Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam in Sligo

Options
  • 17-07-2013 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Just a warning to all in Sligo. I was at Carraroe retail park yesterday when a car pulled up alongside me. A guy called me over and gave me a speil about how he had driven from Buncrana to meet a guy who didn't show and that he had no money for diesel to get home. He proferred a shabby looking driver's licence as security should I lend him some money. I smirked and said "yer grand, good luck" and walked to my car. He called me back but I ignored him. I rang the Gardai and gave them a heads up ten minutes later.
    I doubt anyone capable of getting online and registering a boards.ie account would be stupid enough to get duped but even so. They were in a fairly new, silver hatchback with English (I think) plates. First letter was "L". Driver was wearing a green T-shirt and the passenger (giving the sob story) was large, stocky and wearing a blue/white shirt. Mid to late thirties. Had a "distinct" accent, and not Donegal, if you get me. A man of no fixed abode, shall we say (don't flame me, just trying to be accurate).
    I'm sure he has a stack of licences so next time he'll have driven from Galway of Termonfeckin or somewhere.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

il gatto wrote: »
    Just a warning to all in Sligo. I was at Carraroe retail park yesterday when a car pulled up alongside me. A guy called me over and gave me a speil about how he had driven from Buncrana to meet a guy who didn't show and that he had no money for diesel to get home. He proferred a shabby looking driver's licence as security should I lend him some money. I smirked and said "yer grand, good luck" and walked to my car. He called me back but I ignored him. I rang the Gardai and gave them a heads up ten minutes later.
    I doubt anyone capable of getting online and registering a boards.ie account would be stupid enough to get duped but even so. They were in a fairly new, silver hatchback with English (I think) plates. First letter was "L". Driver was wearing a green T-shirt and the passenger (giving the sob story) was large, stocky and wearing a blue/white shirt. Mid to late thirties. Had a "distinct" accent, and not Donegal, if you get me. A man of no fixed abode, shall we say (don't flame me, just trying to be accurate).
    I'm sure he has a stack of licences so next time he'll have driven from Galway of Termonfeckin or somewhere.:D

Maybe he was genuine?

Had something similar happen to me about 20 years ago in Dublin. Guy claimed he had been robbed. Was from Canada and had no money and no way to get any. He was really good and I'm fairly sure I would have fallen for it except I was stoney broke myself. In fact, I was just a hair's breadth from going out and mugging Canadian tourists myself. No word of a lie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Would he not have been better advised if genuine, to have went to a filling station, proved who he was by whatever means, arranged for payment to have been made at a later stage, phone a friend with a credit card, perhaps even via the Gardai and taken it from there.

I'd bet my last cent that this was some geezer trying his luck. Someone will no doubt have "taken pity" eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

It's a common enough scam alright. There was a lengthy enough thread on it in the last fortnight. In the motors forum I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Maybe he was genuine?

Had something similar happen to me about 20 years ago in Dublin. Guy claimed he had been robbed. Was from Canada and had no money and no way to get any. He was really good and I'm fairly sure I would have fallen for it except I was stoney broke myself. In fact, I was just a hair's breadth from going out and mugging Canadian tourists myself. No word of a lie!

He had a newer car than me, looked better fed and had an expensive looking watch on the gearstick (wouldn't suit the story to look flash). He also had a mate with him. The chances of two men, in a nice car, well dressed and without €20, a credit, debit or bank card between them? I won't lie awake at night wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

In a similar vein, but with a better twist I think, a guy with an English accent came up to us as we picked up a hire car in Malaga Airport last month. He said he came to the airport to pick up a friend but got the day wrong. He parked outside for only 10 minutes but his vehicle was towed away by the police. Tragically, his ID, phone and wallet were in the vehicle. He wanted to know could we give him €20 to get a taxi to the pound. It was a great story and it is actually surprisingly difficult to look someone in the eye and say you're lying even when they are spinning an obvious yarn.To give him his due, there were 5 of us, so I am assuming he guessed we couldn't even offer him a lift.

There was just one slight flaw in his story, he reeked of alcohol! He took defeat rather well I thought, so if you come accross him don't be worried about upsetting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

il gatto wrote: »
    I doubt anyone capable of getting online and registering a boards.ie account would be stupid enough to get duped but even so.

If you've learned anything from Boards.ie, surely it's that there are a few light bulbs on this site that are of pretty low wattage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Deise Vu wrote: »
    In a similar vein, but with a better twist I think, a guy with an English accent came up to us as we picked up a hire car in Malaga Airport last month. He said he came to the airport to pick up a friend but got the day wrong. He parked outside for only 10 minutes but his vehicle was towed away by the police. Tragically, his ID, phone and wallet were in the vehicle. He wanted to know could we give him €20 to get a taxi to the pound. It was a great story and it is actually surprisingly difficult to look someone in the eye and say you're lying even when they are spinning an obvious yarn.To give him his due, there were 5 of us, so I am assuming he guessed we couldn't even offer him a lift.

There was just one slight flaw in his story, he reeked of alcohol! He took defeat rather well I thought, so if you come accross him don't be worried about upsetting him.

Fellow spun the same yarn to me in Birmingham a few years ago. He was carrying a car key as a prop.

If you've learned anything from Boards.ie, surely it's that there are a few light bulbs on this site that are of pretty low wattage.

True enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Years ago 2 travellers tried a similar stunt with me. I was in a garage breakdown van all plastered with stickers

They told me they were bringing Snap-On tools to the market yard for sale but needed £20 for diesel, they had ran out on the Manorhamilton rd. I was promised loads of tools if I ponied up the cash.

I explained my doubts and they then professed to be great friends and talked regularly with my boss who's name was plastered all over the van, unfortunately he was dead ten years or more at that stage.

When that failed they offered me his daughters dog as security, a stunning looking boxer pup. I headed off at this stage but regret not taking the dog off them to this day

Slidey wrote: »
    Years ago 2 travellers tried a similar stunt with me. I was in a garage breakdown van all plastered with stickers

They told me they were bringing Snap-On tools to the market yard for sale but needed £20 for diesel, they had ran out on the Manorhamilton rd. I was promised loads of tools if I ponied up the cash.

I explained my doubts and they then professed to be great friends and talked regularly with my boss who's name was plastered all over the van, unfortunately he was dead ten years or more at that stage.

When that failed they offered me his daughters dog as security, a stunning looking boxer pup. I headed off at this stage but regret not taking the dog off them to this day

Snap-on are mechanic bling. Only available through authorised dealers afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Couple of years ago I pulled into the car park at Centra Maugheraboy, and these two geezers clocked me straight away. Came straight over, asking me did I want to buy some top of the range digital stereo equipment, brand new, still in the box for a fraction of market value.

I said no and made like I was getting my phone out. They were out of there like a scalded rabbit down the burrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Yep I was approached in Bundoran a few weeks ago by a guy offering me a watch for a bit of Diesel. He needed it to get to Sligo to see his dying mother :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Seems to be happening quite a bit around the Country. Sob story about not being able to get home or what not.

Advertisement