Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcooley Estate

Options
  • 17-07-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

This has been on the market for a while now having been taken over by NAMA. The asking price is €2.1m. Would it be worthwhile for a state agency or the newly merged local authority to buy this and turn it into a public amenity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

They barely have enough money to fix the roads, can't see them paying €2m to NAMA.

What kind of public amenity could it be used for?

This has been on the market for a while now having been taken over by NAMA. The asking price is €2.1m. Would it be worthwhile for a state agency or the newly merged local authority to buy this and turn it into a public amenity?

Kilcooley is fairly local to me - about 10 mile away. I would hope it can be preserved and that it wont go to rack and ruin but im not so sure the state can afford it tbh which is a pity.

As Meathlass said though, roads should get priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

It has already gone to rack and ruin. Alot of the land has been leased to Coillte.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sterling10

900 acres with it too. Some rich farmer should buy it and turn the house into a hay shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

sterling10 wrote: »
    900 acres with it too. Some rich farmer should buy it and turn the house into a hay shed!

You know there's no such thing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

You know there's no such thing ;)

thats what they want you to think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

im on its doorstep and its being used by the public already, between walkers,horse riding,shooting,foreign boys fishing,quads,people cutting tree's,a lot of old hardwood tree's have been cut,that should never have been cut,tis a euromillions job for someone,hopefully me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Theres 900 acres leased to Coilte til 2082.The Ponsonby family sold it for 6 1/2 million in 2008(some timing by develepor)and are supposed to be in negs to buy it back for €2.1 from Nama.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Sorry to hear of the demise of Kilcooley Estate. My Palatine ancestors worked on the estate in the 1770's, clearing and farming the land for the owner. They only left in the middle of the 19th century.

Advertisement