Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Tree disease killing grass?

• 17-07-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

First of all I would like to make it clear that I have very little knowledge of gardening or plants etc so I apologise if my questions are stupid.

My girlfriends back garden has been planted with grass about 10 months ago. Behind her back garden is a pathway that runs horizontally with a stream beside it. In between her back garden fence and that pathway is a large number of either Beech or Ash trees. (sorry I am not sure). These are very tall and their leaves often fall in our back garden during winter time etc. I noticed recently last (2 weeks) that the grass underneath the trees looks extremely thin and is burnt/scorched looking. I presumed it was due to the sun but my neighbour said that there is a disease in the trees which is killing the grass. The grass further down the garden (away of the trees) looks healthy and alot greener.

Could this be true that tree disease is killing the grass?

Also I cut the grass two weeks ago so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I have attached 2 pics but they were taken last night at 10.20pm so they are hard to make out in low light.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This is most probably a combination of three factors...

1. Drought. The roots of these big trees will be sucking up all/any available water in the ground and during this spell in particular it is showing on gras near hedges/trees.
    2. Shade. these trees will reduce the sun reaching grass and grass doesn't like too much shade.
    3. Fallen leaves. If a large volume of leaves fall and are left on a lawn then the rotting leaves can cause fungus which is harmful to grass.. Its not a "tree disease" as such, rather a result of rotting leaves.

From the pictures I'd say its drought.. she could water it regularly. but this sort of dry spell will only happen occasionally so it shouldn't be a ongoing problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

bbam wrote: »

From the pictures I'd say its drought.. she could water it regularly. but this sort of dry spell will only happen occasionally so it shouldn't be a ongoing problem.

Thanks BBAM.

I usually try to remove the leaves as soon as they fall but then again on continous windy days (more so in winter) I usually wait for the winds to die down as I would be doing it every day. I will water the grass later, hopefully this will help it. Thanks.

Advertisement