Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions facing Reilly

Options
  • 17-07-2013 6:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I read that Dr. Reilly is to seek more information on whether to class vaping as a medicine .

Here is just a few issues he may come across ...

How will he deal with vaping tourists coming into the country ? Will customs at the airports be seizing liquid from tourists entering the country ?

Will medical card holders be able to get e-liquid free ? If so whats to stop anyone getting loads of the free stuff and selling it to their friends and family or the public .

There are tens of thousands of vapers here imagine doctors waiting rooms full of vapers queuing up for perscriptions .

Anywhere in Ireland its possible to buy smuggled tobacco so it will be possible to buy smuggled e-liquid , if they cant stop truck loads of diesel ....

Can anyone imagine countries like Holland banning e-liquid where you can smoke pot or visit a prostitute or buy cocaine on any street ?

If its a medicine how can customs take your "medicine" off you ?

If its a "medicine" they cant tax it .

If its a "medicine" they cant charge a high price for it if you can go across the border and buy it for a fraction of the price .

Imagine if Ireland choose to make it a medicine but loads of other EU countries allowed the free use , tourist numbers would dramatically decline .

Dr Reilly you have entered a mine field , anyone else think of any more ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

You mean like why are these rules being proposed on an adult recreational product in the first place ?

Vaping is Akin to Drinking Alcohol - Sure it "can" cause issues in excess, but designed to be consumed by adults, yet there is no restriction on how much I can buy or consume, just at what age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

motorrad wrote: »
    I read that Dr. Reilly is to seek more information on whether to class vaping as a medicine .

Here is just a few issues he may come across ...

How will he deal with vaping tourists coming into the country ? Will customs at the airports be seizing liquid from tourists entering the country ?
    Yes if it's a baned substance.
    Will medical card holders be able to get e-liquid free ? If so whats to stop anyone getting loads of the free stuff and selling it to their friends and family or the public .
    Possibly, limited to a 12 week program.
    There are tens of thousands of vapers here imagine doctors waiting rooms full of vapers queuing up for perscriptions .
    It will be available as an over the counter medicine like other NRT, no queuing for that
    Anywhere in Ireland its possible to buy smuggled tobacco so it will be possible to buy smuggled e-liquid , if they cant stop truck loads of diesel ....

Can anyone imagine countries like Holland banning e-liquid where you can smoke pot or visit a prostitute or buy cocaine on any street ?
    Holland already tried to do this, they were stopped by their courts.
    They wont, why would they?
    Just VAT but it will cost more to produce,
    If its a "medicine" they cant charge a high price for it if you can go across the border and buy it for a fraction of the price .
    Are you for real, thats exactly what happens all medicines in Ireland
    Imagine if Ireland choose to make it a medicine but loads of other EU countries allowed the free use , tourist numbers would dramatically decline .

If The EU decide that it's is to be a medicine then that will be all over europe no exeptions. If they decide to go down the rout of a general goods then again all member states will have to abide by that and the ones already applying medical rules will have to change. If it's left as it is now, Ireland can do as it pleases and no tourism won't be affected.

Not supporting Rielly or anything but just because a thing is wrong or stupid dosn't mean it cant be done or isn't being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 motorrad

Yes if it's a baned substance.
    They are not PROPOSING to “BAN it” What about American tourists ?

Possibly, limited to a 12 week program.
    What doctor would do this if someone says they have been addicted to nicotine for a long time e.g. Me 22 years

It will be available as an over the counter medicine like other NRT, no queuing for that
    So the same as now instead of buying off the net I buy it off a chemist

Any comment ?

Holland already tried to do this, they were stopped by their courts.
    Exactly my point .

They wont, why would they?
    So I can go to Holland and bring back a litre .

Just VAT but it will cost more to produce,
    How or why will it cost more to produce , if anything it will get cheaper , no VAT for a start

Are you for real, thats exactly what happens all medicines in Ireland
    Exactly my point , is Dr Reilly for real . If its to be perscribed then chemists have to be competetive whats to stop people buying it on holidays or nipping across the border getting a years supply .

