Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember him being very popular in Dublin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Edz87 wrote: »
    He was a fad, like Springsteen is now.

I wonder who the next one will be.

That young whipper snapper - he'll never last, has one hit wonder written all over him!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I love country and western music, but not the muck Gareth Brooks sh*ts out time after time. Its a great change of pace from what I usually listen to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

That young whipper snapper - he'll never last, has one hit wonder written all over him!

I BLAME x FACTOR!!

Edz87 wrote: »
    He was a fad, like Springsteen is now.

I wonder who the next one will be.

I agree to a point but Springsteen has been top class for a very long time.

Tomorrow night is going to be my mates 3rd time at a Springsteen gig but doesnt even own one single album! That goes for a lot of the people who will be at his gigs in Ireland over the course of this week. Its cool to the gig as everyone is talking about it and fair play.

Im much happier checking out a world class performer like springsteen than to be pissing away my money on a video game or down the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

He gave a great show, was good at what he did and people enjoyed it. It’s great that not everyone has the same taste. I worked in a very popular pub in Dublin and this music was very big among 20-30 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Have to laugh at this thread. MOR country music is huge in Dublin as anyone who has had the misfortune to live near a suburban pub on a karaoke night can testify!

"Blame it all on me roo-its,
    I showed up in boo-its"

"Blame it all on me roo-its,
    I showed up in boo-its"

Damn you, I cant stop smirking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Because he was a pioneer for young black football stars?

dd972 wrote: »

Garth Crooks eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I love country and western music, but not the muck Gareth Brooks sh*ts out time after time. Its a great change of pace from what I usually listen to

A country and western hipster, god between us and all harm, what next?

Bambi wrote: »
    A country and western hipster,

No.

dd972 wrote: »

Ah you beat me to the Garth Crooks reference you absolute bastard!:mad:.......:pac:......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

No.

I agree, country music in its entirety is naff and uncool, can't stand it :cool:

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Candie wrote: »
    As a side note, a friends mother told me that Colin Farrell used to teach line dancing, a concept I find truly disappointing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5LMc5bTq1M

Check out 0:06 to 0:11!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I dunno why but scummers used to love him probley still do. The amount of sessions in Tallaght i had to endure his crap being played at was kinda sick!.

Actually saying that you be surprised at what kinds music gets played in most random situations.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Gareth Brooks is akin to Radiohead or The Rolling Stones compared to the Country and Western sh**e that's on some Irish Radio stations.

I'm looking at you Mid-West Radio!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Gareth Brooks is akin to Radiohead or The Rolling Stones compared to the Country and Western sh**e that's on some Irish Radio stations.

I'm looking at you Mid-West Radio!!

Shannonside with Junior Walker every evening is hard bet for a bit of Irish Country and Western.

Rasheed wrote: »
    Shannonside with Junior Walker every evening is hard bet for a bit of Irish Country and Western.

Mid-West ALL day is a hard bet for Country and Western.

Mid-West ALL day is a hard bet for Country and Western.

Hmm, I might have to transfer! Will Mid West tell me the deaths though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Why has Michael Bublé a weeks residency in the O2 :confused: at least Brookes was fun in comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My old lad loves that

efb wrote: »
    My old lad loves that

I love Junior too! Grand these evenings!

Hmm, I might have to transfer! Will Mid West tell me the deaths though?

Yeah it will.
    The deaths and country and western music are its winning formula!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Got to love the "Country and Irish" Show on Corks County Sound. I enjoyed Garth Brooks, a good few decent tunes.

I always enjoyed his stuff to be honest. You can't beat a bit of Garth brooks for a sing song either. I would still listen to some of his songs from time to time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Got to love the "Country and Irish" Show on Corks County Sound. I enjoyed Garth Brooks, a good few decent tunes.

Oh yes, C103, where the 21st century never intrudes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Oh yes, C103, where the 21st century never intrudes.

Cork,where the 21st century never intrudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

What's with the dissing of other's musical preference? Surely the younger generation are more evolved than that! Live and let live and enjoy what you are currently listening too, as we are! I have a 17 Year Old, not your average Bieber Fan, an accomplished musician with an extremely wide and varied ear, taking in a huge range of genres from Classical to whatever your having yourself and, despite her interest she still listens and appreciates C & W, as well as some of my other musical treats, too numerous to mention here.

Chill out and keep an open mind, I remember well in my teens completely dismissing my Mother's musical taste, and I'm hear to tell you, it's what you learn after you know it all that's important. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I love him! Think he is great... I am under 60....and under 30....and under 25.... I'm not ashamed... :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement