Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poorly produced/mastered albums.

• 17-07-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Now this has been said to death but I was listening to Death Magnetic through a good set of earphones. It was painful. The production on that album is an abomination. It's distorted, fuzzy and just plain un-listenable.

Anyone have any other examples of badly produced/mastered albums (albums with poor sound quality)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

And justice for all.... Bit of an obvious jab perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Reek of Putrefaction from Carcass is terribly produced but still a classic in the genre, same with Symphonies of Sickness. I should know loads more but they're not coming into my head. Always thought Ride the Lightning sounded a bit iffy, obviously AJFA too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

They're more AOR/MOR rock, but GTR's 1986 LP sounds like it was recorded off a medium-wave radio station. The CD sounds equally bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Mixed too low/muddy sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Darkthrone's 'Transsilvanian Hunger' sounds a bit week as well, but I heard a few times, it's supposed to be like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

On the subject of DM the guitars have a very dry, scratchy, dull sound and they use it on all the songs, probably because they wanted to sound like a garage band recording their first demo. The guitar sound and its lack of variation is one the most offputting things about that album.

Bad production as on Transylvanian Hunger is not without its charms, one thing I dislike about modern metal is the uniform, over produced sound nearly every band has, it's standardised, corporate rock without any of the humanity that inheres in less than perfect production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

On the subject of DM the guitars have a very dry, scratchy, dull sound and they use it on all the songs, probably because they wanted to sound like a garage band recording their first demo. The guitar sound and its lack of variation is one the most offputting things about that album.

Bad production as on Transylvanian Hunger is not without its charms, one thing I dislike about modern metal is the uniform, over produced sound nearly every band has, it's standardised, corporate rock without any of the humanity that inheres in less than perfect production.

Did you ever have a listen to Beherit's 'The oath of black blood'? Now, that's a charming one as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Almost forgot about And justice for all....
    That album sounds cheap and very flat.

Now I'm straying off metal quite a bit here but RHCP's Californication is another offender. Way too loud, sounds a bit distorted at times and again, very flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

Nearly any black metal songs are unbearable on headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Most of the old Testament stuff just sounds really dated now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Morbid Angels "Blessed are the sick" always sounded a bit off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Iron Maidens "No Prayer for the Dying" sounds like it was recorded live thru 1 microphone....although i think they wanted a stripped back album after SSOASS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Quite a lot of early Black Metal has terrible production, mainly due to a lack of decent equipment. Some newer BM bands tend to copy that crappy quality, just to retain the feeling for the old stuff or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Tool's Undertow. The only Tool album i dont listen to regularly. I hate the production on it, always have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Agree with testament, and loads of early thrash and death metal. Exodus, Possessed, Death etc had some albums that I just cannot listen to.

On the flip side, Below The Lights by Enslaved isn't badly produced, but it has an insanely raw and unpolished production that I absolutely love. Probably my favourite album, production-wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sepultura - Morbid Visions is pretty bad.. the story that they didn't even tune the guitars for recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

Angron wrote: »
    Quite a lot of early Black Metal has terrible production, mainly due to a lack of decent equipment. Some newer BM bands tend to copy that crappy quality, just to retain the feeling for the old stuff or something.

I always assumed they did it on purpose to "get that kvlt sound".

I think Filosfems vocals were recorded with the worst mic Varg could find, seems ridiculous but still a good album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

At War With Satan by Venom. A prototype for the ....And Justice For All mix template, it sounds horribly weedy and probably ruined their chance of following on from the momentum built up by Black Metal and really breaking big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Nattens Madrigal by Ulver springs to mind. I like the raw sound of a lot of black metal records, including their debut Bergtatt, but the production on Nattens Madrigal sounds way off. Guitars are panned too hard left and right and the mix is all over the shop. It takes a litttle bit of enjoyment away from what is otherwise a solid album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Warrior Soul : Last Decade Dead Century - a superb album that I always listen to wondering how much more awesome it would have been with better production. "Charlies out of prison" is almost ruined by muddiness ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I always assumed they did it on purpose to "get that kvlt sound".