Eh ....Holland

If The EU decide that it's is to be a medicine then that will be all over europe no exeptions. If they decide to go down the rout of a general goods then again all member states will have to abide by that and the ones already applying medical rules will have to change. If it's left as it is now, Ireland can do as it pleases and no tourism won't be affected.

Not supporting Rielly or anything but just because a thing is wrong or stupid dosn't mean it cant be done or isn't being done.

eh Holland again , smuggling , each member state will interpret it differently , porous borders ???? again customs and medicine

Another issue is would Chemists want to sell e-liquid , imagine you walking into a chemist and asking for any particular flavour in any strenght ....hello mr chemist I want 30ml of 18mg Banana flavour e-liquid and be quick about it my good man .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

They're not gonna be allowing flavours if it does go through. They seem to think flavours are a thing that only kids taste. Adults don't like the sensation of taste apparently.

And that's another thing, what will the average chemist know about taste of a liquid if they haven't tried it?
    "Yaw, I much prefer this tobacco, it's got that Dekang dirty neutral base twang to it, with an overtone of Maxx blend."

• Registered Users Posts: 15 motorrad

"They're not gonna be allowing flavours if it does go through"

How do you know that then ? You are just opposing something just for no reason ......very Irish .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

motorrad wrote: »
    How do you know that then ? You are just opposing something just for no reason ......very Irish .
    Sorry, hadn't realised they'd exempted ecigs from their flavouring rules (unless the Commision Report finds reason to retract the exemption, they've left that as a loophole - and if they get a hint that a child might like a Swedish Fish flavoured ecig, you think they wouldn't do that?).

Stop with the "so Irish/very Irish" thing, makes you seem like a xenophobic prick now we know you aren't Irish.

I'm opposing this because it's nonsense. You?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

Why would it be classed as a medecine without also clasifiying coca cola and coffee as medicine?
    Because they are healthier than the alternative?
    Then why dont they classify non-alcoholic beer as a medicine? Low-fat yoghurt?

"The Irish Medicines Board taking part in the European discussions said e-cigarettes were not regulated under medicines or medical devices legislation unless they make medicinal claims.
    Currently products that are presented for use in or to assist in smoking cessation, such as patches and gum, are regarded to be medicines and must be authorised by the IMB before being sold in Ireland."

https://tinyurl.com/lgzte95

I assume they just decided to lump them in with the likes of nicorette patches even though a lot of people use them for taste enjoyement rather than simply as an aide to quit somking. You dont see people going in and browsing a shelf full of different flavours of patches.

I would like to see enforced transparency on the contents of the flavourings but that's about all

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

Doesn't this thread already exist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

motorrad, you seem to misunderstand the situation.
    What is proposed by the EU is that all ecigs be regulated as medicinal products on the grounds that as they are used by people to quit smoking then they are a medicine by function, i.e. they serve the same function as an already existing peoduce, NRT.
    We opose this for several reasons, primiraly because medicine by function isn't a legal grownd to for clascification as medicine. Also because medicine regulation is so restrictive as to render ecigs inefective as smoking alternatives which is counterproductive if reducing smoking prevelence is their stated objective.
    Their are several other reasons, I sugest you read Clive Bates blog to get a good overview of all the options.
    http://www.clivebates.com/
    Presuming the EU fail in their atempt to regulate as medicines, I fear that they will then atempt to impose tobacco regulations, another fail if reducing smoking prevalence is what their seeking. What Rielly decides to do will be in line with EU law and if it turns out to be medicine then were stuck with that, if it goes the tobacco route then Rielly cant regulate as medicines. If what we want to see ( existing regulations applied with the addition of age restriction) wins out it will be possible for Rielly to attempt the medical route but that's at least 3 years down the line. James will have bigger concerns by then if he has any job at all. Whoever has the position of minister for health might try medicalization but the EU will have an established regulatory system and it will be hard to run counter to that.

Right now the most imminent threat is in the EU, I think rielly in announcing that he is considering medical licencing was attempting to influence the progress of the TPD not stating any intention he has to stir up another hornets nest.
    Things are already politically shaky for James, if it wasn't for Enda he would be toast by now.

First concentrate on the EU, no harm getting out TD in a row either but the MEP's are where we need to work between now and October.

Advertisement