Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a house Privately.

Options
  • 16-07-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Im looking for some info please.Sadly my parents have both died in a short space of time of each other and instructions are there to sell the property.All family members have agreed that its my job to do this,that im most suitable to do this(dont know why).
    Anyway im looking for a start up guide from step one through the process as i do not want to use an estate agent.Can anyone guide me from the early things that need to be done and possible approximate costs?There is already a solicitor in place acting on behalf of my parents.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spencer86

Where abouts is the property

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spencer86

The reason i ask I Am looking for a house to buy and don't wanna to though estate agents there a pain to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

honestly your better off going through an estate agent, particularly if there are other people with an interest in the property.

if their not happy with the price got it can cause a lot of tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies,I cannot give out location at the minute.@Ted,tbh we are pretty close nit and have all agreed on what we should accept if its offered.Savings can be huge compared to estate agent but I realize it can be a long and difficult road.
    Any info to help me along much appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Place an add in newspapers & property websites.
    Viewing with purchasers at appointed times.
    Agree price.
    Exchange solicitor details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Maybe have a look at:
    http://www.sellityourself.ie/sellers.htm

I've never used them or anything, but they seem to be easy enough to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aurelia Cotta

Selling a house privately could take some time. I'm not aware of real estate dealings in Ireland but placing some ads in the paper is a good start as well as putting a sign up on the property stating it is for sale by owner. Be sure the house is cleaned deeply and fixed up. I wish you luck on the sale and I'm sorry to hear about your folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rovers2001 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies,I cannot give out location at the minute.@Ted,tbh we are pretty close nit and have all agreed on what we should accept if its offered.Savings can be huge compared to estate agent but I realize it can be a long and difficult road.
    Any info to help me along much appreciated.
    Thanks

you may save on commission but mighn't get the same price.

here is some tips.

if the place is old or grubby, give the place a lick of paint. if the carpets are worn etc, pop down to Des kelly or bargain town and repalce them with plain cheap ones. (painting costs €50 a room, carpets €150 you will make this money back and more.)

it theres net curtains, take then down
    cut the grass and tidy the garden
    Declutter the place, get rid of all excess furniture. if theres a microwave etc on the kitchen counter, get rid of it, create as mush space as possible.
    make the bed, with fresh sheets.

Stick one of those blue yokes in the toilet.

I purchased a house last year and spent agood while looking. all the houses that did the above. went for higher proces than those that didn't make an effort.

(If your selling a car you would valet it, a house should be treated the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

ted1 wrote: »
    you may save on commission but mighn't get the same price.

here is some tips.

if the place is old or grubby, give the place a lick of paint. if the carpets are worn etc, pop down to Des kelly or bargain town and repalce them with plain cheap ones. (painting costs €50 a room, carpets €150 you will make this money back and more.)

it theres net curtains, take then down
    cut the grass and tidy the garden
    Declutter the place, get rid of all excess furniture. if theres a microwave etc on the kitchen counter, get rid of it, create as mush space as possible.
    make the bed, with fresh sheets.

Stick one of those blue yokes in the toilet.

I purchased a house last year and sopent agood while looking. all the houses tha tdid the above went for higher proces thanthose that didn't make an effort.

(If your selling a car you would valet it, a house should be treated the same)

+1 to this. Also, get someone in to do a BER cert as you'll need it prior to selling, sort out probate, advertise property yourself on Daft.ie taking good photos, ensure solicitor has Deeds to draw up contracts in due course, ask for evidence of mortgage approval from bidders, find out whether they are first time buyers or reliant on selling a property first, if you have a number of bidders bidding for the property eventually go to sealed bids to maximise your sale price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

ITDept wrote: »
    Maybe have a look at:
    http://www.sellityourself.ie/sellers.htm

I've never used them or anything, but they seem to be easy enough to deal with.

A lot of overpriced houses on that website. I was looking at it recently and comparing the prices to others in the areas based on the property price register. I would say in some cases the sellers did not like the valuation given to them and went their own way with their own price. Some people still think it is 2006.

I am no lover of estate agents as most of them are crap in Ireland but a decent estate agent that is willing to show a property day or night to get it sold can be worth 1% of the selling price + advertising and BER.

I suppose it depends on the value of the house in the first place. If it is a very expensive house then it would be a substantial saving but if the EA manages to squeeze the buyer for a bit extra then that will pay their fees either way. I used two in the past that I was very happy with and one that was a disaster so I would go with a good one rather than none.

• Advertisement
Advertisement