen a few undesirable back neighboorhood roads is anywere free near the college ?

Not sure about that, you'd find places but if you have a decent car it'll be damaged eventually...There should be a car park nearby subsidised by DIT though, there are for the north side campuses (campii??) which makes it possible to drive to Dublin (otherwise it's like €30 a day!). The great thing about them is if you want to park there overnight it's like a fiver. Someone studying there should be able to tell you which car park it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Yes there is a car park just off Stephens Green near the college of surgeons that offers discounted parking, not sure how much is costs though. It's much more difficult to get parking around the college and the college car park is for staff only.

Yeah it used to be 5 euro to park for the day, but I think its gone up to 6 euro now.

As far as I know it counts with all Park Rite car parks.

I usually park in the one on Parnell St. and then walk over because I'm coming from the North side and just find it handier.

• Advertisement

Yeah it used to be 5 euro to park for the day, but I think its gone up to 6 euro now.

As far as I know it counts with all Park Rite car parks.

I usually park in the one on Parnell St. and then walk over because I'm coming from the North side and just find it handier.

Is the car park you speak of free by any chance ?

Is the car park you speak of free by any chance ?

No its 6 euro for the day I'm afraid.

Its not too bad considering its €2.80 each way in and out of town (for me) anyway.

At least then I don't have hang around waiting for unreliable buses, I can come and go as I please and avoid the crappy weather :P

Only downside is I can't spontaneously go drinkin! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aaronpk12

Could you please tell me how it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I pretty much agree with everything said here. I'm finished a few years now, so maybe it has changed since I was there. It's generally pretty shabby and old, but I liked it. There are usually plenty of free labs to go to, and a decent canteen.

Not a whole lot in the line of women, but as mentioned, Aungier St is just across the way ;) Library is grand as well, plenty of seats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Let me tell you a story when I was in Kevin Street. I did Comp Science (DT228) and graduated in 2014, so there was a serious lack of women. So for me, Tinder was a no brainer! Here's my Tinder Story for your enjoyment.

There we were, in a lab, dossing as usual. One of the lads introduces me to Tinder. It's not long before I'm spam swiping Right over and over. Back then, it was unlimited swipes! For FREE! I got a few matches to be fair, and did reasonably well I thought. I earned myself the name, KOT (King of Tinder). 

So one evening I got a match. Good looking, black haired girl. The chat was good and the flanter was flowing (sorry cringe fest)...etc. So me and the lads were in the canteen downstairs one evening. I looked across, 4 tables down, at a black haired girl (cuz I'm a creep). I nudged one of the lads, whipped out my phone (her tinder profile open) and asked him, "dya think that's her!". I began to sweat with fear. You know, the kind you get when almost feeling embarrassed for no reason. So we passed my phone around the table with her picture open. We definitely thought it was her! Now, we know how awkward Tinder can be. There was no way in hell I was walking over to her and asking her (HEY BEEATCH, IZ DIS U ON ME TINDUR?). I sat there, avoiding eye contact, because heck, how awkward that could be! So I messaged her on Tinder, asking where she studied. I brought it up in a discreet way. She says UCD. I told the lads and was confused! Eventually as the conversation progressed, I learned that her sister DOES in fact go to Kevin Street! BAM, we found the culprit! It was her SISTER that was 4 tables down! They looked so alike!

Ok, now we have an even more awkward situation! So I told her I saw her sister and that I thought it was her! So I am having the craic with her anyway, we were both lolling. Does she think I'm a creep? How awkward would it be at the wedding, "So I first met her....actually wait not...I first set my eyes on her sister..."... CREEP.. get OFF the stage!!

So I played the 'there's no way that's your sister' card. She was like, ok...I'll prove it to you! Now at this stage, we were in our final year, so we were all in the library grouped up, trying to do some work. Now, firstly, Kevin Street canteen. You know the way above it, you have the snackery? Where it's ideal to land over the edge and creep down on people in the canteen below. Well yeah.. Keep that in mind.

So we continued to chat on Tinder, and she suggested that she ring her sister to prove that she was...well her SISTER. I was going to watch her sister answer her phone. That was the plan. CREEP! I left the library, not informing the lads of what was going on. I said to her, OK, call your sister in 5 minutes. I ran into the Snackery, hung myself over the edge overlooking the canteen. Her sister was still there. I wait, creepily with anticipation. I was nervous... I looked (creeped) on her sister. And then...

BOOM, her phone starts to ring! I flung myself back over the edge onto the bench. I got excited. I didn't know what to think. But in fact...she wasn't lying. I could trust this girl! Was she the love of my life?? 
    I ran back into the library and told the lads what had happened. They were pissing themselves laughing at my reaction, I had some sort of creepdrenalin flowing. We were told to "shush" by the library man. Guy with the glasses. What a legend he was! (Or is, if he's still there). 

I messaged her on Tinder and told her I had witnessed her sister’s phone ringing. Now I know you're waiting for a punch line, or for me to go up to her sister...or the next chapter in our Tinder journey. But from that day onwards, I saw her sister a lot. She (Tinder girl) even told me that her sister said she saw me. So she obviously showed her sister my pics. I wanted to end this awkward situation so I believe, like many Tinder conversations, it just faded out. 

I don't know what it was, but for some reason this story has stuck with me. The moral of the story is, Kevin Street is kind of a kip (let's be honest). There are some girls in the BIO courses, but then there are lads in those courses too, so the girls are already buddied up with the lads in that course. So my advice is, get Tinder, and join plenty of Clubs and Socs. Banter Soc organises trips away, great chance to get to know new people. Skiing Soc - Organizes an EPIC trip every January. Best trip of my life. Make the effort with Clubs and Socs and you will meet women!

Advertisement