I think Filosfems vocals were recorded with the worst mic Varg could find, seems ridiculous but still a good album.
    Yeah, but he probably did have a terrible mic, and it could have been all he could get, he was in prison at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Angron wrote: »
    Yeah, but he probably did have a terrible mic, and it could have been all he could get, he was in prison at the time.
    The album was actually recorded in 1993 before he went to prison, it wasn't released until 1996. The reason he ended up with a cheap microphone was because he asked the studio engineer to get the worst microphone he could find and he came back with a cheap headset with a mic attached. He also used a tiny amp in the studio to make the guitars sound really lo-fi.

Oh right, the 96 thing had me thinking it was one of the ones he did in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Almost forgot about And justice for all....
    That album sounds cheap and very flat.

Now I'm straying off metal quite a bit here but RHCP's Californication is another offender. Way too loud, sounds a bit distorted at times and again, very flat.

Hetfield said in an interview that they deliberately changed there sound compared to master of puppets and that they recorded it with massive amps (or whatever they are called) with pillows or matresses tied to them to change the sound.

IIRC the album was recorded without any bass guitar whatsoever hence why it sounds flat.

My favourite Metallica album by far as it happens :)

Dermighty wrote: »
    Hetfield said in an interview that they deliberately changed there sound compared to master of puppets and that they recorded it with massive amps (or whatever they are called) with pillows or matresses tied to them to change the sound.

IIRC the album was recorded without any bass guitar whatsoever hence why it sounds flat.

My favourite Metallica album by far as it happens :)

the bass is there, its just mixed so low you cant hear it.

I recently read rex brown's (pantera) book, and theres a passage where metallica came through texas before justice came out and lars was hanging with the guys with the rough mix of the album which they played in lars car saying "check it out, we're turning down the bass to **** with jason!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What happens at the mastering stage? What does good/bad mastering of an album mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

mloc123 wrote: »
    Sepultura - Morbid Visions is pretty bad.. the story that they didn't even tune the guitars for recording.

Yeah that was poor... had its moments But Sepultura's songwriting was naive, too up til Beneath the Remains.

And that album was the tail end of the eighties when CDs and digital recording came along and you think of other masterpieces of that year or thereabouts when there was Kreator's Coma of Souls and of course South of Heaven, too

a revoution in quality and every 80s metal album i ever liked up to the first digital recordings sound like crap, to me now and remastering doesn't help. all that thrashing of cymbals didnt hold up well and albums would lack depth, and clarity but I am hoping; praying that Killing Technology and Dimension Hatröss are retrievable! Might even set about trying it myself.

What happens at the mastering stage? What does good/bad mastering of an album mean?

Mastering can affect the overall level of the album, by using various techniques. It can also add in some overall EQ if it's lacking.

What a good mastering engineer is trying to to is to maintain a good dynamic range (the quiet bits are quiet and the loud bits are loud) while still having a nice healthy overall level on the album. A good example of this is "The Patient" from Tool's Lateralus album (2001). This album has deservedly won audio engineering awards. The song starts very quietly but when it kicks in, it kicks in. Many newer albums will have a quiet intro almost as loud as the heavy parts!

In recent years with bands competing to be heard whats known as the "loudness war" has become more popular, with the school of thought that if you're louder than everyone else you'll be noticed quicker. Where this has gone wrong is that back in the day, when everything was mixed and mastered to tape if you recorded to tape at a "hot" (high) level the sound would distort in a way that was pleasing to the ear (some would call this vintage sounding)

When the digital revolution happened this wasnt possible, if you maxed out your recording levels you hit a brick wall (in fact in the industry its now known as brickwalling) and the resulting sound wasnt pleasing to the ear. Albums were mixed at near maximum levels leaving the mastering engineer nothing to work with, but still being told by the band/producer/record company to "make it louder".....and the mastering engineer wants to get paid doesnt he?

To best illustrate my point as to how much mastering has changed over the years, take a CD in your collection thats 20 years old or older, not a reissue or remaster and listen to it at a good volume. Now, pop in a CD from the last 5 years and dont touch the volume.....it's a lot louder isnt it?

The best recent example of it I can give is the remastered reissue of RATM's debut. Play "Killing in the name" from the original album and then play the reissue.... it's louder, clearer, brighter and overall nicer (and i bet you never had a problem with the original, it's a brilliantly recorded album)

Thats what mastering does.

Source: I'm an ex sound engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Black Sabbaths latest "13" has been affected by that.
    There's quite a bit of audible distortion on that album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Alice in chains album from a couple of years ago, black turns to blue or whatever or the name is, very like death magnetic, hurts the ears.

Advertisement