Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

sabat wrote: »
    Gil Scott Heron-B-Movie

Nostalgia. It's nostalgia for an act that was nostalgic for oldtime country singers who themselves were nostalgic for a mythic America that existed only in stories and films, a place where things were simpler, fairer and whiter. His popularity in Ireland stems from the rural grudge against Dublin as the former seat of their oppressors, (hey he's a country singer, we're from the countryside, this is our music)-a theme you can see running throughout the main thread here about the concert-and has lingered as a manifestation of the rural resistance to modernity and their belligerence towards the different.

What a load of bollocks.

dalippy wrote: »
    My personal opinion coming from somebody who plays and loves music is that if you are going to a garth brooks gig you have no real interest in music .

Your opinion is ridiculous and wrong though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 dalippy

Your opinion is ridiculous and wrong though.
    this is democracy and im free to criticise garth brooks fans..(of which you are obviously one)

A person could argue that liking garth brooks is ridiculous and quote Alexander Wrong Mesh..."wrong" but like my distaste for garth brooks and his cheesy cliched southern americana ..people are entitled to their opinions..even if it is their opinion to travel to dublin on a train ..eat bacon and cabbage and then eat bacon sangwidges..go to garth brooks..piss in some poor basterds garden in drumcondra..go to copper face jacks..pretend to do the riverdance while listening to spin master billys top 5 on repeat and finish the night off singing friends in low places .and then literaly fall on top of some girl and ask her "how she is for the ride"..piss in someone elses garden..piss on the side of the m1..m50..n52 outside the coach home to the countryside..well so be it..we live in a free country with free speech..(but not free garth brooks tickets)

Talk about a ****ing high horse. :rolleyes:

Talk about a ****ing high horse. :rolleyes:

Well if i have to stay on my high horse to dislike garth brooks so be it..;)
    under this comment will be a torrent of abuse from the country jump on the garth brooks bandwagoners

go on ..abuse me for disliking garth brooks...haha

• Advertisement

Here have a look at this

http: //m.youtube.com/watch? v=GbfNuMXA7x8
    remove the space before the v and after the semi colon

dont get me wrong im not anti country..the best trad session i was ever at was in cavan at the fleadh ceoil..****in brilliant...im just not down with the country and western thing..i dont get the association country people get with garth brooks..im from a city ..i dont feel new york culture fits in with mine or culture from any other big city...****in americana it has too much crass cultural influence on the world..mcdonalds..baseball caps.coca cola rap music..fins on 60s cars..country and western .garth brooks.**** sake..can we not take a more refined culture to take influences from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Every oulwan in the country at one point was doing line dancing.

And chung wan. All my friends in primary school were at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Chucken wrote: »
    He made country music sexy :/

No, that would be Emmylou Harris.

What a load of bollocks.

And then some.

Here have a look at this

http: //m.youtube.com/watch? v=GbfNuMXA7x8
    remove the space before the v and after the semi colon

dont get me wrong im not anti country..the best trad session i was ever at was in cavan at the fleadh ceoil..****in brilliant...im just not down with the country and western thing..i dont get the association country people get with garth brooks..im from a city ..i dont feel new york culture fits in with mine or culture from any other big city...****in americana it has too much crass cultural influence on the world..mcdonalds..baseball caps.coca cola rap music..fins on 60s cars..country and western .garth brooks.**** sake..can we not take a more refined culture to take influences from

If you're not "down with it", fine. I don't see the need to call other people out on what they like though. I don't have any fondness at all for Garth Brooks, but people like what they like, and they're entitled to get on with it without other people criticizing them. It's music ffs. Everyone has their favourites.

Also, you're completely deluded if you think that any music you listen to isn't influenced in some way by America. Where do you think rock n' roll comes from? Or the blues and soul and jazz? What about grunge and hip-hop? They pretty much all find their roots in American music traditions. Heck, even house music can be traced back to Chicago. The US has produced some of the best and most interesting artists to ever walk the planet - from Robert Johnson to Miles Davis, Billie Holiday to Frank Sinatra, the Pixies to Nirvana, Gil Scott-Heron to Public Enemy. A "crass cultural influence" indeed. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Aglomerado wrote: »
    His song "The River" was my class song for Leaving Cert 1994, we sung it in unison at the Grad Mass! :o

...and at our 20 year reunion at the weekend!:D

Don't think anyone's going to the concerts though! (I'm not!) But each to their own. I doubt Mick Flavin could pack out Croke Park.

this is democracy and im free to criticise garth brooks fans..(of which you are obviously one)

A person could argue that liking garth brooks is ridiculous and quote Alexander Wrong Mesh..."wrong" but like my distaste for garth brooks and his cheesy cliched southern americana ..people are entitled to their opinions..even if it is their opinion to travel to dublin on a train ..eat bacon and cabbage and then eat bacon sangwidges..go to garth brooks..piss in some poor basterds garden in drumcondra..go to copper face jacks..pretend to do the riverdance while listening to spin master billys top 5 on repeat and finish the night off singing friends in low places .and then literaly fall on top of some girl and ask her "how she is for the ride"..piss in someone elses garden..piss on the side of the m1..m50..n52 outside the coach home to the countryside..well so be it..we live in a free country with free speech..(but not free garth brooks tickets)

Leaving aside all that absolute townie sh*te you regurgitated you missed my point.

If you said that you don't like Garth Brooks or whatever type of music then fair enough but to say someone who likes Garth Brooks has "no real interest in music" is complete up your own hole sort of nonsense. Of course its music and of course people who are interested in Garth Brooks are interested in music and love music just as much as you claim to.

Its not unknown for people who play music to think there opinion counts for more when they talk about music and you are another example of this, its complete bull though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thoroughly disgusting and ignorant post.

osarusan wrote: »
    Thoroughly disgusting and ignorant post.

Im sure the residents in drumcondra would find the only thing disgusting about my comment is people urinating in their garden at the garth brooks gig..and so would you if it was your garden

If you're not "down with it", fine. I don't see the need to call other people out on what they like though. I don't have any fondness at all for Garth Brooks, but people like what they like, and they're entitled to get on with it without other people criticizing them. It's music ffs. Everyone has their favourites.

Also, you're completely deluded if you think that any music you listen to isn't influenced in some way by America. Where do you think rock n' roll comes from? Or the blues and soul and jazz? What about grunge and hip-hop? They pretty much all find their roots in American music traditions. Heck, even house music can be traced back to Chicago. The US has produced some of the best and most interesting artists to ever walk the planet - from Robert Johnson to Miles Davis, Billie Holiday to Frank Sinatra, the Pixies to Nirvana, Gil Scott-Heron to Public Enemy. A "crass cultural influence" indeed. :rolleyes:

I dont like hip hop..house music started as electronic dance in ibiza if you do your homework properly..and i cant deny blues and rock n roll have their routes in the states ..but jimi hendricks was influenced a lot while in england..the stones..led zepplin the beetles not all music came out of america while i do admit their style came of the blues scene .
    i find garth brooks cringeworthy ..so if you want to group garth brooks in with the people who have helped shape the landscape of good modern music with depth go ahead but had better throw the likes of justin beeber and jedward into that pot if thats your opinion.
    mind you its your opinion and your entitled to it ..which apparently im not..oh wait i am..we dont live in china ..garth brookes is cheesy ****e and is fans are hysteria junkies being led by the hand by the media..

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

House music didn't ****ing start in Ibiza, where are you getting that from! Its roots are in disco, and started coming on stream with the likes of Frankie Knuckles, Marshall Jefferson, Jesse Saunders...all American!

I agree with you about Garth Brooks being garbage though.

House music didn't ****ing start in Ibiza, where are you getting that from! Its roots are in disco, and started coming on stream with the likes of Frankie Knuckles, Marshall Jefferson, Jesse Saunders...all American!

I agree with you about Garth Brooks being garbage though.

ah look do we all have to keep throwing facts about..kraftwerk trailblased edm..and they were not exactly american etheir.its like this..i think garth brooks is **** middle of the road soft sell rubbish...i ****in love irish trad music..i dont like daniel o donnel ..or foster and allen who are middle of road irish ****..i dont like middle of the road anything..i dont like garth brooks and i wouldnt go if you paid me..its my democratic right to dislike garth brooks and to take the piss out of garth brooks fans..the republic of telly and family guy get away with it .why shouldnt i..if you lot dont like my opinion crawl back under your over sensitive rocks..or if you all like america so much go there buy a gun and go mad shooting people because its legal for over sensitive people with chips on their shoulders to buy ak47s there .i dont like garth brooks i think his fans are saps..if you dont like my opinion go **** yourselves..its an open forum

ah look do we all have to keep throwing facts about..kraftwerk trailblased edm..and they were not exactly american etheir.its like this..i think garth brooks is **** middle of the road soft sell rubbish...i ****in love irish trad music..i dont like daniel o donnel ..or foster and allen who are middle of road irish ****..i dont like middle of the road anything..i dont like garth brooks and i wouldnt go if you paid me..its my democratic right to dislike garth brooks and to take the piss out of garth brooks fans..the republic of telly and family guy get away with it .why shouldnt i..if you lot dont like my opinion crawl back under your over sensitive rocks..or if you all like america so much go there buy a gun and go mad shooting people because its legal for over sensitive people with chips on their shoulders to buy ak47s there .i dont like garth brooks i think his fans are saps..if you dont like my opinion go **** yourselves..its an open forum

Such articulate and cogent opposition deserves paragraphs.

Candie wrote: »
    Such articulate and cogent opposition deserves paragraphs.

True:)lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Ah here! 4 threads on the same subject!!! 1 in gigs and three here in AH. Only so much a man can take!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

The poll should be erased.

Are you going? ... Nobody's going now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The thread was brought back by a banned user and as pointed out, 4 threads on this is enough for one website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement