Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I used to work in a pub at the time and I can assure you that it was not just auldwans that we're into him.... it would have been pretty much youth orientated pub, discos, pool tables, duke box etc...and at his height he would have at least half the playing time on the duke box.young ones would come in and play nearly whole bloody albums at a time.

after years of psychotherapy I'm just about over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Catchy, soulful lyrics about loss and alcoholism all sung in a (Texas?) drawl with country music. How could we NOT lap that shít up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Lucena wrote: »

That proved my point, it was an artist that both myself and my Mother enjoyed equally. I also think it was something to do with trickle down economics and our emergence from the long recession of the 80's! Prior to the arrival of the Celtic Pussy! It was fun, it was lively and he made himself available and they attended in their droves! I understand he didn't skimp on the live shows either. A great night out was the word!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

At the time I thought he was brilliant, and today I still do. He had some class songs. Never saw him live. IF he is touring next year, I will be there.
    And I ain't no culchie or grandpa either:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

lazygal wrote: »
    Don't toy with our emotions like that.

It could happen :eek:

http://themusicuniverse.com/garth-brooks-planning-a-world-tour-comeback-album-next-year/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

ollie1 wrote: »
    When I was in school they made us do line dancing in PE with Garth Brooks songs. I still wake up at night with nightmares about it :(

How unbelieveably cruel. I'd sue.

He's married to Trisha Yearwood now.... Nashville Royalty! Love to see the two of them in concert :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

With a bit of TV work and marketing to remind the people who need to be reminded, he'd easily sell out a few nights in Croke Park.

He was catchy and of his time.

Wattle wrote: »
    How unbelieveably cruel. I'd sue.

Line Dancing was very inclusive. No need to have a partner so nobody was ever left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I used to work in a pub at the time and I can assure you that it was not just auldwans that we're into him.... it would have been pretty much youth orientated pub, discos, pool tables, duke box etc...and at his height he would have at least half the playing time on the duke box.young ones would come in and play nearly whole bloody albums at a time.

after years of psychotherapy I'm just about over it...

:D Hahahahahahahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

The Irish masses love MOR crap.
    See also: Bruce Springstein. That man is practically bleeding the country dry he tours here so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I remember it well, there was a summer in the mid-nineties(just around my junior cert I think), that south Tipperary turned into a mini Texas all of a sudden :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Chucken wrote: »
    Line Dancing was very inclusive. No need to have a partner so nobody was ever left out.

I'd rather smash my own toes with a lumphammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Listen to this!! Any woman and some men would swoon at this being sang to her.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/e558764b2pwdda?h1=Garth+Brooks+%22The+Dance%22

The Garth Brooks tribute band 'Friends in Low Places' played at the Bray festival last friday and I turned around to see an elderly couple dancing away to that song-it was beautiful to see...

Saw Garth in concert years ago and he gave a great show. I think it's the country cowboy lifestyle his music portrays that appeals to many people and not just the music itself.

Lot of mature women took it up for the exercise, I know my Mother did! She never wanted my Father to go, herself and the girls were having the time of their lives. Think there was more laughing done than dancing! I went with her once and there was one of her friends totally without co-ordination...it was better than a concert! Mind you, I also find the odd trip to bingo hilarious!! If you've never been, go once as an observer... Priceless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

Diairist wrote: »

Now that's just making my brown eyes blue! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

He wouldn't be my cuppa tay now...

He made country music sexy :/

That's a bit of a stretch!
    Listen to this!! Any woman and some men would swoon at this being sang to her.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/e558764b2pwdda?h1=Garth+Brooks+%22The+Dance%22

I'm seriously worried for your sanity Chucken :)

As a side note, a friends mother told me that Colin Farrell used to teach line dancing, a concept I find truly disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

When I was younger, I used to think he was singing about a pub called The Oasis where I grew up. It didn't help when my da told me "Yeah Garth Brooks drinks in there every weekend."
    I believed him.
    I was fairly thick as a child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

He made country music sexy :/

An oxymoron.

Candie wrote: »
    That's a bit of a stretch!

I'm seriously worried for your sanity Chucken :)

As a side note, a friends mother told me that Colin Farrell used to teach line dancing, a concept I find truly disappointing.

You show me one bit of proof that I ever claimed to be sane :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why? Boggers is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I remember driving past Croke Park when he was playing here before. Seemed to be mostly 40-50 year old auld ones wearing cowboy hats, cowboy boots and double denim/jeans with check shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Quite simple: the man got a Marketing and Advertising degree and unlike most who hold those qualifications actually had a talent for it...

[insert Bill Hicks Quote here]

He was a fad, like Springsteen is now.

I wonder who the next one will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think in 10-15 years time we'll be asking the same question about Michael Buble

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

This seems to be a glorified Dub thread :rolleyes: Dubs can't be seen to have any connection with the country. Whinny singers like Westlife and boyszone is more their style:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The thunder rolls is a great song in fairness - still gets the occasional play on my ipod anyway!

• Advertisement

Edz87 wrote: »
    He was a fad, like Springsteen is now.

I wonder who the next one will be.

Springsteen has been a highly successful performer for DECADES.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement