Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

And none of them are capable of playing Bach. Or Wagner . In any case we once had complex rock music and then along came punk to sort that out.

Rock, pop and country music should be simple. Hendrix aside it's never been complex and good.
    Yes it has. Pink Floyd for one. And "complex" is subjective. When does something become complex?
    And someone mentioned the beatles as simple. You could argue She Loves is simple. But what about Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day in the Live, Tomorrow Never Knows?
    For the record, I don't believe a song has to be complex to be good, but to say the opposite and a complex song can't be good is equally ridiculous.
    And also for the record, Gareth Brooks is an embarrassment, I'd rather admit to being sexually attracted to kids ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Garth brokes makes my ears bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yes it has. Pink Floyd for one. And "complex" is subjective. When does something become complex?
    And someone mentioned the beatles as simple. You could argue She Loves is simple. But what about Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day in the Live, Tomorrow Never Knows?
    For the record, I don't believe a song has to be complex to be good, but to say the opposite and a complex song can't be good is equally ridiculous.
    And also for the record, Gareth Brooks is an embarrassment, I'd rather admit to being sexually attracted to kids ;)

Below are the tracks on Beatles Number ones (I believe the biggest selling compilation of all time)

Vast majority of these would be very simple tracks musically and are all awesome.

1962–64
    1. Love Me Do"
    2."From Me to You"
    3."She Loves You"
    4."I Want to Hold Your Hand"
    5."Can't Buy Me Love"
    6."A Hard Day's Night"
    7."I Feel Fine"
    8."Eight Days a Week"

1965–66
    1."Ticket to Ride"
    2."Help!"
    3."Yesterday"
    4."Day Tripper"
    5."We Can Work It Out"
    6."Paperback Writer"
    7."Yellow Submarine"
    8."Eleanor Rigby"

1967–68
    1."Penny Lane"
    2."All You Need Is Love"
    3."Hello, Goodbye"
    4."Lady Madonna"
    5."Hey Jude"

1969–70
    1."Get Back"
    2."The Ballad of John and Yoko"
    3."Something"
    4."Come Together"
    5."Let It Be"
    6."The Long and Winding Road"

I never said complex music cannot be good ,but rather that complexity has no bearing on how good a track is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Im willing to pay a grand for a ticket.

No joke. Im a massive massive fan.

I dont know when to start to camp out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I don't even really know who he is.

I'm only 20, maybe a bit too young. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

The fact that you are saved you the hardship.

My ma had him on the stereo constantly throughout the 90s while I grew up. Especially the first half of the decade!

Talk about overplayed!!

Might get her a ticket or two for her birthday though if I can. Will get her out of the house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I used to hate his music as it was everywhere back then. But now i quite like hearing it as it reminds me of the late 90's when i was a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I'd say seeing him live would be spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Called him Barf. Nuff said.

Brookes and Springstein just continue to cash in on the nostalgia of middle aged people who have some extra cash and not much of a social life.

I've been to Springsteen about 6 years ago and I'm only turning 29 this week. I will be trying to get the max amount of tickets for Garth which I assume is 4 and the ages of the people they are for 21, 25, 29 and 31. Plenty more of my friends talking about going too all under 30. Sounds like a right middle aged group alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Culchies who wear wrangler jeans (boot cut) with George Webb shoes and collarless shirts and dodgy haircuts and can be found in cesspits like coppers locked shouting 'mighty craic altogether mickey' trying to 'get the shift' off a culchie nurse or ban garda or their female equivalent are the biggest fans of this mincer.

Cringeworthy on a grand scale!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

^^^^^^:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Changing holiday plans at a cost of xxxx to go see him live twice, in a row!!!!

One of the biggest selling recording artists EVER, married to one of the best country recording artists ever, No i dont think he has money problems.

He always maintained that when his kids got older he would go back on the road. Finally that time has arrived:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ps I hope trisha comes along and gives a performance as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Culchies who wear wrangler jeans (boot cut) with George Webb shoes and collarless shirts and dodgy haircuts and can be found in cesspits like coppers locked shouting 'mighty craic altogether mickey' trying to 'get the shift' off a culchie nurse or ban garda or their female equivalent are the biggest fans of this mincer.

