Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

regional work vs Helpx

Options
  • 17-07-2013 6:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Ive always had it in my head that i would have no problem getting 88days work between sept and dec on a farm and have a ball of money saved at the end of it, however the more i have been looking into it the more concerned i am.

I am arriving in sydney in september, my girlfriend has been in oz on a whv since february so we are looking to do the regional work from the 15thish on.

From what i have read up on i think SA murray river region would be our best bet, but with demand for regional work being so high it seems getting into the right working hostel is the way to go and even at that there is no guarantees and it seems a car is a must. For the both of us to stay in a working hostel will cost between 4-500 dollars for a private room excluding any other expenses. 12hr days fruit picking i can probably live with but only if herself can get through it and at the end of it we have a few quid to travel.

After spending some time looking at the helpx website it doesnt seem like too bad of a deal, work 4 hrs a day for accomadation and food and plenty of time off, learning new skills etc.....

I think the helpx could work out great with the right hosts and be an enjoyable experience with the time off in the right area.
    We are coming home for xmas so would like to have as much of the 88days sorted before we get back in the new year, any advise or input much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pinny_1

minzabud wrote: »
    Ive always had it in my head that i would have no problem getting 88days work between sept and dec on a farm and have a ball of money saved at the end of it, however the more i have been looking into it the more concerned i am.

I am arriving in sydney in september, my girlfriend has been in oz on a whv since february so we are looking to do the regional work from the 15thish on.

From what i have read up on i think SA murray river region would be our best bet, but with demand for regional work being so high it seems getting into the right working hostel is the way to go and even at that there is no guarantees and it seems a car is a must. For the both of us to stay in a working hostel will cost between 4-500 dollars for a private room excluding any other expenses. 12hr days fruit picking i can probably live with but only if herself can get through it and at the end of it we have a few quid to travel.

After spending some time looking at the helpx website it doesnt seem like too bad of a deal, work 4 hrs a day for accomadation and food and plenty of time off, learning new skills etc.....

I think the helpx could work out great with the right hosts and be an enjoyable experience with the time off in the right area.
    We are coming home for xmas so would like to have as much of the 88days sorted before we get back in the new year, any advise or input much appreciated.

You should be able to get cotton irrigation work easily in the right areas around that time !

Wheat will be harvested oct/ nov. look for the real big wheat areas, go to the Graincorp wheat facility in that area and get a job ! Great pay rates and 12 hr days generally. May only last 3-6 weeks but !
    There would be tractor driving jobs going for wheat too on farms or with harvest contractors.
    Gumtree can be a help when the time comes but nothin beats getting into the local pub and talking to people. Let the bar man/ woman know your there looking for work.
    Personally i dont see why anyone should do regional work for less than $20 an hour. Seems to be the minimum really.
    Look up "Harvest work Solutions" its owned and ran by an irish guy. V good to deal with and no messing with wages etc
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Flightfinder1

A few of my mates have been able to make a small wage while woofing,

One Host let the girls work 20 hours for their accommodation and any hours they worked thereafter were paid at $15 dollars an hour, which isn't so bad

$4-500 a week for a private double room seems very expensive! I guess that works out at 200-250 each,which is not too bad. Most working hostels charge 160-180 dollars for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

yea i suppose its luck of the draw and right place right time, have a contact near Port Lincoln so hoping to get something sorted before i get over, probably unrealistic to get the 88 days done before mid december so having a couple of weeks to do in the new year woofing might be the best solution, thanks for the replies

Advertisement