Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk gone off before expiry date.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

By any chance was the milf from a polish or eastern european store,a lot of them shut down the fridges each night to save money but with the increased temos we r having this would spoil the milk very fast.
    They yhen turn it back on in the morning and you are none the wiser.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I very much doubt it that this is how the OP bought this particular milk. But if it is so, then no wonder it went off in this weather. ;)
    A red herring me thinks!

Of course it is. I'd say with about 98% confidence- the OPs milk was thermally abused, either in transit, or more likely, in their improperly chilled fridge at home.

OP- as an aside- if your fridge isn't one of the self de-icing/cleaning fridges (which a lot of them are), its very possible, esp. in conditions of high humidy such as we have at the moment, that you may have a buildup of ice in your fridge. Contrary to what you'd imagine- if you have a buildup of ice- your fridge isn't nearly as efficient at cooling its contents as it would normally be.

Another possible culprit- young children- in weather like this- they love raiding the fridge for cold drinks or whatever else you may have. Good luck keeping the fridge closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I just opened the fridge to get something for breakfast.

Is it normal for cheese to sweat ?

CommanderC wrote: »
    I just opened the fridge to get something for breakfast.

Is it normal for cheese to sweat ?

Cheese is high in salt. If stored at above normal temperatures- it will release some of the water locked in by the sodium. The manner in which you store it will affect this too (if its wrapped in plastic, its more likely to sweat) as will the ambient humidy (higher = more likely to sweat).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sliced bread is getting mouldy quicker in this weather, even on the supermarket shelf with two days to go before BB date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    By any chance was the milf from a polish or eastern european store,a lot of them shut down the fridges each night to save money but with the increased temos we r having this would spoil the milk very fast.

How do you know or is this just a nasty little slur by a <SNIP>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I noticed the milk from our local super value is always going off after a day. The last time I was in the shop I put my hand towards the back of the fridge and it was warm. The ones at the front were cold (probably just put on the shelf). Said it to the manager and he shrugged and said he has not had any complaints (even though you could feel that all the cartons were warm and you could feel it). I don't bother shopping there anymore. A lot of the meat and dairy does not be fresh and the butter has an aftertaste also. No problems with other branches of SV I have shopped in. It could be the same with the OP shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - just a reminder to stay on topic.

I am happy to leave this thread open, as it is educational. But I will shut it down if I feel it's not being taken seriously.

dudara

I noticed the milk from our local super value is always going off after a day. The last time I was in the shop I put my hand towards the back of the fridge and it was warm. The ones at the front were cold (probably just put on the shelf). Said it to the manager and he shrugged and said he has not had any complaints (even though you could feel that all the cartons were warm and you could feel it). I don't bother shopping there anymore. A lot of the meat and dairy does not be fresh and the butter has an aftertaste also. No problems with other branches of SV I have shopped in. It could be the same with the OP shop.

I'd make a report to SuperValu head office in Cork. They take the brand very seriously and wouldn't be happy to hear that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lots of irish shopkeepers do the saame!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dudara wrote: »
    I'd make a report to SuperValu head office in Cork. They take the brand very seriously and wouldn't be happy to hear that.

I'd second that and I feel that the offending location should be named, as this post would put us all off using Supervalue in other locations - which is unfair to those other stores.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've had yogurt from Supervalu well within date that was gone off too. I just presume it was left out too long before they put it in their fridge. It's not the first time it has happened during a hot spell.
    Not an 'Eastern' European conspiracy at all.

I'd second that and I feel that the offending location should be named, as this post would put us all off using Supervalue in other locations - which is unfair to those other stores.

Please do not name the store. We not have proof to back this up.

dudara

I know because it was happening to me last year and I saw the girl closing up and she switched the fridge off.
    A few poles I know told me to stay clear of the polski shops for milf as they only drink uht and its common to do this with the drinks fridges but dare I mention an incident I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What's the story with milk delivery? In some small shops it's delivered early and left outside. Obviously not a great idea in this weather.

I got a litre of milk a couple of weeks ago and it was completely gone off, thick like yogurt. Brought it back and they swapped it no problem, the replacement was grand. One or 2 might end up a bit to long in the sun along the line of delivery

Part of locking up is to put down the thermal curtain on the fridges, and to turn off the lights on the fridges (but not the fridges themselves- just their lights). Could it be that what you saw was the lights on the unit being turned off?

Part of locking up is to put down the thermal curtain on the fridges, and to turn off the lights on the fridges (but not the fridges themselves- just their lights). Could it be that what you saw was the lights on the unit being turned off?

Well unless it had an internal backup battery ticking it over for the hours,no she unplugged the fridge from the cord thats what alerted me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well unless it had an internal backup battery ticking it over for the hours,no she unplugged the fridge from the cord thats what alerted me to it.

If that was the case everything they sell in the fridge would be gone off. Definitely the milk. Find it hard to believe myself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I suggest its not the milk going off before expiry date. The issue here, I believe, is that cows have been moved to fresh new grass & this give a taste for the first few days. The milk itself is fine.

I suggest its not the milk going off before expiry date. The issue here, I believe, is that cows have been moved to fresh new grass & this give a taste for the first few days. The milk itself is fine.

Errr- we're Irish, we all know what fresh milk tastes like. Most Irish cows are fed predominantly fresh grass- unlike in the rest of Europe. Also- if you were having milk from a single cow/herd/farm- perhaps you might attribute slight changes in taste to different feeding regimens- but when you buy your carton of milk- god only knows how many cows from how many different herds have contributed to that one carton.

If we were in France, Switzerland, Germany, The Netherlands- or elsewhere, where cows are predominantly stall fed all year round- perhaps your hypothesis might have some basis- but in an Irish context- its implausible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cienciano wrote: »
    What's the story with milk delivery? In some small shops it's delivered early and left outside. Obviously not a great idea in this weather.

I got a litre of milk a couple of weeks ago and it was completely gone off, thick like yogurt. Brought it back and they swapped it no problem, the replacement was grand. One or 2 might end up a bit to long in the sun along the line of delivery
    `

Yes it's an issue and the shops should work with the supplier to have the delivery done when there's staff available to take it into the store, as it leads to wastage, but that's easier said than done.
    Errr- we're Irish, we all know what fresh milk tastes like. Most Irish cows are fed predominantly fresh grass- unlike in the rest of Europe. Also- if you were having milk from a single cow/herd/farm- perhaps you might attribute slight changes in taste to different feeding regimens- but when you buy your carton of milk- god only knows how many cows from how many different herds have contributed to that one carton.

If we were in France, Switzerland, Germany, The Netherlands- or elsewhere, where cows are predominantly stall fed all year round- perhaps your hypothesis might have some basis- but in an Irish context- its implausible.

Irish cattle are feed indoors during the winter on silage/hay/grains not fresh grass. When the summer, eventually, comes they are released to feed on fresh grass which does change the taste. With the fodder crisis we had earlier this summer cattle are only now being released to the fresh grass so the change in milk taste is happening later, but the OP was affected by the hot weather.

Absolute nonsense. Cows are moved to fresh grass regularly here. Where did you get that nonsense from?

Del2005 wrote: »
    `

Yes it's an issue and the shops should work with the supplier to have the delivery done when there's staff available to take it into the store, as it leads to wastage, but that's easier said than done.

Irish cattle are feed indoors during the winter on silage/hay/grains not fresh grass. When the summer, eventually, comes they are released to feed on fresh grass which does change the taste. With the fodder crisis we had earlier this summer cattle are only now being released to the fresh grass so the change in milk taste is happening later, but the OP was affected by the hot weather.

Not all dairy herds are sheded for winter. Supplementary silage feeding does take place but this talk of suddenly being on grass affecting the taste is a wander too far from this topic of sour milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I notice a very odd change of taste from some milk at different times of the year. Not gone off, but not pleasant. Only 2 people in out house (from 5) can taste the difference, but it's definitely there. I couldn't drink a glass of it, where as I'd drink a lot of milk usually. Usually passes after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Absolute nonsense. Cows are moved to fresh grass regularly here. Where did you get that nonsense from?

Its obvious you're not from a farming background. Ask any of your farmer friends, if you have any, and they'll confirm what I said is true. You will get a taste from milk around this time of year, when cows diet is changed. And cows are not move to new grass regularly. Grass is mostly retained for fodder (silage) in the Winter half of the year when cows are indoors.

Its obvious you're not from a farming background. Ask any of your farmer friends, if you have any, and they'll confirm what I said is true. You will get a taste from milk around this time of year, when cows diet is changed. And cows are not move to new grass regularly. Grass is mostly retained for fodder (silage) in the Winter half of the year when cows are indoors.

:D:D Oh how ironic! I come from a long line of Dairy farmers. I know exactly how our herds are fed, thank you. They most certainly are moved to fresh pasture regularly. Grass is not "retained" for fodder. We use our silage fields for fodder certainly but we graze our cows on the finest grass - all year round if we can. What part of the world are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

A few poles I know tol me to stay clear of the polski shops for milf.

Fair enough, but what has that got to do with milK???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

I had thought it was an electrical regulation in commercial units to have fridges wired directly to an electrical connection, so they cannot be plugged out. I was told this was so cleaners or other staff would not discconnect a fridge unintentionally or temporarily and then forget to plug it back in, but I presume such a requirement might be to stop these cost savings measures.

OK posters - discussing grazing habits & livestock rotation is not in scope of this forum. Closing the thread as I think it has ran it's course.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement