Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Aw Glee does Country! :D

Only with farmer boys and not airbrushed hotties! Some of them modified the lyric "I will sail my vessel" to "I will drive my tractor"... :D

Also the line dancing was all the rage. Even our very prim and ladylike church organist was turned out in jeans and cowboy boots twirling and clapping withe the best of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

lazygal wrote: »
    He played Croke Park loads of time, sold shedloads of records and seemed to be here all the time. What was it about him that Irish people like, and would a comeback tour sell out? I think he's playing Vegas now.

I thought he only played here once? Well a few nights in Croke park

He has a residency in Las Vegas but yeah he'd sell out a week of gigs in the O2 - similar to what Michael Buble doing now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My old fellah putting on 'The Green Scene' on LMFM every Saturday morning is the reason I became an existential nihilist at a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have a big soft spot for Garth. Not a 'I'd go and see him' soft spot, but fond of his old tunes nonetheless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Irish masses love MOR crap.
    Indeed, when Foster and Allen can sustain a nicely lucrative career, playing the sin bins of the sticks, by comparison Garth Brooks is Bowie, Lennon and Dylan rolled into one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Wibbs wrote: »
    Indeed, when Foster and Allen can sustain a nicely lucrative career, playing the sin bins of the sticks, by comparison Garth Brooks is Bowie, Lennon and Dylan rolled into one.

Actually, Foster & Allen have had a hugely successful international career. Every one of their albums has charted in the UK Top 40! A Yorkshireman once told me that there wasnt a granny in the north of England that didn't have at least one F&A CD!

Inspiration for this sketch too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Gareth Brooks is akin to Radiohead or The Rolling Stones compared to the Country and Western sh**e that's on some Irish Radio stations.

I'm looking at you Mid-West Radio!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Robbo wrote: »
    I was always more of a Chris Gaines fan myself.

That wasn't a bad cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Consider Eric Church (sexiest man in Country?) as a suitable replacement...he even sings about drinking.

or maybe Jason Aldean

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

So going by some of the posters on here then I have a bad obsession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Wibbs wrote: »

I believe Foster and Allen also made a few bob by breaking the cultural boycott and playing in apartheid South Africa, shame on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Because hes class!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

MadsL wrote: »
    Consider Eric Church (sexiest man in Country?) as a suitable replacement...he even sings about drinking.

or maybe Jason Aldean

Is the first guy not Shane Byrne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

My username comes from a cover song he did.

When is he coming back? Been waiting ages for him

Here's my song, I love it

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xdoiyv_garth-brooks-sings-hard-luck-woman_music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Im his biggest fan. I have all his cds and a garth brooks callcard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Nobody mentioned his cute tight arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

aujopimur wrote: »

I think that was implied when I said he made country music sexy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I used to love Garth Brooks when I was younger. I wouldn't be big on him now. Apparently he's making a come next year. I would like to see him in concert.

I wonder would he be any good in concert now. Didn't someone or maybe even a few take breaks away from their music careers and come back - sh1te? Boyzone took a break though and came back better. Never liked them first time around.

George Strait is a brillant american county singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

Garth added pop/rock to country music (already massive in Ireland, if less so among younger people) and added rock/pop - catchy tunes, rousing ballads, etc. And was quite good-looking. A spot-on formula for Ireland, especially among the wimmenz. I'd refute he was as bland as Michael Bublé, to be fair.

Yeh I do too but someone was wondering about C&W hipsterism and there definitely is - among some of the fans of the above kinda stuff.

Michael Buble is brillant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Say what you will about him, the fact remains that only 2 other artists have outsold Garth Brooks. And those 2 artists are Elvis Presley and The Beatles. Unbelievable, Jeff!!! :eek:

Since 1991, he has sold something sick like over 68,000,000 albums in the United States alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Garth Crooks had a cute, tight arse? Wouldn't think it as he spends every opportunity talking out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Apparently he's making a come next year

Might give that a miss..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Pics or GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Garth was a lot better than Billy Ray f'ucking Cyrus, that's for sure.
    tallus wrote: »
    That wasn't a bad cd.
    Prince tribute act right down to the hair.
    Michael Buble is brillant.
    Well in your opinion. In my opinion he is an extremely poor artist, very low on talent - mediocre voice, mediocre few original songs; covers "lounge" standards, as have many many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MadderMax

It's proven that you don't have to have a great voice to impress Irish "music" fans. Michael Buble must be laughing his tits off at all of the fawning morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

argentum wrote: »
    Since he seems to have fans on this forun I'll let you in on a little secret..Every culchie in the country is going to want Santa to bring him or her tickets to see the man himself next year.He's playing the same type of gig as Bruce in the stadiums around the country following by a few nights in Dublin RDS.The deals done but won't be announced yet
    Doubt this is happening. I say it will happen but not in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Every oulwan in the country at one point was doing line dancing.

Young wans too... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Start on those unanswered prayers, folks.

http://www.goldenplec.com/garth-brooks-to-tour-world-in-2014/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement