Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Schemes for Mature Students

Options
  • 17-07-2013 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi
    I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of getting on to a graduate scheme as a mature student. I am currently half way through a 4 year evening degree in Business Management, well on track for a First if I continue as I have been doing.
    My concern is that next year when I start applying (currently considering applying for Management Consulting positions) I will be a 31 year old woman and I am not naive enough to think that wont make a difference but will it be a complete deal breaker? I really want to build a rewarding career for myself and I think the best way to do that is to develop from graduate level through a company and learn my new role thoroughly with proper mentoring and training as I have seen with the graduates in the industry I currently work in. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. I want to use the next year to learn as much as I can and to do as much research into my future profession as possible before applying next September/October.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pawblo Pugcasso

donnamc5 wrote: »
    Hi
    I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of getting on to a graduate scheme as a mature student. I am currently half way through a 4 year evening degree in Business Management, well on track for a First if I continue as I have been doing.
    My concern is that next year when I start applying (currently considering applying for Management Consulting positions) I will be a 31 year old woman and I am not naive enough to think that wont make a difference but will it be a complete deal breaker? I really want to build a rewarding career for myself and I think the best way to do that is to develop from graduate level through a company and learn my new role thoroughly with proper mentoring and training as I have seen with the graduates in the industry I currently work in. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. I want to use the next year to learn as much as I can and to do as much research into my future profession as possible before applying next September/October.

I'll be in the same position as you in a couple of years when I graduate

The way I look at it is I've got life experience and experience in the workforce, as well as the academics. If you leverage this effectively and make it clear your pay expectations are not unrealistic there shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭donnamc5

I'll be in the same position as you in a couple of years when I graduate

The way I look at it is I've got life experience and experience in the workforce, as well as the academics. If you leverage this effectively and make it clear your pay expectations are not unrealistic there shouldn't be a problem.

I hope that is the case but from the research I have done so far I haven't found that many positive experiences from mature graduate recruit hopefuls (Hopefully it is because they got placements last year and are far too busy to be on the boards replying to questions :) ).
    I was just hoping to find some people with real life experience of this situation who have succeeded. I intend to go to as many graduate recruitment fairs this September to ask questions but I'd like to hear the opinions of the candidates rather than what the recruiters are obliged to say.

Advertisement