Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Here's hoping it's not announce for October next year as if he does then my wedding may have to be *ahem delayed

I dont think it will be October.

There was a lad somewhere at the beginning of the thread that somehow had inside information and apparently venues are booked for summer.

I think Cork was one of the venues, so thats the Marquee in June or July. Thats when we'll see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ireland Garth Brooks/line dancing phase is the most embarressing period in our history. Anyone who took part in it: Shame on you

I dont think it will be October.

There was a lad somewhere at the beginning of the thread that somehow had inside information and apparently venues are booked for summer.

I think Cork was one of the venues, so thats the Marquee in June or July. Thats when we'll see him.

Marquee would be way too small, he would sell out every night that the Marquee runs for never mind the one night he would get there.

Aviva, Croke park, Páirc Uí Chaoimh etc are the sort of venues required for Garth.

I'd say nearly everyone I know will be looking to go to this, both young and old. I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If Aiken are involved it will be the same venues as Bruce.
    Thomand Park, Nowlan Park, Cork and Belfast.

Marquee would be way too small, he would sell out every night that the Marquee runs for never mind the one night he would get there.

Aviva, Croke park, Páirc Uí Chaoimh etc are the sort of venues required for Garth.

I'd say nearly everyone I know will be looking to go to this, both young and old. I can't wait!

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is in Cork? Ok I didnt know that. So maybe not the Marquee.

Was kind of hoping it would cause thats normally in June or July. I dont think I could wait until August or after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hope he does announce an Irish date. He might tour the us in the summer and then europe in winter. hopefully an irish date will be on sale for xmas doubt it though but you never knw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

The whole Garth Brooks craze lives on today through the like of Nathan Carter, Mike Denver, etc. I always find it baffling how many people my age listen to country music. There was a time last year when you couldn't enter a pub or club without hearing wagon wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

NiallMH93 wrote: »
    The whole Garth Brooks craze lives on today through the like of Nathan Carter, Mike Denver, etc. I always find it baffling how many people my age listen to country music. There was a time last year when you couldn't enter a pub or club without hearing wagon wheel.

i only heard that song for the first time ever a few weeks ago. Cant wait to see Garth if he does play ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

Sure everybody listens to whatever music they like. My personal taste is country, and luckily it is going through a massive revival in the northwest

Young and old going to dances now. Last concert I was at was a group of 20 year old lads line dancing jiving and waltzing

• Registered Users Posts: 38 stan smith

he will be playing kilkenny next summer.prob two nights

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

I remember the Garth Brooks sensation of 1993-1994. It involved Irish college, the crazy dreams of 'the shift' and a shower of rowdy muck-savages from Kildare belting up Dancing Around The Fire.

Anyways, this is proof that country music can be beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ireland Garth Brooks/line dancing phase is the most embarressing period in our history. Anyone who took part in it: Shame on you
    Not as embarrassing as your spelling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Rabelais wrote: »
    I remember the Garth Brooks sensation of 1993-1994. It involved Irish college, the crazy dreams of 'the shift' and a shower of rowdy muck-savages from Kildare belting up Dancing Around The Fire.

Anyways, this is proof that country music can be beautiful.

Muck savages everywhere, not just those from Kildare, were similarly enthused.

I was a young muck-savage boy from a different muck-savage county at the time when Gareth Brooks took flight.

And good luck to them: it was mostly about having fun, i think.

Mainly i responded, though, because of your posting of that amazing tune.

Was immeditelly my favourite off x/o and has remained so.

Never really considered it a 'country' song, not that genres should matter, but can see why you would see it as such; has a country feel to it, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

stan smith wrote: »
    he will be playing kilkenny next summer.prob two nights

Kilkenny? Where did you get that info?

Chucken wrote: »

Probably the same place I did...connections!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Cienciano wrote: »

Not really my thing, that whole "Break for the Border" vibe. But there's a lot worse things to happen in our recent history than a bit of hick hop trickery on the dance floor :D

I'd be more into Johnny Cash, Willy Nelson, Hank Williams, The Handsome Family, Calexico, (early) ZZ Top myself.

Probably the same place I did...connections!

Well don't leave us in suspense!! When are tickets out?

Well don't leave us in suspense!! When are tickets out?

I would assume when the promoters announce the gigs then all will be revealed.

He's in Vegas with the band from Jan-April so straight here then please!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

lazygal wrote: »
    Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Fecking farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I actually cannot wait. He better be playing Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Wagon Wheel isn't a country song though. It was written by Bob Dylan. It was just culchie-fied in Ireland it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Wagon Wheel isn't a country song though. It was written by Bob Dylan. It was just culchie-fied in Ireland it seems

It was sketched by Bob Dylan, completed by Old Crow Medicine Show(according to wikipedia at least). And to be fair, the original is pretty much a country/bluegrass song as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Last concert I was at was a group of 20 year old lads line dancing jiving and waltzing

Oh God that's sure to be a cure for homesickness. Uurrrghh

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

I have heard the same, from someone involved in the Kilkenny gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Also, why is the tense of the thread title in the past?!

Going by the number of people on here saying they will be going after tickets, his popularity is anything but in the past ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

Although no annoucement yet for this and at this stage it's only speculation, I'm really looking to Garth Brooks if he makes a come back with a tour. Can't wait.

Although no annoucement yet for this and at this stage it's only speculation, I'm really looking to Garth Brooks if he makes a come back with a tour. Can't wait.

Announcement in post 170 :)

Here's his new song in America. We'll probably never get it here.

http://bigfrog104.com/garth-brooks-releases-first-new-song-in-5-years-the-call-listen/

Its brilliant and he still has it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

A lot of this is what I term 'boyband folk' or 'Louis Walsh folk'. Mike Denver, Derek Ryan, that type of stuff. It is not really country music and is all a more urban cross between boybands and Garth Brooks-style country rock. Mike Denver even did 'Seasons in the sun', a Westlife song. Mike Denver is a Westlifer with a stetson hat! That is why this quare hybrid goes down well with younger audiences!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement