Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

laugh wrote: »
    People love Jesus and football and make a living from agriculture.

People who live in rural areas in all nations tend to make living from agriculture. The simile isn't exactly hitting me like a brick between the eyes.

So the city folk in Ireland are like those New York types - drinking coffee, walking on footpaths, reading newspapers.
    This is the thing. When done well, country music can really feel quite heartfelt and real, especially since all the best country artists do write their own material, so a lot of it does come from a genuine place.

I love country music myself (American stuff) but I wouldn't go holding them all up as paragons of sincerity, nor would they do it themselves. E.g. Johnny Cash's time in prison wasn't up to much but it didn't stopping penning some the world's most famous prison ballads. No fault. It's entertainment at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

topper75 wrote: »
    I love country music myself (American stuff) but I wouldn't go holding them all up as paragons of sincerity, nor would they do it themselves. E.g. Johnny Cash's time in prison wasn't up to much but it didn't stopping penning some the world's most famous prison ballads. No fault. It's entertainment at the end of the day.

As I said, even if it isn't totally heartfelt, it still captures the right mood, as Johnny Cash would have done with the prison songs. However, Johnny Cash still wrote I Walk The Line as a symbol of devotion to his wife, and June Carter wrote Ring of Fire about Johnny Cash. Hank Williams wrote Your Cheatin' Heart and I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry about his ex-wife. Dolly Parton wrote Jolene about a woman who she thought was flirting with her husband. There are many other examples. Like I said, not every song is going to be totally heartfelt, but a lot of them are, and I just think country is quite good at capturing some of those emotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

This is the thing. When done well, country music can really feel quite heartfelt and real, especially since all the best country artists do write their own material, so a lot of it does come from a genuine place. And even if a song isn't about some really heartfelt issue, songwriters in country tend to capture a certain mood very well, with all the right imagery. A lot of them have a great ear for melodies too. It's like how there are different brands of pop music - some pop can be quite meaningful, and other times it's totally vacuous.

For example, Dolly Parton gets a lot of flack unfairly, but she has written a bunch of hits, not to mention being able to play multiple instruments. She has a knack for writing a great tune, a lot more than a lot of people working in music. And Jolene is an absolute classic, no two ways about that.

Not to mention all the great vocalists in country music. Obviously Johnny Cash is one of the most distinctive and recognizable voices in music, but Merle Haggard has a fantastic voice also. The unmistakable huskiness of Patsy Cline is wonderful to listen to and despite crossing over, Linda Ronstadt owes a great deal to country music. Roy Orbison cut his teeth as a singer in country. Even Ray Charles dabbled in it, releasing two albums of country songs, including I Can't Stop Loving You. Actually Ray Charles' recordings of country songs really shows how well country lends itself to a soulful sound.

That is true. Moon Mullican and Hank Williams are artists I only came across recently and they are excellent (I have been recommended to try another guy called Jimmie Rodgers who is similar bluesy country). I only discovered them by accident and find their bluesy style 100s of miles away from the 'boyband folk' of Mike Denver. Johnny Cash is great, as is Ray Charles. George Jones and Merle Haggard also great. As is Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, etc. Roy Orbison, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, even Beatles all were influenced by and did the old country. All great artists. Garth Brooks obviously can show he is aware of the older country on many of his songs. Linda Ronstatt is the start of the country rock revival.

Mike Denver and the Three Amigos type stuff betrays the bluesy roots of country. These have a distinct 'act assembled by management' feel to them and are not truly versed in country. Instead, they are an answer to what Louis Walsh's acts are doing in pop. I hate the way Mike Denver puts on this fake accent of his. And why he has to be promoted as the premier country act in Ireland bugs me. Nathan Carter is a better singer but I feel that they are also giving him the same soulless stuff to do like 'The dancer'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Announcement due on Monday at 11.45am.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Announcement due on Monday at 11.45am.

:D:D:D:eek:

Can't wait!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

2fm didn't mention Garth Brooks. Right now it's just speculation that's it Brooks making an announcement on Monday. I really hope it is Garth Brooks. Can't wait.

Hope he has a concert for a Saturday and it doesn't fall on a week day.

Can't wait for Garth Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Invisible Pink Unicorn

That was like in the 90s, when the vast majority of people were off their faces with those 'Mitzi Turbo Disco Biscuits', they could all feel the emphatic love for all, unfortunately it didn't extend to Brooks alter ego Chris Gaines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

That was like in the 90s, when the vast majority of people were off their faces with those 'Mitzi Turbo Disco Biscuits', they could all feel the emphatic love for all, unfortunately it didn't extend to Brooks alter ego Chris Gaines.

I remember the hype well, In rural Ireland people were going nuts for garth brooks, personally I thought it was cringe.

Great times with regard to house music though, the best era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Even with two left feet, anyone can line dance!

• Advertisement

Big announcement in Croke Park monday, strongly rumoured to be Garth!

The excitment is building big time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

lufties wrote: »
    I remember the hype well, In rural Ireland people were going nuts for garth brooks, personally I thought it was cringe.

Great times with regard to house music though, the best era.

Same here, I hated it with a passion. People actually couldn't believe it when I said I didn't like Garth Brooks. All that line dancing crap too. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

you see, some trees are able to fly, and some can walk even, but sometimes trees arent able to walk, and thats what a bush is, and well, bushes dont exist, none of it does. it's all holograms. HOLOGRAMS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The amount of Irish country and western singers there are that sing that kind of music, with the Southern accent and everything intact is kind of baffling though. It's like fake country music. Weird phenomenon that.

Country & Irish is kinda like the musical wing of the GAA.

It's basically cabaret with Stetsons - music for folks who wouldn't have a huge interest in music, if that makes sense. Simple stories told in a plain fashion, with uncomplicated time signatures and chord changes you can see coming a mile off. The Southern schtick is just giving 'em what they want I suppose.

Fans of the genre would probably find Brook's stuff a little edgy, which is an odd thought.

Big announcement in Croke Park monday, strongly rumoured to be Garth!

The excitment is building big time :D

Fierce excitement here too. With an announcement on Monday tickets will probably go on sale on Thursday or Friday. It's not very fair to give a few days notice to gather up monday for a ticket or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

SOLD - Stamp Out Line Dancing

Garth Brooks flew into Dublin earlier. Someone over in the gigs and events forum tracked his private jet (I laughed so much at this) and Brooks landed around noon and went straight to Croker for an announcement. He announced two dates for July - friday the 25 and saturday the 26th. Tickets go on sale Thursday the 30th. 65 euro a ticket.

I'm hoping there will be a golden circle section. Nothing on ticketmaster yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Threads like this make me feel as though Father Ted was a fairly accurate portrayal of Irish life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lazygal wrote: »
    He played Croke Park loads of time, sold shedloads of records and seemed to be here all the time. What was it about him that Irish people like, and would a comeback tour sell out? I think he's playing Vegas now.

Why wouldn't one of he biggest country singers in the world not be popular in Ireland?

Obviously not everyone's taste, good thread though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I have no idea why he's so popular. All of his fans should be hog tied and flogged, that'd learn em:D

• Advertisement

Threads like this make me feel as though Father Ted was a fairly accurate portrayal of Irish life.

Whats exactly is the problem with people getting excited about seeing one of the biggest names in music playing live after not touring for many many years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Meh* One Direction and Miley Cyrus could sell out a month at the 02 each with no problem at all, I find that far more worrying about what it says about Irish life then a couple of Garth Brooks gigs....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

YAHOOOOOO cmon garth. I cant wait.
    and to all those who dont like country. Your opinion is worthless. worthless I tell you.

One guy even tried to associate country with gaa,. What next, rugby boys only listen to opera., soccer lads only listening to dance,
    g'way ta ****

have some brooks and dunn.......( everbody that listens to Garth knows it but garth is hard to find on youtube) so Ill play something country by the next best thing :)

Garth Brooks flew into Dublin earlier. Someone over in the gigs and events forum tracked his private jet (I laughed so much at this) and Brooks landed around noon and went straight to Croker for an announcement. He announced two dates for July - friday the 25 and saturday the 26th. Tickets go on sale Thursday the 30th. 65 euro a ticket.

I'm hoping there will be a golden circle section. Nothing on ticketmaster yet.

Dublin will be taken over by country folk and wannabe cowboys that weekend I bet. Flights out of the country will be full just to get away from it all.

Owen McLove playing support? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Whats exactly is the problem with people getting excited about seeing one of the biggest names in music playing live after not touring for many many years?

Untwist thy knickers, it wasn't an entirely serious comment.
    conorhal wrote: »
    Meh* One Direction and Miley Cyrus could sell out a month at the 02 each with no problem at all, I find that far more worrying about what it says about Irish life then a couple of Garth Brooks gigs....

Why are any of those particularly worrying though? People like different things. That's life!

There's a lovely written piece here on Garth Brooks and his upcoming Irish gigs
    http://garthbrooks.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This year's crap music bandwagon, following in the footsteps of Springsteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

In fairness I can see why people like Springsteen, has some catchy tunes. And puts on a hell of a show, he was on well over 3 hours per show when he was here last. You never see many acts do that, he gives his monies worth.

Garth Brooks on the other hand, really can't see the appeal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Lads went stone mad for line dancing in the 90s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement