Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Survey of fodder on Irish farms

Options
  • 16-07-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I am a Masters student in UCD, studying Sustainable Energy and Green Technology. For my thesis I am looking at hydroponic barley fodder. This technology could possibly aid farmers in times of fodder shortages (like this year). It also offers farmers with small farms an opportunity to expand their herd without the need to buy or rent extra land.
    I have a short online questionnaire that will help me to assess if this method of fodder production is feasible and if it would be welcomed by Irish farmers. The link for the survey is http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/facebook/1293325/829cb12213fb
    I would be very grateful if you could fill it in so that I can get a widespread opinion and response on the topic.
    Kind Regards,
    Ian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

The OP has been given the go-ahead to post this thread.

For anyone else who wishes to post anything similar, please read section 3 of the forum charter first:
    Advertising / Surveys / Market Research

[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Completed, have to say it's interesting. It's cost seems to be the downfall for me though..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Damo810 wrote: »
    Completed, have to say it's interesting. It's cost seems to be the downfall for me though..

It does look interesting.

I'm not sure if you can compare it with other feeds on a dry matter basis though... mainly because there isn't any!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dougie502

Hey,
    I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has filled out my questionnaire so far. I am getting some great feedback.
    I will compare the costs of the hydroponic fodder with grass silage, maize silage and hay and then also try and compare the nutrient values.
    The initial set up of the hydroponic system may work out too expensive but if we have repeat weather conditions to last year, then it may work out as a viable option to aid farmers through rough periods. I am looking at converting 20, 30, 40 foot containers into transportable fodder units. These units could be moved from farm to farm depending on where there is a shortage of fodder. These units could also be rented out (possibly from co-ops etc), This would limit the high capital cost involved in the system.
    I will post up some findings over the next 6 weeks for those who are interested.
    Again thank you for all of your feedback,
    Ian

Dougie502 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has filled out my questionnaire so far. I am getting some great feedback. ...
    I will compare the costs of the hydroponic fodder with grass silage, maize silage and hay and then also try and compare the nutrient values.

Hi Ian

Thanks for doing this research.. I for one think it's a really interesting area. I'd be particularly interested to see some rigorous research on the nutrient value of the feed which results from the process.. from what little I can gather the lack of time to photosynthesise in the typical 7 day cycle means that - although highly palatable - it is difficult to compare the end result directly with other feed options, especially when used as a substitute for concentrate.

Very, very interesting option nonetheless, especially for small &/or potentially organic units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭stanflt

If a farmer was looking for an output of 1200 kg dm per day how much moneys worth of equipment would he need and would labour not be a real problem

stanflt wrote: »
    If a farmer was looking for an output of 1200 kg dm per day how much moneys worth of equipment would he need and would labour not be a real problem

Published prices seem to be about $5K for systems producing 120-250kg (wet weight presumably).

Whole shed systems, not sure... can be self-built as well of course, a damn big polytunnel with 16 hours of light and climate control is what you are looking for..

DM content is about 10-12%, might be cheaper to feed Oysters or Asparagus if comparing on a DM basis.

kowtow wrote: »
    Published prices seem to be about $5K for systems producing 120-250kg (wet weight presumably).

Whole shed systems, not sure... can be self-built as well of course, a damn big polytunnel with 16 hours of light and climate control is what you are looking for..

DM content is about 10-12%, might be cheaper to feed Oysters or Asparagus if comparing on a DM basis.

So for. 1200kg/dm per day I would need an initial investment of 333333 approximate without inputs and running costs

For a little more I could buy 60 acres of ground and have the same amount of dm risk free and I could also get single farm payment on

A no brainier really

So for. 1200kg/dm per day I would need an initial investment of 333333 approximate without inputs and running costs

A bit less than that, I think... economies of scale..

Example below of a US 200 cow dairy herd using the system to produce all fodder... (15kg / head / day?) their build cost was $160K .. Labour is two hours a day.

http://www.progressivedairy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10359:two-dairymen-are-making-profits-with-sprout-fodder-systems&catid=46:feed-and-nutrition&Itemid=72

200 cows will reguire 4000 kg/ dm per day especially in the USA where they are housed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

For a little more I could buy 60 acres of ground and have the same amount of dm risk free and I could also get single farm payment on

A no brainier really

That was something I raised in the questionnaire. How does it compare to buying land and growing feed off that. Similar initial investment, not quite sure how the feed grown compares though. But at the end of the day you have a far more saleable asset in land, in which there will always be a demand for..

Advertisement