Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whey past best before date

• 17-07-2013 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I have a bag of unflavoured impact whey from myprotein.com that is a month past the best before date on the pack, but there's still about 0.5 - 1KG of whey left that I don't want to waste.

The bag's been properly sealed the whole time I've had it and the whey smells and tastes the same as normal.

Would it still be okay to take or should I just throw it out? (Bearing in mind that I'm broke and won't be able to afford any more for a bit)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭alsace royal

a mate of mine used to buy short dated and just gone protein cheep, never did him any harm and he took it for years, he was still putting on size over that time. prob mightnt have the same nutrishional value tho as a new tub but no point wasteing it in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I have a bag of unflavoured impact whey from myprotein.com that is a month past the best before date on the pack, but there's still about 0.5 - 1KG of whey left that I don't want to waste.

The bag's been properly sealed the whole time I've had it and the whey smells and tastes the same as normal.

Would it still be okay to take or should I just throw it out? (Bearing in mind that I'm broke and won't be able to afford any more for a bit)

"best before" means just that. It is best before that date but completely fine after. Read like "best served chilled" on a drink, its best when chilled but makes no real difference if it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Grand so, I'll finish the bag - thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"best before" means just that.
    Yep, if it had no date on it at all you would be eating it. Years back tinned food never had dates on it.

"use by" dates are the ones to pay attention to.

I have eaten myprotein whey over a year past the BB date, with no bother.

*disclaimer* if eating out of date protein causes you to mutate in some way please post pictures here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

*disclaimer* if eating out of date protein causes you to mutate in some way please post pictures here.

Will do, hopefully a Hulkesque mutation rather than one that will kill me :pac:

Will do, hopefully a Hulkesque mutation rather than one that will kill me :pac:

Im crossing fingers for an extra limb

Advertisement