Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could it be worms?

• 16-07-2013 10:43pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My 3yr old jrt x bitch is constantly licking her bottom, it looks like it's itchy and is driving her mad.

She was only wormed about 6wks ago, and there are no obvious signs of worms present in her poo.

Could she need worming again, or could it be something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Could be anal sacculitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

sounds more like blocked anal glands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

sounds more like blocked anal glands

This is the likeliest cause.

The itchy bottom thing, is more attributed to humans and Pinworm,which are tiny thread like nematodes that "tickle" the anus causing the itching. The most common worms in dogs are roundworm,tapeworm or hookworm...which don't cause "itching" in that area. If you've dewormed him 6 weeks ago, it's even less likely that parasites are the issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Thanks for advice, is there anything I can give her to help or is it a trip to vet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would bring her to the vet to get them checked, the vet will probably advise to adjust diet. (I was told they need good firm poops to empty the glands)
    I give some raw, chicken thighs and legs are good, I just remove skin, once a week, with some veggies and brown rice as a second meal that day, about once a week.
    Lamb ribs are nice and soft too, with a bit of raw meat, I can't do a totally raw diet, but once a week I can manage, I haven't had any problems with anal glands in my two, but the groomer has commented they're good and never need emptying (so far).

• Advertisement

Is it okay to give her raw even though she has never had raw before? This is all new to me, ive never had a dog with this problem before.

Never thought it could be this as she seems to produce normal poos and never seems to have a problem with going.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Is it okay to give her raw even though she has never had raw before? This is all new to me, ive never had a dog with this problem before.

Never thought it could be this as she seems to produce normal poos and never seems to have a problem with going.

I had the same problem , start off slow with the bones your dogs will love you for it
    I give patch (cavalier king charles) a few chicken wings over the week and every friday i give a big bone to keep him busy, he goes mad on a friday when we come in with the bag from the butchers

This might be a silly question but do they eat the bones as well?

Might try to get some chicken legs this week, can they have them from frozen or do they need to be defrosted?

Yes, they eat the bones too, I'd defrost at least partially to give a grip, or fully if the dog isn't used to them.
    Don't feed dry with raw food, I usually have a day I give raw and veggies with a little rice for second meal.
    How big is your dog?
    Size does effect the size of bone they can manage, I have a Lhasa apso that happily manages both the chicken thigh and leg (one piece, 5 for €4 in my butcher), and they lamb ribs. She does away with the chicken wings in about a minute, bigger fella just goes crunch, crunch gulp! :o

Just to add, I remove the skin off the chicken, too chewy for my small dog.

She's about 7kg but is a savage with food and is typical terrier as in she destroys stuff very easily.
    My other fella is about 27kg , a collie x, it'd be unfair to leave him out;)

• Advertisement

Should be fine, Tiffi is about 7kgs, she manages fine.
    27kgs collie x? Must be a big one, my fella is 12.5kgs, he's about springer size!

mymo wrote: »
    Should be fine, Tiffi is about 7kgs, she manages fine.
    27kgs collie x? Must be a big one, my fella is 12.5kgs, he's about springer size!

His dad was a rough collie and mum was a border collie, but he's more like the rough collie, he's big and very hairy! Although I reckon he's lost a bit of weight lately in the heat, he's not eating as much as usual.

Just a quick update, back from the vets and she had full anal glands, caught before they got infected thankfully. Hopefully that will stop the constant licking now!

On a different note, vet reckons she could have a bit of fox terrier in her, just to add to the mix! Oh and she now weighs just under 9kg, but vet said she's healthy and sleek at that weight!

Thanks for all the advice - spot on:)

Advertisement