Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a weed/grass killing that wont kill the Hedging?

• 16-07-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I planted whitethorn hedging in November but there is grass, weeds, buttercup etc growing inbetween and around the hedging.

The hedging is too close to get a strimers near and will take a month of Sundays to do by hand, is there any safe weed & grass killer that could be used that won't affect the Whitethorn?

I've heard some people use round up but I am weary as some of the leave are low on the whitethorn and dont want to be damaging the hedge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I used roundup on a newly planted hedge on a non windy day and very carefully just sprayed the leaves of the weeds and waited a week and reapplied again on some that I missed .

I was afraid of doing it but it became a thankless job having to pull up weeds by hand regularly the weeds have all gone and the hedge doesnt look like it has been damaged and it it not chocked by weeds anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Roundup on an non windy day should be fine, just lift the hedge branches as you spray the weeds if needed and don't worry to much if you get a little on the hedge bark , its unlikely to do it any harm.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement