Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Deeds of a house

Options
  • 16-07-2013 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a query.

I am about to get a mortgage, under my own name, so as to buy a house for my partner and I.

We will be using both our savings on the deposit, but as she is only on a temporary contract at work, we only get the morgage we need if she is not on the mortgage application.

I am wondering, if I want to put her name on the house deeds later on, when we get married, will this be much trouble, or cost much, or can I just put her name on the house deeds, even though she is not part of the mortgage?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a query.

I am about to get a mortgage, under my own name, so as to buy a house for my partner and I.

We will be using both our savings on the deposit, but as she is only on a temporary contract at work, we only get the morgage we need if she is not on the mortgage application.

I am wondering, if I want to put her name on the house deeds later on, when we get married, will this be much trouble, or cost much, or can I just put her name on the house deeds, even though she is not part of the mortgage?

The bank are very unlikely to allow you to add her to the deed if she is not liable for the mortgage. You are basically gifting her ownership interest in an asset you do not have clean title over. IANAL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

You will not need to add her name to the deeds. I would imagine she gains enough protection under the Family Home Act.

If it were your partner posting, I would advise her to get an agreement in writing though. She will be in effect gifting you her savings until you get married.

Advertisement