Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog issue

• 17-07-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Picked up a rescue 'mutt' a while back.

Real sweetheart with people, and dogs when introduced to.

But whenever she's on the lead, or in the pen or the house... whenever she sees a dog outside or in the distance she barks rather aggressively.

Yet if said dog came to within proximity to her, she's all fine and tail wagging...

How do I sort this behavior?

Kinda giving off the impression she's a fierce dog while I'm out walking. :|

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Picked up a rescue 'mutt' a while back.

Real sweetheart with people, and dogs when introduced to.

But whenever she's on the lead, or in the pen or the house... whenever she sees a dog outside or in the distance she barks rather aggressively.

Yet if said dog came to within proximity to her, she's all fine and tail wagging...

How do I sort this behavior?

Kinda giving off the impression she's a fierce dog while I'm out walking. :|

Chances are if she is fine with dogs, it's probably the excitement that is causing her to bark. Perhaps (this will work better if you have a friend with a dog) when you notice her doing it, stop and turn the other way. When she settles and stops barking, turn to walk to the other dog again. She will learn (quite quickly as meeting another friend will be a positive experience that she wants) that the only way to interact with the dog, or at least to keep it in sight, is to approach quietly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I never understand why owners get scared when their dog barks... it's like when parrots say "whos a pretty boy" and the owners never get scared.. what I'm trying to say is barking is normal and though it might sound aggressive it probably isn't at all, I see this everyday when I'm walking mine, and as soon as another dog (breaks protocol) and starts barking or making some kind of noise, the owners actually punish the dog for being itself.. makes me sad sometimes.

I would teach the dog the sit command first, and then the wait command, this will help teach it patients, then allow some controlled interaction with other dogs (friends or neighbours willing to help you out). Some dogs get so excited so fast they don't know what they want to do first, and can end up looking like jump or a lunge.

Just yesterday I passed by two young girls (20-25) walking F**kin huge Dobermans, just a big row of teeth and an arse basically :P and when their dogs seen mine they started growling and getting excited, the two girls just said "nyet" (probably Russian) and the two dogs came to heel like commandos. It was amazing to see an animal that well trained.

If you have the time and the patients, I would strongly recommend doing at least some obedience training, enough so your confident, and you'll be surprised how much the dog wants to please you, and any problems you have today should fade into memory in short duration.

V

Advertisement