I'm not a fan at all, but that post was more cringeworthy than any of his music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

jonnny68 wrote: »

Johnny68 - I happen to live beyond the Pale, but wouldn't consider myself a 'culchie'!
    Would rather pull my toenails off than see Mr. Brooks, but each to their own.
    How on earth do you control the migration of anybody West of Lucan contaminating your environs?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Brookes and Springstein just continue to cash in on the nostalgia of middle aged people who have some extra cash and not much of a social life.

I am one of those middle aged long time Bruce fans but I'm always amazed at the amount of new young fans Bruce has attracted in the last 10 years, fans who want his new music. Really pleases me to see it and seems to be a great inspiration to Bruce as he mentions it often. Especially his European audience.

As for Brooks, I love him, can't wait. He doesn't need to cash in on anything. He knows he was instrumental in widening the appeal of country music, albeit alienating many purists. Think we will hear a lot of new music from him soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

The man is a living legend, he played Croke park 3 times and the third he said if we waited he promised he would come back, and here he is, can't wait to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

Both Garth and Bruce have a set list of songs that connect with people in a powerful way

There's an old adage that country music is for people with big hearts and small brains.

Someone commented on the journal.ie site under the piece on Garth Brooks calling us fans rednecks. I laughed so much.

He was in retirement for about 13 or 14 years and coming out from that and he picked Ireland as the place to put on a celebration come back concert. It's an honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

He is good but there are better country artists in my opinion. Alan Jackson sadly will never play here I don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Someone commented on the journal.ie site under the piece on Garth Brooks calling us fans rednecks. I laughed so much.

Why?, most if not all his fans seem to be culchies and rednecks. Can't stand him myself but each to their own, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

McSween wrote: »
    He is good but there are better country artists in my opinion. Alan Jackson sadly will never play here I don't think.

Garth Brooks is a great artist in my view and he opened the doors to the whole country music genre for many. True, he inspired some awful Irish country acts like Mike Denver (who is basically Ronan Keating gone country and folk!), but that would happen anyway in boyband-dominated Ireland.

Yes, Brooks recorded some crass commercial stuff that is poor but he also recorded many class songs like the blues-rock of 'Ain't going down til the sun comes up', the blues-swing of 'Longneck bottle let go on my hand', the fabulous 'The thunder rolls' and others that are clearly in the tradition of classic country from the 1940s-1950s golden era of both country and rock 'n' roll akin to Hank Williams, Moon Mullican, George Jones, Lefty Frizzell or Jerry Lee Lewis. With Brooks widening the appeal, he allowed new generations to discover the older music as one leads to the other. Bruce Springsteen also has done a similar service and his country/folk/rock hybrid has opened the doors to a lot of older classics for new audiences too. Same with Alan Jackson. All good artists who encourage one to discover more.

Country music at its best is bluesy, enlightened, emotional music that is intelligent and thoughtful. Country music a la Mike Denver and others is just commercial folk answers to Louis Walsh's boybands and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nermal wrote: »
    There's an old adage that country music is for people with big hearts and small brains.
    What's your adage of whinny modern songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What's your adage of whinny modern songs?

It's music for people with big problems and small brains?

I'm getting worried now about the ticketmaster site crashing next thursday. Everybody I speak to is planning on going or they know loads of people who plan on going!

I've been to croker many times but not for a concert, anyone know how it works. For seated tickets can you pick a section or is it random seating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Originality is dead, long live the copy cats who rehash and rework their old tunes and employ a team of PR charlatans who convince you they are something worth talking about :pac:

Sheeple.
    Be good lemmings and go listen to Larry Gogan and pretend to like the music that you're force fed, sure there's no point in thinking for yourselves, that would take effort :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

washed up roundy cowboy..........only the irish bafoons would pay hand over fist to see this fella

Some poor girl had 40 of her guests cancel her wedding in july.

If it was me getting married, i'd call the whole thing off and go the concerts myself.

For all those people thats saying he's crap. Head on over to the ranting & raving forum and stay there.

There's a thread thats been there over 15 hours and not one person replied and a miserable two thanks. Says alot really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I'm going to try and go for the craic and a bit of a sing a long a heap load of gargle. Be great if the sun comes out.

If I'm lucky ill even go and shimmy into an oul one and bring her home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement