Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Problem 2.5 year old

Options
  • 17-07-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Some may not call this a problem and it's probably not in the grand scheme of things but here goes:

We have a 2.5 year old who goes to bed at approx. 8.15 every night. I lay her down in the cot, tell a bedtime story and leave the room. She chats away to her teddies for a few minutes and is asleep generally between 8.30 and 8.45. She then sleeps through the night without waking until she wakes at almost exactly 6.00 every morning. I'd be lying if I said part of the problem here is not me being awake at 6.00 :( but there's also the fact that she gets tired and cranky at 10.00 ish and needs to go for a nap. To me it's obvious that she's not getting enough sleep at night but she's full of the joys at 6.00 every morning and will not settle back down no matter what I try.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or if there is anything I can do to try and encourage her to sleep a bit longer?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Im no expert as lo only 14.5 months and good sleeper but is this just a recent thing. Could it be that the room is to bright. Have you windows opened. I seem to be waking early myself with the noise of the birds and cars because the window is open do been making sure to keep it closed in her room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How long is the nap for?

All kids are different with sleep. Mine is nearly 2.5 and has almost dropped her naps. She has maybe one or two a week, usually only needing them if we are particularly active, swimming or extra playground. but if I let her nap more than 30 minutes, that night's sleep will be disrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I don't really see what the problem is. My 2.5 yr old is pretty much the same. He goes to bed at 7, wakes at 6ish, we take him out of his cot around 7-7.30 (if we're very lucky he's happy to talk to his teddies until 8 at the weekend) and he has a nap from 11.30. He can sleep for 1.5-3 hours depending on how tired he is.

We got him the gro clock recently because some mornings he was screaming to get up at 6am so he knows that the sun means its get up time and the stars mean its sleepy time.

We'll phase the nap out when he turns 3 but until then he needs it to get through the day.

I don't see how dropping the nap would change the time he wakes at and 6am unfortunately seems a reasonable wake up time for a toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Our little fella is almost 19 months and has never really been a great sleeper (Suffered from reflux and seemed to get very sick every time he was teething) but lately he has been sleeping a bit better but has started waking at about 6 every morning.
    He goes down between 8 and 8:45 and wakes at about 6, he usually wakes once during the night for some water but goes back easily enough. I am pretty happy with this especially considering he was waking 4-5 times a night up until recently. We don't have black out blinds, we do a cheap job and put a light quilt over the curtain pole to darken the room when he goes to bed...lol but I think in the morning, the sun is still coming through enough, that it is probably waking him that little bit early, if it was about 6:45, I would be very happy!

If you could pick up some black out blinds on the cheap somewhere, I would say that might do the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I don't really see what the problem is. My 2.5 yr old is pretty much the same. He goes to bed at 7, wakes at 6ish, we take him out of his cot around 7-7.30 (if we're very lucky he's happy to talk to his teddies until 8 at the weekend) and he has a nap from 11.30. He can sleep for 1.5-3 hours depending on how tired he is.

We got him the gro clock recently because some mornings he was screaming to get up at 6am so he knows that the sun means its get up time and the stars mean its sleepy time.

We'll phase the nap out when he turns 3 but until then he needs it to get through the day.

I don't see how dropping the nap would change the time he wakes at and 6am unfortunately seems a reasonable wake up time for a toddler.

Seems reasonable enough, if our little fella actually slept the entire night from 8pm and woke at 6am and maybe spent 20 - 30 mins talking to his teddy, I would be very very happy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My 2 sleep from 8ish till 7.30, they talk to each other till 8.30.

I have a piece of black out lining attached over the windows.... Cost 3 euro I think.

When I take of the lining to let some air in on hot nights, they wake at 6.

18 month old naps, 34 month old only naps the odd day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Sounds normal to me. Mine has a similar sleep pattern, except she usually lasts longer in the day before needing a nap.

It's tough going sometimes because my day with her is 6am until nearly 9pm but it's only for a few more months. Once she drops the daytime nap, I'm confident she'll sleep later in the morning and go to bed earlier at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I'll second the black out blinds as well. But if it's not the case of the brightness of the room, I would try to push back the nap to later, say 15-20 min at a time. My daughter did drop the afternoon nap instead of the morning one when she went from 2 to 1 nap, and I gradually moved it from 10am to 12h30/1pm, at 2 and half (which is not so long ago) she sleeping from 7h30/8pm until 7+ and have a 2hr nap in middle of the day... Only thing is I have a one year old who has yet to sleep past half 6, no sleep in for me then! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

How is her breathing? Our little fella was a heavy breather and snored in his sleep and was the exact same, would sleep through the night but still need a 2hr nap by 11:30/12:00. Turns out he had large tonsils and adenoids and was suffering from sleep apnea and needed them out. He just getting over the op at the minute but were hoping he will be much better after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

8:45 to 6, only 9 hrs sleep, it's not enough. They normally sleep 11-12 hrs a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

If u can try to put her in cot at 6:30, see if she fall asleep by 7. Then if she wake up at 6, that wl be at least 11 hrs. She is a early bird.

Advertisement