Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ever happened to the Kerry Blackwater??

Options
  • 17-07-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Just a thread i taught i put out there, was talking to a mate in south kerry and he told me nobody fishes it anymore...

Didn't the state buy this river and spent a lot of money managing it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Just a thread i taught i put out there, was talking to a mate in south kerry and he told me nobody fishes it anymore...

Didn't the state buy this river and spent a lot of money managing it...

Used to be very prolific after a spate, why I fished with a bailiff years ago and he had 9 in the boot ready for sale, on second thoughts maybe that's what happened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

stylie wrote: »
    Used to be very prolific after a spate, why I fished with a bailiff years ago and he had 9 in the boot ready for sale, on second thoughts maybe that's what happened to it.

Well that wouldnt have helped... so was it a waste of money??? to buy the river and try and make it commercial..??

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I should have been more clear in my original comment I was fishing a different river when he joined me after coming back from the Kerry BW. I never had a chance to fish the Kerry BW but in the 90's a lot of Cork anglers hammered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

stylie wrote: »
    I should have been more clear in my original comment I was fishing a different river when he joined me after coming back from the Kerry BW. I never had a chance to fish the Kerry BW but in the 90's a lot of Cork anglers hammered it.

Fished it a lot for the last ten years. And Stylie, you're right about what you say. Was the Wild West on the river for a long time until it was taken into state ownership. BTW...meant to reply a long time ago on the licence thread .....you are wrong about Currane and the law. As I thought, fisheries officers would have to have physical evidence (ie dead sea trout/salmon) to make a case against an angler who claims he is only fishing for brown trout. Currane is an open water. But any water controlled by a club and designated sea trout/salmon fishing is different. So you would have to have a state licence to fish derriana/na mona etc but not Currane.
    Blackwater had a poor run last year which was as much about a very poor spawning and cold weather. A lot of eggs were damaged back in 2007. It was well minded around that time so most of the poaching was happening along the coast back towards sneem. Anything that reached the river was safe enough.
    The Sneem has outfished it for the last few years though which would suggest that something more local is doing damage.
    Had three grilse in a half hour in August 2010 and it was full of fish.

Advertisement