Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-07-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

He played Croke Park loads of time, sold shedloads of records and seemed to be here all the time. What was it about him that Irish people like, and would a comeback tour sell out? I think he's playing Vegas now.

Are you going to the Garth Brooks concert? 70 votes

Yeehaw!
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 70 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Past tense, and that's where it should stay

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

He had friends in loooooooooow places...

He'd sell out no bother. Awful, awful sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Every oulwan in the country at one point was doing line dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

'Cause I got friends in low places,
    Where the Whiskey drowns,
    And the Beer chases my blues away'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

He made country music sexy :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

If he came back I think he would sell out a reasonable size venue. Still plenty of people singing his tunes at parties etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

He was like a more dangerous Daniel O'Donnell for the backwoodsmen beyond the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Chucken wrote: »

I think you just killed the internet with that statement!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I was always more of a Chris Gaines fan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

His "Ireland" song was weirdly quite catchy.

• Advertisement

Every oulwan in the country at one point was doing line dancing.

Im an oulwan and I never line danced in my life. It was the kids here that took to it. It was great fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because culchies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

He'd sell out the O2 tonight ffs, still massively popular with idiots all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I'm with Chucken!

One of his numbers is my party piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

he was popular in a hell of a lot more places than just ireland ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Gareth Brooks as he was known round our way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

He played a niche genre, post-culchie I suppose would be a good name for it. It was like Irish country with more edge, so it was going to appeal to a lot of country people.

Robbo wrote: »
    I was always more of a Chris Gaines fan myself.

Loved that song and I have searched high and low for it without success!! Hint, Hint!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

He's good but he's no Mike Denver

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    I think you just killed the internet with that statement!!

Listen to this!! Any woman and some men would swoon at this being sang to her.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/e558764b2pwdda?h1=Garth+Brooks+%22The+Dance%22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Yes, he did. And he knows his audience! But why the wellingtons inside the trouser legs?
    Take it away Garth:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Ha, brilliant.
    Ireland has long been a slave to folk music and country is like folk music as understood by a Teletubby who fell out of a pickup truck straight onto his head. It’s folk music you don’t need a social conscience or patriotic pride to get in on. You just need to like easy little stories about rodeos and whiskey chasers and patriarchy, all told in metre-perfect rhymes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

When I was in school they made us do line dancing in PE with Garth Brooks songs. I still wake up at night with nightmares about it :(

jester77 wrote: »
    He played a niche genre, post-culchie I suppose would be a good name for it. It was like Irish country with more edge, so it was going to appeal to a lot of country people.

It was impossible to escape! My Mother wore me down, then he did a few covers that I liked and before you know it....addicted! I would suggest that 'Ireland' was the end for him, much as I liked him, I found it patronising although...it's been done before.

Rasheed wrote: »
    He's good but he's no Mike Denver

Ah Jayses. he used to play with his mammy (:pac:) in a pub here when he starting out. PAINFUL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Line dancing.

It was all inbreeding, I tell ye

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭argentum

Since he seems to have fans on this forun I'll let you in on a little secret..Every culchie in the country is going to want Santa to bring him or her tickets to see the man himself next year.He's playing the same type of gig as Bruce in the stadiums around the country following by a few nights in Dublin RDS.The deals done but won't be announced yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Ah Jayses. he used to play with his mammy (:pac:) in a pub here when he starting out. PAINFUL.

He can play with me any time ;)
    Love a man in a snow white suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

argentum wrote: »
    Since he seems to have fans on this forun I'll let you in on a little secret..Every culchie in the country is going to want Santa to bring him or her tickets to see the man himself next year.He's playing the same type of gig as Bruce in the stadiums around the country following by a few nights in Dublin RDS.The deals done but won't be announced yet

Don't toy with our emotions like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement