Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee is for Closers

Options
  • 17-07-2013 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Making business development calls was like practicing amateur dentistry on myself. I knew that nobody was going to bang down the door of my office offering me money so I had to take action, fast.

If I could record some of my earlier cringeworthy calls and upload them to youtube I'm sure they would go viral. I just didn't know how to sell.

Nowadays I have it down to almost a fine art.

Step 1: Write notes on audience/lead/prospect
    Step 2: Write notes on how we can help their business
    Step 3: Clench buttocks
    Step 4: Deep breath
    Step 5: Make that call

Do any other boardies have any other tips for making business development/cold calls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getsome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zakyg3thfY

Boilor room might help you, if not its still pretty good film to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭UBERTILT

I gotta watch that movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Great movie and soundtrack to boot!

Yes would love to hear some suggestions from the seasoned cold caller.

How are the first couple of sentences dealt with, without sounding too cheesy and like I'm selling broadband from a call centre?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭herthabsc

Thanks Ubertilt for bringing this up. It seems a interesting film alright.

It is great saying "do it yourself" but I feel like death when I pick up the phone to ring somebody. Maybe I need practice and confidence but Christ it is so difficult. Some find it second nature, some don't.

I am looking at youtube etc but if there is any tips or any day courses you can go on re cold calling then that would be brilliant.

The winning attitude with stuff like that is if they don't want it, f**k them and move on to the next person. The law of averages is your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

El Rifle is right, it is a numbers game, just remember it is not personal, so do not take rejection/hang-ups to heart. Be bright, friendly and sound happy... smile on the phone, it works....but do not be overly familiar.

You only have a few seconds to grab their attention/interest, get you offer in fast, lines like " I beleive we can save you at least Euro 20 per month on your broadband and give you a better/faster service" The best telesales people have a great opening "hook " line.

Hook em or f*ck em!! Best ever New York taxi bumper sticker.. "So many pedestrians, so little time!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Understand the process:

From 3.30 on, tips on how to prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭UBERTILT

The winning attitude with stuff like that is if they don't want it, f**k them and move on to the next person. The law of averages is your friend.

This is so true. When I started out only about one in twenty calls resulted in solid qualified leads. This was so disheartening until I realized that every negative call was one step closer to getting to that sale. (Very cheesy and American but it works).

I got myself some pipeline app and if they don't require my services at the moment but ask me to call back in the future I always do.

I can usually pitch in under three minutes. I should be making 5 qualified leads per day. Out of five I should bink one. Rinse and repeat for optimal results.

This guy is my favourite!! Enjoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭herthabsc

Excellent video. So funny. Wish I had his one liners!!!

Advertisement